THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Rear Brakes Overheat

06-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Rear Brakes Overheat

Hi everyone,

last sunday I pushed the car a lot at a tight technical track and on last 3 sessions even with 2-3 cooling laps my rear brakes were screeching like hell when I went out for another session. after 1-2 laps enverything was fine also coming back on the road.

It started about at the same time I got more confidence and started lapping with everthing off and more aggressivly. This happened to anywone else ?

I was thinking maybe the e-Lsd was taxing the rear brakes a bit too much maybe ? I'm telling you, the heat coming from the rears was a lot more than the fronts.. This was done on OEM pads and Gulf R1000 fluid.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I know that I wore out my rear brakes at about 20k miles, and have heard from many that this related to the stability control. I seldom run in the full-DTC-off that activates the eLSD, but I think all of the stability systems work through the brakes. It would make sense that on a tight track you would really be working the LSD much harder. And FWIW, I've been advised by several to not run high-temp brake fluid w/o better pads - the thinking is that it is better to boil fluid (self-correcting), rather than let the pads and calipers heat to the point of meltdown damage (big problems and $$). May be less of an issue w/ these cars, as the 'stock' is still pretty far up the performance ladder (stock fluid is pretty close to the ATE I'm running in terms of boiling points - DK about the brakes, but I'm guessing they designed them to take some punishment).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I know that I wore out my rear brakes at about 20k miles, and have heard from many that this related to the stability control. I seldom run in the full-DTC-off that activates the eLSD, but I think all of the stability systems work through the brakes. It would make sense that on a tight track you would really be working the LSD much harder. And FWIW, I've been advised by several to not run high-temp brake fluid w/o better pads - the thinking is that it is better to boil fluid (self-correcting), rather than let the pads and calipers heat to the point of meltdown damage (big problems and $$). May be less of an issue w/ these cars, as the 'stock' is still pretty far up the performance ladder (stock fluid is pretty close to the ATE I'm running in terms of boiling points - DK about the brakes, but I'm guessing they designed them to take some punishment).

When talking about stock brakes you remind me about the OEM Brembos on the 135i, guys were melting the dust seals on them, but like you said the new M brakes seem to be stronger just guessing by the OEM pad performance.

I think maybe my previous 3 sessions in sport+ put so much heat in them when stability kicked in that only leaving the car alone for a few hours would of worked.

I am eager to see what happens with better pads..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0