E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335xi vs. Evo vs. STI

07-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
NemX
NemX
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

335xi vs. Evo vs. STI

Just came across this article as I was reading up on the new Evo's

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=328921

my appologies if this is a repost; these articles always make me feel warm and fuzzy
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Jet335i
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '11 E92 M3

posted a long time ago
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
kwakr738
e21 respect
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Thanks for posting the link. I am somewhat new to the forum and just recently got a 335xi and always interested in reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakr738 View Post
Thanks for posting the link. I am somewhat new to the forum and just recently got a 335xi and always interested in reviews.
I GUARANTEE YOU THE SPECS ON THE CURRENT DELIVERY 335i'S AND THE 335XI ARE NOT THE SAME NOW. My friend has an 08 sti and it will smoke my 08 may delivery ( v29.2) After we ran them three times...me driving my car three times and me driving his car three times...it wasent even close. His car is alot and I mean alot faster. No mods on either car by the way. In the quarter his car was always at least a second faster. PHUCK
BMW needs to fix this lag...v29.2 problem
      07-02-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
kwakr738
e21 respect
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
I GUARANTEE YOU THE SPECS ON THE CURRENT DELIVERY 335i'S AND THE 335XI ARE NOT THE SAME NOW. My friend has an 08 sti and it will smoke my 08 may delivery ( v29.2) After we ran them three times...me driving my car three times and me driving his car three times...it wasent even close. His car is alot and I mean alot faster. No mods on either car by the way. In the quarter his car was always at least a second faster. PHUCK
BMW needs to fix this lag...v29.2 problem
I considered the 08 STI as well. I just figured I needed a balance of luxury and performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
FastLane
Live life in this lane....
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

I raced my buddies Evo 9 MR from 0-85ish mph.

When his car was stock got him by 4 CL's. Now he's pushing 375 whp and we raced recently, pretty even. He got my once though.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

My last car was an STi with a turbo back and a cobb reflash. It was much faster then my 08 335xi. Too bad my STi got stolen. My first oil change in the XI will also find me with some sort of EM mod. I am betting that evens things up quite a bit.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Bluechipper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Vert

The new STI is trash. They really f*cked up this one. On to the next generation STI.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechipper View Post
The new STI is trash. They really f*cked up this one. On to the next generation STI.
+1

Not easy to look at agree? Still performance and price I belive makes it a better deal if you dont mind the looks. (ugh)
      07-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
+1

Not easy to look at agree? Still performance and price I belive makes it a better deal if you don't mind the looks. (ugh)
Heh, there are a lot of reasons that I bought a BMW instead of another STI or an EVO. But the ugliness factor can't be denied. They never were attractive cars and the newest ones have gotten worse. The other issue with the STI and EVO are build quality. The 07 and 08 STIs have issues with blowing their engines even at stock power levels; and the EVO, between busting transmissions, plastic pedals that break under normal usage and a worthless warranty is even worse in this category. I just could not justify spending 35-40K for either of them new and could not locate an older used one that was in good condition and not molested. So BMW 335xi it was. This was backed up by Automobile magazine picking it over both the new STI and EVO in a comparo.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortfeasor 335xi View Post
Heh, there are a lot of reasons that I bought a BMW instead of another STI or an EVO. But the ugliness factor can't be denied. They never were attractive cars and the newest ones have gotten worse. The other issue with the STI and EVO are build quality. The 07 and 08 STIs have issues with blowing their engines even at stock power levels; and the EVO, between busting transmissions, plastic pedals that break under normal usage and a worthless warranty is even worse in this category. I just could not justify spending 35-40K for either of them new and could not locate an older used one that was in good condition and not molested. So BMW 335xi it was. This was backed up by Automobile magazine picking it over both the new STI and EVO in a comparo.
For me, the looks did it. 335 is so sexy.

Generally the evo and sti will be quicker at the dig, but they will have a harder time with rolling starts. Remember, they weight A LOT LESS. I mean a LOT LESS. And they have about the same amount of HP and TQ (just available in a very narrow rpm range. You shift a lot with these cars.).

One thing with launching an evo or sti hard is that you have to rev the piss out of it, and you have to modulate your clutch release. If you dump it, your rpm will drop (awd = no slip) and you lose boost. If you let the clutch out too slow you just smell burnt clutch and you don't go very fast either. So it's a lot more involved.
335's nice low end torque means you just rev it a little, get it rolling and gun it. It's a lot more driver friendly. Generally, if you did the same in an evo, you would be watching the clock waiting for the lag to be over.

Build quality is pretty much whatever. People complain, but I've never had any drivetrain/engine issues. My car is mechanically perfect. Everyone I know has had 0 mechanical issues with theirs. The biggest issue I've had with my evo is that the little plastic liner that goes around the front window is a little loose on the right side.

EVO plastic throttle petal is new for the X.
Transmission issues are 'heard of' but no one has met anyone that had the problem. (remember 335 has had talk of turbo overheat, fuel pump failure... I haven't met anyone with these problem either. But I've heard of em.)
Subaru warranty is nice. They cover anything that isn't modded.
Mitsubishi warranty is crap. You mod anything and it's just voided (unless the dealer feels like being nice to you).

EVO and STI are just cheap to make fast.
EVO with $5k in mods will hit 520 awhp. For a car that weighs a few hundred pounds less than a 335, it will just plain destroy a 335 for less than the base price of a 335. (well, a IX will. X is a little too expensive, and heavier than the IX)
But you don't but a BMW because it's the fastest thing for the price paid. You buy a bmw because you want a nice car that is the bridge between pure performance and luxury.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
For me, the looks did it. 335 is so sexy.

Generally the evo and sti will be quicker at the dig, but they will have a harder time with rolling starts. Remember, they weight A LOT LESS. I mean a LOT LESS. And they have about the same amount of HP and TQ (just available in a very narrow rpm range. You shift a lot with these cars.).

One thing with launching an evo or sti hard is that you have to rev the piss out of it, and you have to modulate your clutch release. If you dump it, your rpm will drop (awd = no slip) and you lose boost. If you let the clutch out too slow you just smell burnt clutch and you don't go very fast either. So it's a lot more involved.
335's nice low end torque means you just rev it a little, get it rolling and gun it. It's a lot more driver friendly. Generally, if you did the same in an evo, you would be watching the clock waiting for the lag to be over.

Build quality is pretty much whatever. People complain, but I've never had any drivetrain/engine issues. My car is mechanically perfect. Everyone I know has had 0 mechanical issues with theirs. The biggest issue I've had with my evo is that the little plastic liner that goes around the front window is a little loose on the right side.

EVO plastic throttle petal is new for the X.
Transmission issues are 'heard of' but no one has met anyone that had the problem. (remember 335 has had talk of turbo overheat, fuel pump failure... I haven't met anyone with these problem either. But I've heard of em.)
Subaru warranty is nice. They cover anything that isn't modded.
Mitsubishi warranty is crap. You mod anything and it's just voided (unless the dealer feels like being nice to you).

EVO and STI are just cheap to make fast.
EVO with $5k in mods will hit 520 awhp. For a car that weighs a few hundred pounds less than a 335, it will just plain destroy a 335 for less than the base price of a 335. (well, a IX will. X is a little too expensive, and heavier than the IX)
But you don't but a BMW because it's the fastest thing for the price paid. You buy a bmw because you want a nice car that is the bridge between pure performance and luxury.

-scheherazade
Well said.

I can't comment on the STi build, but the Evo is like a honda civic on the inside. Cheap plastic, cheap radio, but at least you get recaro's that are semi comfy. There are known syncro issues, as well as cheap stock clutch, transfer case that is brittle, and rotors that warp on heavy tracking. I've seen about all of this in person except the rotor warpage. I think their paint is crap and they seem to not have any clear on the thing. Besides that (LOL) it is a great car. Easy to make power and if something does break you don't have to worry about buying expensive german parts.

Who needs a warranty. Mod it and love it.
      09-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #13
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

You know it is kind of funny that people dump on the EVo and STI build quality. Coming from an STI and a WRX before that, yes the interior quality is not as nice. However, they don't have failing fuel pumps, software updates every few months, and the whole other list of issues I read on these forums. On the subaru forums I rarely remember reading many "issue" threads. On BMW forums it seems like that is 1/2 the threads on here. I love my BMW. Yes the interior is built well. As far as mechanical reliability goes, Subaru and Mitsubishi are leagues ahead.
Appreciate 0