E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dash warning lights always on??

12-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
gte636p
Rep
Drives: 328i

Dash warning lights always on??

I've been away from my car for a long while and found the battery dead and the interior a bit damp when it came to start it up again. In addition, the battery tray had water in it, and the battery cables broke at the bulkhead when I was changing the battery out. I was running a lead acid battery and made the switch (unbeknownst to me) to an AGM battery. The bulkhead connection has been fixed and the battery has been coded in through tool32 with no errors noted... which brings me to where I am now.

Whenever I connect a charged battery to the car all of the dash lights come on and stay on, even with the keys completely removed from the car. There are lights that I didn't even know were possible in an e92. I have checked the fuses for the cluster given in the glove box, and all of the possible fuses seem to be okay (although my diagram seems to be different from those found online).

I'm left to draw on straws and ask for ideas. The car is a good 8 hours away and it'll be a month before I can really do anything to it, but I'm all ears.

Could the display have got a bit of humidity in it and fried something? (the rear dash bar now has bubbles of rust on it too). Can the footwell module cause this havoc?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Dead battery + water is a bad time. No one online can diagnose this issue. Prepare to check every connector for corrosion.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
gte636p
Rep
Drives: 328i

Made it back to the car... unplugged the JB (not Fuse box) and replaced it with one known to be working. same issues.

However, the shift indicator light blinks about twice a second when the car is supposed to be in sleep mode (16min after last touched). I know this is a huge hint, but don't know what the hint is. Anyone know what this means?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Do you have any sort of test equipment? I'd want to plug in ISTA+ and run a full diagnosis before giving any useful ideas.
Does the car run, or have you tried it?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte636p View Post
Made it back to the car... unplugged the JB (not Fuse box) and replaced it with one known to be working. same issues. However, the shift indicator light blinks about twice a second when the car is supposed to be in sleep mode (16min after last touched). I know this is a huge hint, but don't know what the hint is. Anyone know what this means?
Anyone on this forum who would presume to try to help you needs some other "Huge Hints", beginning with build Month/ Year and chassis code (e.g. 12/2006 build date 2007 328i E92). I see you did give the coupe info cleverly hidden in the middle of your first post in this thread. Country/ market where vehicle sold could also be helpful ("right here" is NOT ;-)

If you prefer to remain "incognito", you can always go to TIS home page, enter your VIN, and struggle with the circuit diagrams to your heart's delight:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Your vehicle clearly has multiple electrical issues, and obtaining the correct circuit diagram information is the first place to start.

Also, be aware that there were THREE (3) different fuse layouts and/or numbering conventions used in E9x models: (1) build date BEFORE 3/1/2007, (2) build date 3/1/2007 - 9/2007, and (3) build date AFTER 9/2007, so for fuse identification and OTHER electrical system differences between models, you NEED to carefully select the circuit that is correct for YOUR build date.

If your "Dash Lights" come on as soon as the battery is connected, without opening any doors or inserting remote in slot (or having it in car if CA), we would also need to know WHAT specific lights are coming on, and then trace the particular FRM or CAS circuit that relates to those lights, and WHAT terminal powers that circuit. You almost certainly have a stuck relay that is causing that issue, but which relay, where it is located, and whether it is soldered to the JB or plug-in depends upon build date, and need to refer to proper circuit diagram for THAT info.

Last but not least, if there was some event (flood damage?) that caused water in the battery well, which might have ALSO affected the JB, FRM or CAS, you might as well let us know that.

Please give us needed facts if help is desired,
George
Appreciate 0