BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Total Recall

08-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Total Recall

I came across this article in carscoops.

I knew about issues with fuel tank with the early F90s but I never heard about a September recall for all M5s !
Has anyone heard anything from their dealers about this recall ?

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/08/20...rising-no-one/

2018 BMW M5 Burns Through Fuel Faster Than Expected, Surprising No One

The new BMW M5 doesn’t burn fuel as fast as some of its predecessors. Chalk that up to the twin-turbo V8 that replaced the high-revving V10, for better or worse, two iterations ago. But it’s still hardly what we’d call “fuel-efficient,” by most standards.

So when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a recall notice for the latest model, we weren’t exactly surprised. But owners will still need to get theirs sorted.

Apparently the problem is that the fuel gauge may indicate a higher level than there actually is in the tank, thanks to the sensor getting stuck against a fuel line. So drivers may think they have more fuel than they actually have. Rather than replace any parts, dealers are being instructed to secure the in-tank fuel line to keep it from interfering with the sensor.

The latest M5 is the sixth iteration of the species. Known internally (and by Bimmerphiles the world over) as the F90, it packs a 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 kicking out 591 horsepower (441 kW) and 553 lb-ft (750 Nm) of torque through an eight-speed automatic transmission and (for the first time) a trick all-wheel traction system to send it rocketing from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 3.4 seconds and on to a top speed as high as 190 mph (306 km/h) when fitted with the optional M Driver’s package.

All told, a total of 1,645 examples of the 2018 BMW M5 are being recalled for this issue in the United States, with the campaign set to kick off on September 10. So those fortunate enough to have one of the latest Bavarian super-sedans in their driveway can expect to hear from the manufacturer before then to arrange service.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
BB TX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Is this the same issue as the recall noted in this thread:
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1515029
Appreciate 1
GB///M160.00
      08-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB TX View Post
Is this the same issue as the recall noted in this thread:
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1515029
Yes, got mine done with the break-in service.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
rygre
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Yes mine goes in tmrw for it
Appreciate 0