F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Corroded 403M under warranty
Studio RSR

06-30-2018, 03:23 AM   #1
Greg666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport XDrive

Corroded 403M under warranty

Just had my end of warranty check on my 2015 335d and I’m getting one of my 403M alloy wheels replaced under warranty.

My question is what do they do with the corroded alloy? Could I be a bit cheeky and ask for it as a spare?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 03:32 AM   #2
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Normally parts exchanged under warranty become the property of the dealer. They may want to return them to BMW for investigation in some cases. Why not just ask a simple question of the dealer..."BTW, what do you do with the old wheel?" and negotiate from there.
At one time I was in the same position and investigated the potential scrap value. It was about £20.

Last edited by ByTheSea; 06-30-2018 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 03:46 AM   #3
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheSea View Post
Normally parts exchanged under warranty become the property of the dealer. They may want to return them to BMW for investigation in some cases. Why not just ask a simple question of the dealer..."BTW, what do you do with the old wheel?" and negotiate from there.
I can imagine that BMW might have wanted the first few returned to investigate, but by the time they reached perhaps 100,000 they have probably given up investigating!

I would be interested to know whether they will allow you to keep them, although it's too late for me as they have already replaced all 4
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 03:55 AM   #4
Greg666
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I can imagine that BMW might have wanted the first few returned to investigate, but by the time they reached perhaps 100,000 they have probably given up investigating!

I would be interested to know whether they will allow you to keep them, although it's too late for me as they have already replaced all 4
It’s only the one wheel on mine that’s why I thought I might chance my arm!

Last edited by Greg666; 06-30-2018 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 04:05 AM   #5
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I can imagine that BMW might have wanted the first few returned to investigate, but by the time they reached perhaps 100,000 they have probably given up investigating...
I was describing a possible situation which might arise on some exchanged parts. Unless the scrap value has changed dramatically, and they don't want to give you it for free, you might get away with making a silly offer for the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 04:46 AM   #6
Greg666
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobB View Post
Are they giving you a new arm too?
Dreaded predictive text! Fixed now
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Once the old parts are replaced under warranty, they are the property of the supplier.....not the dealer, not BMW UK, not BMW AG.

Some suppliers have a percentage return clause, which means a certain percentage need to be returned to them for evaluation (to ensure parts are rightly identified as faulty). This can be from 0-100%, depending on various factors.

On alloy wheels especially, the supplier is able to recycle the material, so are pretty likely to want 100% back.

So in essence the dealer has zero say in what happens to them, until that call is made. They often have to keep hold of faulty parts for a few weeks until notified with disposal instructions.

If I were the supplier and was asked "the customer doesn't think this wheel is good enough quality, but would quite like to keep it as a spare, can he keep it?"

I'd tell him where to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 01:26 AM   #8
Greg666
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Once the old parts are replaced under warranty, they are the property of the supplier.....not the dealer, not BMW UK, not BMW AG.

Some suppliers have a percentage return clause, which means a certain percentage need to be returned to them for evaluation (to ensure parts are rightly identified as faulty). This can be from 0-100%, depending on various factors.

On alloy wheels especially, the supplier is able to recycle the material, so are pretty likely to want 100% back.

So in essence the dealer has zero say in what happens to them, until that call is made. They often have to keep hold of faulty parts for a few weeks until notified with disposal instructions.

If I were the supplier and was asked "the customer doesn't think this wheel is good enough quality, but would quite like to keep it as a spare, can he keep it?"

I'd tell him where to go.
I appreciate what you’re saying but at no point did say that the wheel isn’t good enough quality, on the contrary! The corrosion is so minimal that I wasn’t expecting then to agree to replace it. It’s for that reason I thought I’d ask the question on here before broaching the subject with the dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 01:52 AM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

You can ask, the worst they can do is say no!

If they do say no then cause a big scene in the dealership to get your own way, as was the advice of another member recently!
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      07-01-2018, 03:52 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg666 View Post

I appreciate what you're saying but at no point did say that the wheel isn't good enough quality, on the contrary! The corrosion is so minimal that I wasn't expecting then to agree to replace it. It's for that reason I thought I'd ask the question on here before broaching the subject with the dealer
And what difference does that make to the supplier? A warranty replacement is only as a result of the part being faulty or defective.......substandard quality. You must have pointed out the issue to your dealer, therefore inferring you, the customer, are not happy with the part quality.

Let's take it further, imagine you have an issue with a car, enough for you to want to reject it. Then when they agree to give you a replacement you ask if you can keep the car because it wasn't that bad. Does that seem a reasonable request?

Anyway, if the dealer does let you keep them, he is a fool. The supplier has the rights to have those faulty parts back as they belong to them entirely. They also regularly exercise those rights to stop dealers sending in the same set of photos and getting new wheels to make a loyal customer happy at someone else's expense. To replace a curbed wheel for example, or the dealer just PX'd a car with damaged wheels, so why not get a brand new set....these things happen on a daily basis, so suppliers are super aware. Even more so when the parts cost many hundreds of £ and are cosmetic.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #11
alpine330D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430D GC

I've been told by my local dealer i may have to pay a 20% 'good will gesture' for my replacement wheels (corrosion on all 4 around the centre caps) if there's any damage on the wheels being replaced (which there is). Person i think this is ridiculous and I'll be asking for my old wheels back if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine330D View Post
I've been told by my local dealer i may have to pay a 20% 'good will gesture' for my replacement wheels (corrosion on all 4 around the centre caps) if there's any damage on the wheels being replaced (which there is). Person i think this is ridiculous and I'll be asking for my old wheels back if that's the case.
That sounds like BS to me.

Unless of course the wheel is completely trashed, if there is no accidental damage that caused the corrosion, then the wheels should be replaced outright. Is the curbing worse than the fair usage guidelines as used by BMW FS?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
alpine330D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430D GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
That sounds like BS to me.

Unless of course the wheel is completely trashed, if there is no accidental damage that caused the corrosion, then the wheels should be replaced outright. Is the curbing worse than the fair usage guidelines as used by BMW FS?
The damage caused by me, or should i say the roads i drive on is around the outer edge of the rim, the corrosion is around the centre caps. I'm taking it in for inspection tomorrow but may have to try another dealer if they stick ti their story.
Appreciate 0