F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive suspension question
ARMA SPEED

07-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Dobbins Den
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Arctic Race Blue

Adaptive suspension question

Currently looking at a used 440i that has adaptive suspension, I've not got this on my current 340i so how do you control this, or is it automatically controlled by the sport, comfort eco pro button?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvkefalonia View Post
Currently looking at a used 440i that has adaptive suspension, I've not got this on my current 340i so how do you control this, or is it automatically controlled by the sport, comfort eco pro button?
Yes and also via I drive you can control whether that button affects both suspension and engines settings or just one of those
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvkefalonia View Post
You control it with the buttons. Then it adjusts the damping.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
The adaptive damping works automatically, regardless of which setting you are on though you are more likely to feel it in sports mode when cornering in a spirited manner.

The settings you can change through the i-Drive are the same whether you have adaptive damping or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
The adaptive damping works automatically, regardless of which setting you are on though you are more likely to feel it in sports mode when cornering in a spirited manner.

The settings you can change through the i-Drive are the same whether you have adaptive damping or not.
Not quite true. Adaptive damping is just that - adaptive. IE; it is constantly working regardless of what "mode" you are in. You can't switch it off.

Switching between Eco, Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus just alters the "feel"

So in Comfort mode, the suspension feels a bit softer that it does in Sport.

But it's still adapting all the time to the road conditions.

When you change the settings in the idrive, you have the option to choose Chassis + drivetrain or just drivetrain for the Sport option. This setting gives you better throttle response but leaves the base "hardness" setting for the suspension alone. But it's still adapting.....
Steering also stiffens up too under the Chassis setting.

If your setting is for both Drivetrain and Chassis, then you get the lot.... stiffer suspension (and still adapting) plus faster throttle response plus stiffer steering.

I was never a fan of the heavier steering so on my 440i (with adaptive suspension) I had the Sport option for Drivetrain only.
When you select Sport plus, it automatically gives you the stiffer suspension and steering so sort of gives you another option.

Hope that helps

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
"The adaptive damping works automatically, regardless of which setting you are on"

If you had read the first line of my post you could have saved yourself typing most of your post
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
"The adaptive damping works automatically, regardless of which setting you are on"

If you had read the first line of my post you could have saved yourself typing most of your post
Your statement of

Quote:
is incorrect.

If you have adaptive suspension, you can configure the 'sport' setting to be drivetrain, chassis, or both. Which you can't do if you don't have adaptive suspension, because there is no way of adjusting the 'chassis' in the Sport settings.

Which is what Rukka said in his post.

If you'd read his post in full, you could have saved yourself replying at all ...
Appreciate 2
dizzy619446.50
Rukka2647.00
      07-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Ah, so all but one combination is the same. I stand corrected as I don't have a non adaptive suspension car to compare it with.

Rukka said "Not quite true. Adaptive damping is just that - adaptive. IE; it is constantly working regardless of what "mode" you are in"

So, he repeated what I said whilst stating it was not quite true. I should have
been more pedantic and restricted myself to referring to his first line and should have not been so flamboyant as to say most of his post.

But we must really take this further and you should have pointed out that the "not quite true" actually didn't refer to my first comment but my second one.

If you're going to dig me up for my second post, you could have pointed that out and maintained the level of pedantry you started with.

Did you not notice that I finished my little comment with a smilie? This is the accepted way, in a medium which is only words, to indicate that you don't mean anything by it? (i.e. "no offence".) I note that you didn't.

As I understand it the steering stiffens up in sport mode with or without adaptive damping. Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 03:16 AM   #9
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Quote:
As I understand it the steering stiffens up in sport mode with or without adaptive damping. Can anyone confirm?
Yes, it does - as does the throttle response sharpen too
      07-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #10
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I've had 2 cars with adaptive and 19's.
My 330d did lots of driving in comfort mode. I found the adaption very good so didn't really bother with sports mode. Also, due to the torque, sports mode didn't make as much difference.
My 340i on the other hand gets put into sports mode much more, the drivetrain benefits are certainly more evident. However, on country roads I often find the sports damping starting point to be a bit too stiff. So, I switch off chassis and get a more compliant ride. This seems to offer more traction on poorly finished surfaces.
As noted previously, it's an adaptive system. The mode switch just changes the initial damping.
      07-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Yes, it does - as does the throttle response sharpen too
Here is where more confusion starts again...

Some models combine all available 'selectable' functions, other models don't. If you have the option to select 'drivetrain' and/or 'chassis' the throttle is in the drivetrain selection.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
...As I understand it the steering stiffens up in sport mode with or without adaptive damping. Can anyone confirm?
Yes it does. Some models it is selectable in the stand alone 'chassis' configuration, other models is 'bundled' with the gearbox and throttle programming and simply modified in with the Sport mode toggle.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:48 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
As noted previously, it's an adaptive system. The mode switch just changes the initial damping.
We simply need to view the adaptive suspensions in the 3/4 series as working from base damping maps, one biased for Comfort the other for Sport.

As an example, the 5-series has three base maps, gives much greater overlap of the adaptive modes. Still totally adaptive all the time, just changes the bias from best comfort to most sporty reactions, according to the selection.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #14
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

There are only two settings to adaptive...sport and comfort. If you drive over the cats eyes in the centre of the road in comfort the suspension smooths them out. If you drive over them in sport it is noticably firmer and rattles your teeth.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #15
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
I have car with adaptive suspension, ist 2104 320D X drive, however i cannot feel any difference between modes in steering wheel.

My sport settings set to 'Drivetrain & Chassis' - Where does it say that Chassis incorporates steering wheel changes?

I red below and all it talks about suspension, i also cant find any useful info on BMW Driver's Guide, its such a useless manual, even searching for adaptive or suspension doesn't return results.

https://www.bmwoffreeport.com/blogs/...spension-work/
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #16
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
I have car with adaptive suspension, ist 2104 320D X drive, however i cannot feel any difference between modes in steering wheel.

My sport settings set to 'Drivetrain & Chassis' - Where does it say that Chassis incorporates steering wheel changes?

I red below and all it talks about suspension, i also cant find any useful info on BMW Driver's Guide, its such a useless manual, even searching for adaptive or suspension doesn't return results.

https://www.bmwoffreeport.com/blogs/...spension-work/
This only applies to cars fitted with Servotronic or Variable Speed steering.

Servitronic is standard on the 6 cylinder variants, an optional extra on most 3&4 cylinder variants.
      07-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #17
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Servitronic is standard on the 6 cylinder variants, an optional extra on most 3&4 cylinder variants.
ah ok, its confusing because guys above talk about it as if it comes packaged with the adaptive suspension

I am aware of Servotronic or Variable Speed steering option but always thought it different because it doesn't alter steering feel based on the driving mode you choose, it just gives you more play depending on speed vs turning
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #18
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
Quote:

ah ok, its confusing because guys above talk about it as if it comes packaged with the adaptive suspension

I am aware of Servotronic or Variable Speed steering option but always thought it different because it doesn't alter steering feel based on the driving mode you choose, it just gives you more play depending on speed vs turning
Sevotronic is variable assistance.

Variable speed is variable speed (ratio of turns to angle) and variable assistance.
      07-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435d Convertible xDrive M Sprt

Just to get this clear..

does it mean, with an M Sport with floaty jelly like xDrive Adaptive Suspension, you can set it up so that you switch straight to Sports mode when starting the car, thus driving with stiffened suspension and steering so it feels like a normal M Sport car in comfort mode, but a quick switch to Sport+ mode bypasses the iDrive setting (where only drivetrain is activated), so both drivetrain AND engine becomes activated, making it feel like an M Sport in sports mode?

Also, does sport+ not turn off ACS? (whatever that is?) and any other stuff? Thus making it more dangerous? Or is the saftey difference negligible allowing the above setup to be used as a way to minimise the flaws of M Sports with Adaptive Suspension?

EDIT: the car is an xDrive 435d, but i've just realised I cant tell if it has adaptive suspension or not. It allows for the selection of Drivetrain & Chassis in Sport Mode, but its not listed in the VIN number, so does that mean the floaty jelly ride is purely from the xDrive?.. and i need to get ACS springs?

Last edited by madlad2000; 07-08-2018 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0