F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The urban 440i - 10k mile review
Extreme Powerhouse

07-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

The urban 440i - 10k mile review

Finally reached 10k miles in my F36 440i a couple of weeks back, worth reviewing that landmark.

It's taken me almost 22 months to do those miles, a sharp contrast to my E90 320d which was closing in on 50k miles by that age. All 'thanks' to a short urban commute - between 5 and 6 miles each way, with only 1/4 mile or so with a speed limit above 40mph.

My car really does live in town, the exceptions where it gets to stretch its legs are 100 mile runs to Heathrow (and back) which probably average out at just over once a month.

Is a 3-litre petrol six suited to urban usage? Is it ever! The relaxed, almost silent, motor makes every journey a refined pleasure and effortless urge is on tap if needing to jump into a gap etc.

On the motorway, the car is brilliant, effortless and refined. Better tyre noise suppression at higher speeds would help, but no big issue for me.

Practicality - the GC was ordered about a fortnight before we found that we were expecting a baby. I thought it would be easily practical enough, and that's pretty much how it has worked out. The boot is huge and brilliantly accessible. Our bugaboo cameleon fits easily with space left over. The only catch is a lack of height to the load space. We managed to take 5 suitcases and a folding buggy to the airport for a holiday, but another inch or two of boot height would have made that MUCH easier. It was a bit Tetris. Getting my daughter in and out of her baby seat in the back is easy - no issues with rear space for a young family (young baby, not me!)

I think I am happy with all the options that I took. The msport F36 is well equipped anyway with heated electric memory seats and pronav.

HUD is an option I love, never look at the real speedo and the nav directions on the windscreen plus music is all great. Pricey, but a treat worth having.

Adaptive suspension is superb. The ride is incredibly good, way better than passive F36 I drove on the same wheels. Even in sport mode the ride is great in most circumstances. This is an option that I would tick every time, complete bargain and transforms the car for the better.

HK audio (part of the msport plus pack). Hmmm. It's good, and I certainly wouldn't want the base stereo, but I have to be honest in saying that I expected it to be even better. More distortion and not as clean bass handling as I hoped. Still a must have though.

What's bad? Just the steering and front end bite. I wish I had ticked the VSS box (some here told me to!). I never realised how much of a step back the F3x is from the E9x. In comfort mode, so much lock is required that it simply feels like its understeering even when it's not. Sport mode is better, but not a lot. Let's the car down.

Any regrets? VSS aside, no. This car was the perfect choice, I still love every journey and don't think that will ever change. At under £40k with discounts it was a complete and utter bargain, with a drivetrain that could grace something at twice the price.

If you are thinking of getting a x40i, in particular a F36, just get it bought!

Ps. Mpg - 27.7 over 10k miles , best tank of 38.9, many runs in the mid/high 40s. Brilliant considering my usage.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 10
DaveH28287.00
PX3139.50
Soul_Glo13347.00
stefan41083.50
Ss66346.00
JustChris17489.00
      07-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Random pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
DaveH28287.00
PX3139.50
Grant_72020.50
rossm285.50
JustChris17489.00
      07-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Nice looking car. However no offence, but I'm not sure I would want it second hand after that sort of usage...

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Carbon black. Very nice
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #5
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
Nice looking car. However no offence, but I'm not sure I would want it second hand after that sort of usage...
Out of interest, what usage are you referring too?
From what I have read, it has been used as a car!

Buying second hand, you have absolutely no idea what the car has been used for, so you could end up with one that has been driven like it's been stolen or used to take a load of crap down to the skip every week and you probably wouldn't know about it.
Appreciate 3
rokut399.50
      07-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #6
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX3 View Post

Buying second hand, you have absolutely no idea what the car has been used for, so you could end up with one that has been driven like it's been stolen or used to take a load of crap down to the skip every week and you probably wouldn't know about it.
Agreed - a very odd comment. Bearing in mind it does >100 mile round trips every month, plus being a petrol it warms up quicker, I really don't see what concerns arise....but then again, everyone has their own 'quirks'...

Thanks for the write-up Rich - great to hear you're still enjoying it
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2018, 02:07 AM   #7
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Glad to hear your enjoying her.

I've very similar views on my family F31 340i. And, a Bugaboo Chameleon...

With regards to your understeer comments, the pre-LCI cars were worse! My 14 330d had a much vaguer front end than my 66 340i! I think it was around the change from 3 bolt suspension headers to 5 bolt.

My commute is 12 miles (18-42mpg indicated OBC, usually 27-34mpg), and my 16K average is 31mpg. But, I've never got into the 40's properly. Best long run was 37mpg tank to tank. However, Cumbria is hilly and we've not driven more than 2.5 hours with our little monster... It is an hour of A roads to the motorway. So, hills, overtakes and touring aerodynamics can't be helping.

I follow exactly your views on the 40i engine, stock exhaust, and Adaptive Dampers. A great refined, smooth and quiet cruiser, but with plenty of urge when you press the satisfyingly loud peddle.

I agree with your view of HK also. It's certainly good, especially for a car. However, I find the mid-bass often is overly forward. To me, none logic7 sounds better when stationary, more HiFi. However, I think logic7 works better in motion, when the listening environment is even more compromised.

Enjoy your next 10k!
      07-13-2018, 02:12 AM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I think I might give up the devil's fuel next year and return to a petrol. Petrol turbo engines have come a long way and the fuel economy seems reasonable to me. Though I read somewhere the 40i engine will end production soon?! Not sure if it was off here.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 02:25 AM   #9
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post

I assume he means lots of short runs aren't really good for a car, especially a relatively large capacity petrol engine? For example, there's no way in the world things like engine oil will get to normal operating temperature in 5 or 6 miles, even in the sort of hot weather we've been experiencing recently.

Does that matter? Might be a bit of a generation thing here I suspect; youngsters brought up on condition based servicing and synthetic oils will probably say don't see the problem, those who are a bit older may be more inclined to view a car that's done lots of short runs with a bit more suspicion.

However, you're right, if a you buy a used car from a dealer you'll probably never meet the previous owner(s) and will have no idea how the car's been used....
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 02:34 AM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Quote:

Agreed - a very odd comment. Bearing in mind it does >100 mile round trips every month, plus being a petrol it warms up quicker, I really don't see what concerns arise....but then again, everyone has their own 'quirks'...

Yes, it does get nicely warm. Also, a new road opened a year or so back has changed it from 7 miles of traffic light stop start to the aforementioned slightly shorter run, which is quiet and scattered with roundabouts...so it's largely a trundle with no stopping.

Plus I drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy...that's simply ingrained.

Brake pad indication in iDrive is 25k further on the fronts and 49k on the rears, which is pretty good for a car not used daily on longer runs. My E90 was still on it's original pads and discs all around when sold with 105k on the clock, but was a 50+ miles a day car for its first four years.

I'd happily buy my car second hand, but it's not going to be for sale for many years

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 02:37 AM   #11
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
I think I might give up the devil's fuel next year and return to a petrol. Petrol turbo engines have come a long way and the fuel economy seems reasonable to me. Though I read somewhere the 40i engine will end production soon?! Not sure if it was off here.
I can't see the 40i ending soon. The G series M340i has been all but confirmed. But, with the next evolution at 385 ish PS...

However, I can see the F3X 40i ending soon. A niche car in Europe, and likely to be a launch model for the next car. Also, a low sales volume car is awkward to justify putting through new European emissions testing for a run out car.
      07-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #12
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it does get nicely warm. Also, a new road opened a year or so back has changed it from 7 miles of traffic light stop start to the aforementioned slightly shorter run, which is quiet and scattered with roundabouts...so it's largely a trundle with no stopping.

Plus I drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy...that's simply ingrained.

Brake pad indication in iDrive is 25k further on the fronts and 49k on the rears, which is pretty good for a car not used daily on longer runs. My E90 was still on it's original pads and discs all around when sold with 105k on the clock, but was a 50+ miles a day car for its first four years.

I'd happily buy my car second hand, but it's not going to be for sale for many years
I'd ignore the iDrive brake wear. My fronts are 16k in with 19k to run. So, 35k... Can't remember the last time I changed brake pads...

Visually, the front pads hardly look to have worn, let alone almost half gone!
      07-13-2018, 02:50 AM   #13
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Glad to hear your enjoying her.

I've very similar views on my family F31 340i. And, a Bugaboo Chameleon...

With regards to your understeer comments, the pre-LCI cars were worse! My 14 330d had a much vaguer front end than my 66 340i! I think it was around the change from 3 bolt suspension headers to 5 bolt.

My commute is 12 miles (18-42mpg indicated OBC, usually 27-34mpg), and my 16K average is 31mpg. But, I've never got into the 40's properly. Best long run was 37mpg tank to tank. However, Cumbria is hilly and we've not driven more than 2.5 hours with our little monster... It is an hour of A roads to the motorway. So, hills, overtakes and touring aerodynamics can't be helping.

I follow exactly your views on the 40i engine, stock exhaust, and Adaptive Dampers. A great refined, smooth and quiet cruiser, but with plenty of urge when you press the satisfyingly loud peddle.

I agree with your view of HK also. It's certainly good, especially for a car. However, I find the mid-bass often is overly forward. To me, none logic7 sounds better when stationary, more HiFi. However, I think logic7 works better in motion, when the listening environment is even more compromised.

Enjoy your next 10k!
Thanks Rich

Yes, I think the hills are the main factor in your mpg. It's notable even on the pretty flat M4 that the few hills of note will start to tick the trip average down. There's no getting away from six petrol cylinders drinking a bit uphill. Also, I've never owned a car where the driver has such a big influence over the MPG...very easy to drop it low by driving enthusiastically, but incredibly easy to eke it further when going with the flow, just by thinking ahead.

Understeer - mine is a pre-LCI 4-series but as far as I recall they had the LCI 3 front suspension. Must check though. It's a shame, as a sharper front end would really make it something (even more) special. How they managed to make it worse than the E90 is surprising, although maybe servotronic plays a part.

On HK - I ended up switching logic7 off, but that matches your findings really. Most of the time, my car is below 40mph so barely making any more noise than when parked at idle. I must give it another try at motorway speeds.

I think yours came along (with your son) about a week before my car, remember your new car/baby thread well as I was eagerly anticipating both by then! Glad you are still enjoying yours 340i.

Appreciate 1
Rich9600740.50
      07-13-2018, 03:05 AM   #14
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Regarding understeer, was your E90 SE spec with a 'square' wheel set? I find when I remove my Staggered summers and go to my 'square' winters that the balance of turn moves forwards and the front end feels better.

I had an SE 320d E90 LCI before my M Sport 330d and really missed the balance.

The pre LCI 440i GC I test drove in spring 16 felt very similar to my 340i Touring in front end terms. So, aleready 5 bolt I believe

Staggered wheels and tyres balance out with more accelerator as you come out of the bend...

Both the car and the boy are now 22 months and they both 'always' bring me joy... I'm sure your car and daughter both bring you nothing but joy also... Though, the car doesn't keep you awake at night...
      07-13-2018, 03:24 AM   #15
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Regarding understeer, was your E90 SE spec with a 'square' wheel set? I find when I remove my Staggered summers and go to my 'square' winters that the balance of turn moves forwards and the front end feels better.

I had an SE 320d E90 LCI before my M Sport 330d and really missed the balance.

The pre LCI 440i GC I test drove in spring 16 felt very similar to my 340i Touring in front end terms. So, aleready 5 bolt I believe

Staggered wheels and tyres balance out with more accelerator as you come out of the bend...

Both the car and the boy are now 22 months and they both 'always' bring me joy... I'm sure your car and daughter both bring you nothing but joy also... Though, the car doesn't keep you awake at night...
Spot on - I had a 320d SE E90 running 225/45 R17 all around, run flats. The staggered set up and larger tyres are not something I had thought about.

The E90 had a far superior balance and just went through roundabouts by the merest, instinctive, twitch of the steering wheel. As opposed to now where it's 'turn it more than I should have to, and then turn it some more'.

Another reason to buy winter tyres!

Indeed, both the car and my daughter bring me joy. Fatherhood is so much more rewarding than I ever expected. The car's one drawback is that (my wife tells me) it's pretty good at waking my daughter when i start it in our quiet close in the morning!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 03:30 AM   #16
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

If you want it better at waking her up just swap to mppsk.
These summer nights with the windows open have caused me some very grumpy looks from the missus when I decided to nip out just after the kids went to bed.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #17
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
Do it. Coming from a 330d which I loved...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      07-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #18
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Good write up and I agree, what made me get rid of my 440i GC was the cabin noise and tyre roar which is just horrendous and the steering which just doesn't feel like it's connected to the wheels, I must have had over 10 BMW's and this is the first one that made me feel like that. You boys wont like this but the steering feel in my Audi S5 is way better than the F36, it's also a lot more refined inside from tyre roar. On the downside Audi cant write software for the ZF gearbox for shit, it's hesitant and unpredictable, the gearbox and throttle response was way better in my 440i
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #19
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I assume he means lots of short runs aren't really good for a car, especially a relatively large capacity petrol engine? For example, there's no way in the world things like engine oil will get to normal operating temperature in 5 or 6 miles, even in the sort of hot weather we've been experiencing recently.
Oh yes it does!

If I have to leave work in the urban sprawl, then I'll be at oil temp within 2 miles in the current climate.

When leaving in the morning, purely rural, I'll be at oil temp within 4-5 miles.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #20
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great review- thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #21
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Oh yes it does!

If I have to leave work in the urban sprawl, then I'll be at oil temp within 2 miles in the current climate.

When leaving in the morning, purely rural, I'll be at oil temp within 4-5 miles.
Yes, I find the same Grant. The rapid warm up is a refreshing change in the winter months, after a decade of waiting for diesels to produce some warmth.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #22
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque of the Devil View Post
Good write up and I agree, what made me get rid of my 440i GC was the cabin noise and tyre roar which is just horrendous and the steering which just doesn't feel like it's connected to the wheels, I must have had over 10 BMW's and this is the first one that made me feel like that. You boys wont like this but the steering feel in my Audi S5 is way better than the F36, it's also a lot more refined inside from tyre roar. On the downside Audi cant write software for the ZF gearbox for shit, it's hesitant and unpredictable, the gearbox and throttle response was way better in my 440i
I mentioned tyre noise at high speed, but really don't find it unacceptable or unusually loud. At speeds below 50mph, I find it more refined than diesels in the bigger platform cars (5/E) that I travel in fairly regularly.

I'm not disagreeing on the S5 though, the same engine in the Cayenne was nice and refined and I am sure that the tyre noise can be dampened more than the 4. Also not surprised that the steering is better. I still love the RWD balance when pressing on, but it's the ambling around either off the throttle or on a light throttle around a roundabout where the understeer feeling exists. As @rich9600 mentioned that square set up winter tyres make a difference, it seems like a few tweaks could make the 4 better and that Audi have probably managed that in the S5.

If I wanted another fastback petrol car, the S5 sportback would definitely be on my list to check out. It was the old model when I bought mine, so not on the list then. As it is, very happy with the 440i and will probably have it a good few years.

Appreciate 0