F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 tailgate trim removal
ARMA SPEED

06-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
wanstronian
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring M Sport

F31 tailgate trim removal

Hi folks, I want to install a rear-facing dashcam. I plan to mount it on the plastic trim of the main boot lid so I don't have to also cope with the secondary glass boot lid opening.

I want to make neat job of this so the power cable will run through the existing boot cable gaiter. To get at this from the tailgate side I need to remove the hard plastic trim pieces at the top and side of the tailgate.

Can anybody advise on how I do this without breaking anything? Google has not been my friend in this instance.

Cheers
W
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Mine is mounted on the headlining. I made a clip which slides between the headlining and the rubber trim - this provides a solid surface for the rear camera bracket to stick to.

Looks neat, still has a good field of view through the tailgate glass, and no need to route cables through to the tailgate.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
muffking224.00
      06-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Mine is mounted on the headlining. I made a clip which slides between the headlining and the rubber trim - this provides a solid surface for the rear camera bracket to stick to.

Looks neat, still has a good field of view through the tailgate glass, and no need to route cables through to the tailgate.
I'll be installing my rear cam soon too and like this idea.
Don't suppose you have photos of the bracket you made?
      06-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
indigochim
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

I'd be interested in this too. I have a camera ready to mount but got stuck trying to go through the cable duct

running up the rear pillar was easy enough and you can unbolt the spoiler and run between the glass and the tailgate but inside on the headlining would be great. How is it for reflections too,
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

This site:

https://www.newtis.info/
Appreciate 2
TiredGeek360.50
j.s.48.50
      06-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
wanstronian
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
Oooh, that's useful!! You are a legend. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 03:37 AM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

I'll be installing my rear cam soon too and like this idea.
Don't suppose you have photos of the bracket you made?
You can see much of the bracket but this gives you an idea of how little you can see of it.

I should have sprayed it black first. Maybe I'll use a Sharpie on it later.
Attached Images

Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
muffking224.00
      06-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
Thanks.
Followed your lead and used a GoPro sticky pad to stick mine to the roof lining just inside the tailgate opening.

06-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffking View Post
Thanks.
Followed your lead and used a GoPro sticky pad to stick mine to the roof lining just inside the tailgate opening.

Looks fine. Just check your video files for camera shake in case there's some flexing in the trim. The benefit of using a bracket that slips inside the headlining is that I use a VHB gel tape to stick the bracket to the underside of the roof. It's a pretty solid fixing - no camera shake at all.
Appreciate 1
muffking224.00