F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Brand New 440i GC - Drive Train Error - Advice Needed
ARMA SPEED

07-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Brand New 440i GC - Drive Train Error - Advice Needed

Hi All,

I've had my 440i GC for 3 weeks and covered 700* miles. Today I had a drive train error warning for the second time. The first time it happened (at 250 miles) BMW assist sent out a mobile tech who diagnosed a 'crank sensor fault' which was reset. It's now going into a BMW dealer for investigation of the second occurrence tomorrow.

I'm willing to let them have a go to fix it but I'm thinking longer term if this keeps on happening. I'd like to sound the forum out for advice please on my rights. The car is on PCP with BMW finance. I know that it is possible to reject a car (we are not at that stage yet) but what are the timescales for doing this?

*I've been closely following the running-in advice, just to avoid any wiggle room on warranty claims such as this.

Advice greatly appreciated. I don't use the car much at the moment so it isn't a major inconvenience but I can't help thinking this shouldn't be happening.

Mit freundlichen Gruβen

Herr Groβ Byte
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Under the CRA, you have the absolute right to reject and receive a full refund for 4 weeks. You can choose to, but you are NOT obliged to do so, give the supplying garage an opportunity to rectify the fault.
After the first 4 week period is over, if a fault develops within the first 6 months of ownership, you MUST give the supplying dealer one opportunity to rectify the fault (and such an attempt fails to rectify the fault) before you can reject the car. In this situation, the supplying dealer is entitled to make what is termed as a 'reasonable deduction' from the refund for the use you've had of the car.

Do note that, even though the faults in your case have happened within the first four weeks, if you reject the car outside the first four weeks then the 'six month' rule applies. There is NO facility within the legislation for saying 'If you don't fix it then I'll reject it, and we'll treat the rejection as having happened at the earlier date' unless you specifically agree with the dealer (and have proof of such agreement).

I also note that you say it's going into 'a BMW dealer'. Your contract is with the supplying dealer - not BMW GB, or their finance arm, or even another dealer within the same group as the supplying dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Very detailed write up, specific to UK vehicle owners - correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Very detailed write up, specific to UK vehicle owners - correct?
Yes, it's specific to the UK.

The legislation is the Consumer Rights Act (2015), so relatively new - and still largely untested in the courts, especially exactly what defines, for example, a 'reasonable deduction' from the refund in the six month period.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #5
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Thanks Robbiep for pointing me to the CRA. I'm thinking the best course of action in this situation is to reject the car (sadly). I'm going to think it over today. I will not be taking it into a BMW workshop tomorrow as you were right, that's not where I bought it. I've got 10 days left of the 30 day period. What I can't allow is if this goes over the 30 day, the issue reoccurs after an attempted fix and I'm then out of pocket if I decide to reject. So I'm thinking a straight rejection now is the best course of action to protect my rights.
Appreciate 0