F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Insane Courtesy Car
ARMA SPEED

06-15-2018, 04:14 AM   #1
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Insane Courtesy Car

My car was @ Mulgari Automative in Bracknell for a ACS Spring + Rear ARB upgrade, I was a bit disappointed when they said they needed my car for two days to get the install + alignment sorted, however I negotiated a courtesy car as the 335d is a daily driver

I reached Mulgari @ around 8:30am, they have a fantastic setup in Bracknell, a very high end premise which houses fabulous cars such as McLarens, Lambos, M3 CSL etc, they had a couple of big projects on where they were restoring a beautiful Lamborgini Countach and an vintage Rolls, in all a very impressive setup, I found dealing with them an extremely pleasant experience, a very professional unit with competitive costs....

So then, I was handed this insane mini as a courtesy car, it is a souped up JCW with Mulgari touch, it's an F56 with loads of mods covering all aspects of the car the externals, suspension, brakes, engine etc. The car makes close to 300bhp and is pocket rocket, it handles like cart, u can chuck it into corners like nobody's business, it was such a hoot to drive, by far the most enjoyable courtesy car I've had to date, I've attached some pics of it, apparently it costs £36k to own
Attached Images

Lorcan3609.00
LobB5109.00
Rbrown2765.50
Soul_Glo13347.00
Junebug851617.50
JustChris17489.00
      06-15-2018, 04:15 AM   #2
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

ACS Upgrade update
My car is an LCI F30 Shadow edition, reviews suggested my version had upgraded Dampers so full suspension upgrade may not be necessary ? I'd have to disagree, the ride quality has significantly improved, there is more surety around the bends, but I still find the front end loose, a bit disappointed considering the upgrade cost me a £1000+, I suppose things will improve once the springs settle, I'll probably give a further update a month from now

I have 360 camera on the car and it's gone mad since the upgrade, despite being miles away from the kerb, it seems to throw a wobbly and buzzes incessantly like I am going to crash into it ? Are there any specific adjustments that need to be made for this ?

Remap
Mulgari offer OBD remap services which bumps the power up by 65hp and torque by 120NM, costs £499, what is so special about this you may ask ?

Mulgari provide Engine/Drive train warranty against their remaps ? which I thought was fabulous as no other tuner offers that ? I am getting mine done through them for sure, I have asked if they'd be willing to offer discounts if we did a group buy, waiting to hear back from them, I'll post up when they respond, £499 with warranty is great as is.....

Last edited by Rudz; 06-15-2018 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 04:28 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
ACS Upgrade update
My car is an LCI F30 Shadow edition, reviews suggested my version had upgraded Dampers so full suspension upgrade may not be necessary ? I'd have to disagree, the ride quality has significantly improved, there is more surety around the bends, but I still find the front end loose, a bit disappointed considering the upgrade cost me a £1000+, I suppose things will improve once the springs settle, I'll probably give a further update a month from now

I have 360 camera on the car and it's gone mad since the upgrade, despite being miles away from the kerb, it seems to throw a wobbly and buzzes incessantly like I am going to crash into it ? Are there any specific adjustments that need to be made for this ?

Remap
Mulgari offer OBD remap services which bumps the power up by 65hp and torque by 120NM, costs £499, what is so special about this you may ask ?

Mulgari provide Engine/Drive train warranty against their remaps ? which I thought was fabulous as no other tuner offers that ? I am getting mine done through them for sure, I have asked if they'd be willing to offer discounts if we did a group buy, waiting to hear back from them, I'll post up when they respond, £499 with warranty is great as is.....
Not wanting to knock your springs/bars upgrade, not at all, this was exactly my experience when I upgraded my 2012 F31 initially with ACS springs and Birds (H&R) ARBs. Yes there was an improvement, but it proved to be a false investment as it didn't provide the ride and handling package that I wanted. After 18 months or so I upgraded again to coilovers (Ohlins Road & Track).

My take on it is that the OEM dampers are not compatible/capable in terms of achieving a sports suspension setup. Period.

Live with the car for a bit and see how it feels, but I have a feeling you may still hanker for something better.

If you happen to be in the Herts area at some point you're welcome to come for a spin in mine so you can feel the differences between ACS/OEM and the Ohlins.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
£36k Doesn't sound too bad. I bought a JCW second hand. About a year old and the previous owner specced it to £33k
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
ACS Upgrade update
We don't claim that a set of springs can cure a car of all its handling ailments. They do what they say on the tin - reduce body roll, reduce nose dive on the brakes, reduce squat at the rear, and sharpen up the steering as far as possible without impacting ride quality or warranty. And they look nice, which is all you can ask from a spring kit really.

For 9 out of 10 customers this is enough to justify the cost. For everyone else we have our fantastic RS suspension, or sports suspension which uses the same springs but adds some decent quality non-adaptive dampers (available for RWD cars now, and coming soon for xDrive cars).

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

That's a shame you're not wholly satisfied considering the investment. Mine (technically not mine anymore) is booked in for two weeks time. M140i rear ARB, ACS lowering springs and, spacers. I hope the new owner is happy. It's an x drive so there is hope!

The car has 360 surround view too and it would be a shame if that was compromised. AFAIK they are just cameras and don't beep. It is the front and rear sensors that do the beeping. It's plausible that the lowering has changed the angle of those so they are hyper sensitive but I am sure someone will be along to chime in.

What is the stance like? Much wheel arch gap? Any photographs? How exactly is the front loose? Lack of grip? Is there reduced understeer?

As for the remap. Around the corner in Maidenhead you have Quantum tuning. He writes maps from scratch and also wrote the Bird's map. He can probably beat that price too.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Other tuners offer a warranty and at less than the 499 and more than the hp increase.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Can’t beat a MINI for pure driving fun!

I’d still be in a F56 if I didn’t need space for 2 kids & all the clobber that comes with!

Can’t wait to see the GP3 when they reveal it...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 02:22 AM   #9
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Quote:
ACS Upgrade update
We don't claim that a set of springs can cure a car of all its handling ailments. They do what they say on the tin - reduce body roll, reduce nose dive on the brakes, reduce squat at the rear, and sharpen up the steering as far as possible without impacting ride quality or warranty. And they look nice, which is all you can ask from a spring kit really.

For 9 out of 10 customers this is enough to justify the cost. For everyone else we have our fantastic RS suspension, or sports suspension which uses the same springs but adds some decent quality non-adaptive dampers (available for RWD cars now, and coming soon for xDrive cars).

I think I'm becoming one of the 1out of 10.
I'm pleased with the ACS springs I've had for 5 months now but the novelty is wearing off and they aren't doing what I'm after. I'm pleased to to hear Lorcan that I can reuse the springs and upgrade the dampers.
I'm in and 2017 F31 335 XD adaptive.
Can you talk me through the options and when they are available? I'd not rule out a new beefier ARBs at the same time. I want to reduce body roll sharpen the steering get a more oversteer feel back. Make it feel more BMW like but not rock hard teeth shattering like a race car.
I love the idea of having true adaptive sport or comfort setups at the flick of switch but it's a pipe dream isn't it. so we have to swap the damper etc and lose the adaptive set up. If I'm in the car alone or with the family I'd love it to be semi race set up but I need a more polite vehicle sadly.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 03:35 AM   #10
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Other tuners offer a warranty and at less than the 499 and more than the hp increase.
At that price, I do wonder about the warranty. I would be surprised if it is anything like as comprehensive as the (much more expensive) ACS warranty which dovetails with the BMW one.

If they can genuinely offer 65hp and a proper warranty, that is remarkable.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:18 AM   #11
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Not wanting to knock your springs/bars upgrade, not at all, this was exactly my experience when I upgraded my 2012 F31 initially with ACS springs and Birds (H&R) ARBs. Yes there was an improvement, but it proved to be a false investment as it didn't provide the ride and handling package that I wanted. After 18 months or so I upgraded again to coilovers (Ohlins Road & Track).

My take on it is that the OEM dampers are not compatible/capable in terms of achieving a sports suspension setup. Period.

Live with the car for a bit and see how it feels, but I have a feeling you may still hanker for something better.

If you happen to be in the Herts area at some point you're welcome to come for a spin in mine so you can feel the differences between ACS/OEM and the Ohlins.
Cheers mate, I may go down the full coilover route as u, the stock dampers are hopeless, it is a shame I'd have to spend £300 or so for the Adaptive delete, I might wait for Lorcan's dampers which appears to support adaptive, thanks for your offer I may take it up if I am around the Herts area Ohlins is coilover of choice, assume it may cost £3k fitter or possibly more? Big outlay, are they better than the ACS RS kit?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:20 AM   #12
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
£36k Doesn't sound too bad. I bought a JCW second hand. About a year old and the previous owner specced it to £33k
I'd have to agree with u considering the way it looks and drives, it felt like I could take on any car on the road, instant power on the tap, the manual gear box on it was so smooth as well
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:25 AM   #13
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post

Lorcan, not dissing the springs at all, they are pretty good and do as u say what they state on the tin, but the dampers need upgrading too, to get the full benefit, can't justify the outlay on the RS kit, will wait for the sports dampers, looking forward to hearing from u when you get the kit for Adaptive cars, thanks for recommending Mulgari, they are a top outfit and took really good care of me
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #14
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
That's a shame you're not wholly satisfied considering the investment. Mine (technically not mine anymore) is booked in for two weeks time. 15mm ARB, ACS lowering springs and, spacers. I hope the new owner is happy. It's an x drive so there is hope!

The car has 360 surround view too and it would be a shame if that was compromised. AFAIK they are just cameras and don't beep. It is the front and rear sensors that do the beeping. It's plausible that the lowering has changed the angle of those so they are hyper sensitive but I am sure someone will be along to chime in.

What is the stance like? Much wheel arch gap? Any photographs? How exactly is the front loose? Lack of grip? Is there reduced understeer?

As for the remap. Around the corner in Maidenhead you have Quantum tuning. He writes maps from scratch and also wrote the Bird's map. He can probably beat that price too.
U are right mate, it is the parking sensors that are possibly misaligned? Lorcan can you chime in please Re: Adjustments that may be needed?

Stance is a lot better, looks Msport now, there is still a bit of a gap which I hope will reduce once the springs settle, I'll get some pics up later on
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-16-2018, 04:29 AM   #15
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Oh this I didn't know? Any recommendations mate? I thought only ACS offered warranty
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:30 AM   #16
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
Can’t beat a MINI for pure driving fun!

I’d still be in a F56 if I didn’t need space for 2 kids & all the clobber that comes with!

Can’t wait to see the GP3 when they reveal it...
Agree 100%, had never driven a mini before, but what a car, I need a petrol in my life
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:33 AM   #17
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
At that price, I do wonder about the warranty. I would be surprised if it is anything like as comprehensive as the (much more expensive) ACS warranty which dovetails with the BMW one.

If they can genuinely offer 65hp and a proper warranty, that is remarkable.
Well they said the car is covered for upto 3 million or something? I asked how long the warranty is for and what components are covered, they said there is no time limit, if BMW deem the engine or gearbox is f***d because of the map, they will swap it out for free
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:36 AM   #18
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agree 100%, had never driven a mini before, but what a car, I need a petrol in my life

That was mine, pretty much the 1st person to be modding the F56.

It was bonkers!

Last edited by R99; 06-16-2018 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
Junebug851617.50
      06-16-2018, 04:41 AM   #19
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post

That was mine, pretty much the 1st person to be modding the F56.

It was bonkers!
Mate, u take all ur cars to another level, gorgeous looking car
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 05:38 AM   #20
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Cheers mate, I may go down the full coilover route as u, the stock dampers are hopeless, it is a shame I'd have to spend £300 or so for the Adaptive delete, I might wait for Lorcan's dampers which appears to support adaptive, thanks for your offer I may take it up if I am around the Herts area Ohlins is coilover of choice, assume it may cost £3k fitter or possibly more? Big outlay, are they better than the ACS RS kit?
ACS RS versus Ohlins is subjective, but these are some of the physical differences:

RS are twin tube; Ohlins are monotube.

Ohlins are parallel adjustable (single adjuster for bump and rebound); RS are independently adjustable but the rebound adjusters are difficult to reach on the rears.

Ohlins front coilovers are independently adjustable for ride height and spring preload. RS coilovers do not have an in-built fine adjustment for independently adjustable ride height.

I've nothing against the RS kit, I just chose to go down the Ohlins route.

Tengocity has RS on his F31 335d. Both have had track time and we're both happy with how the RS and R&T perform.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.

Last edited by Watsey; 06-16-2018 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 05:43 AM   #21
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I suspect the Ohlins are a "better" damper, but I certainly couldn't justify that on a daily driver, given what else I've done and running a weekend car too!

Also, the spring rates will be different and that will make a difference on day to day driving characteristics as much as the damping itself.

But definitely get better dampers and the average bmw is a much better car.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #22
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

How do the Bilstein B8 Sprints rate as a damper option?

I have H&R sport springs on mine & the front end does push out a little under spirited driving. It doesn’t feel sharp!
Appreciate 0