F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > A poor show
ARMA SPEED

06-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

A poor show

I am very disappointed that I wasn’t made aware of the 0% rates on 4 Series cars in May.

My wife and I bought our cars (both on the same day) from our local dealership about 3½ years ago and are now prime candidates for replacing them. Had we known about the 0% offer it’s more than likely that at least one of us would have purchased a new car.

I actually found out about the 0% promotion via this online forum and telephoned my dealership on the 30th May - all salesman were busy, so was told that someone would call me back. No one did, not even the next day!

I thought that I’d give it another go, so called the dealership again on the 2nd June. This time I spoke with a salesman. I expressed an interest in the 4 Series and also the 540i xdrive, for which he emailed a brochure. I also stated that I’d like to arrange a 24hr test drive, but as I was going to be away all of the following week he said that he’d call me when I returned - we agreed that he’d call me on the 11th.

I was out with my wife, this Saturday (9th) and we just happened to be passing our local dealership, so called in just to see a few cars in the flesh. One of the salesmen came out and introduced himself, so I explained that another salesman was actually due to call me on Monday. He told me that this particular salesman was in and said that he’d tell him that we were at the dealership so told us to wait whilst he sent him out.

I understand that they were busy on Saturday, but we stood around, foolishly, for quite a while but no one came out - not even someone to tell us that the salesman might have been tied up. We left.

In addition to this, I didn’t receive the telephone call on Monday.

I can only imagine that sales must be very good and that it’s of no consequence to lose a few customers here and there, although I’m absolutely sure it’s not what any business principles would be encouraging.

I’ve owned nothing but BMW’s now for just over 20 years and it’s the first time that I’ve felt as I currently do towards the brand. Many years ago my wife walked into the same dealership and spent some time looking around but was completely ignored, she left, drove to the local Audi dealership and bought a brand new convertible Audi there and then. She’s now suggesting we (together) do the same - not convertibles though!

Is it me or are things just slack these days?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
jaddie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue M4 Comp

That is terrible treatment, if you were trying to get in contact and were looking to change cars then they should really sort something out for you because that isn't very fair for you to miss out because your dealership essentially couldn't be bothered to get in contact.

I'd see about getting in touch with the principle of the dealership and give them an earful about it, if they don't co-operate then give BMW UK a call and explain exactly what you wrote above, see what they do about it as I expect that dealership won't make that error in judgement again.

Failing that the other option would be to go to another dealership instead, if you are however considering getting a new car, then I would highly suggest looking up TRLDeals on Instagram, he is a good guy and does fantastic deals (if you want a dealership connection then Berry would be the one) over by Heathrow.

I also know what it makes you feel like when this treatment happens, I'm having exactly the same outcome of feeling like a spare part with the way I've been treated by a Worthing dealership, unyet the other 2 dealerships nearer me part of the same group are 100x better. Its all down to where you go and who is there and sadly some places just don't seem to go that extra mile if they even get off the line in some cases..

Current: F82 M4 Comp '19
Previous: F36 440i M Sport '18
Previous: F32 430d xDrive M Sport '15
Previous: F30 320d M Sport '14 & E81 118d M Sport '09
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I had much the same with BMW Tamworth. The new staff are pants. Their sales game is at an all time low. I even took it to the manager who couldn't be bothered to call back. After speaking with his boss and still not receiving a call, I gave up and decided to take my custom elsewhere. Glad I didn't waste a journey or stand around. I have found you cannot just show up though and usually require an appointment. If they cannot spot serious customers who show up then they will lose business.

AFAIK, Tony (TRL) is currently based at Berry Heathrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 12:35 AM   #4
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

That’s bad service. I phoned bmw fs to get my VT point and/or settlement figures. Dealership was on phone within an hour and they followed up with phone calls later that week. Do you receive emails generally from your dealer? I was bombarded slightly with the 0% offers available in May.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #5
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

That's very bad and far from my experience.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:50 AM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

It wasn't BMW North Oxford by any chance? I've had similar issues there and when BMW phoned me for feedback I told them that.
This led to one attempt by the dealer to call me to understand further my issue.... I returned that missed call, but the guy was with another customer and now not heard anything further.

So that's them scratched off the list for sales, plenty other dealers.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:51 AM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I've had worse at Audi dealers so wouldn't be buying one of them out of spite!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #8
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

I had a really poor experience at Sytner in Leeds but when was told to go to Sandals in Wakefield who were absolutely great, really accommodating, really wanting to help us and phoned me back when they said they would.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:00 AM   #9
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Times have moved on generally. Not many years ago if someone promised to phone you, they had given their word and would usually try to keep it. Obviously, some more than others.

Now, everyone has a smartphone in their pocket and it should, in theory, be easier to communicate. It seems like the complete opposite is the case. People will only return calls, emails, texts - if it suits them.

Another example is where many people keep their phone permanently muted, meaning that they can choose which calls to take and which to ignore. BMW Dealers are really no different from the general population. If they want to deal with you they will do. If they want to ignore you then that’s what they will do.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:24 AM   #10
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Just vote with your feet & go elsewhere, be it another BMW dealer or Audi if you want.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      06-12-2018, 02:45 AM   #11
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I have experienced something similar and I just can't understand this approach to sales. If someone who worked for me took this attitude they would be fired. They either have the wrong staff, the wrong staff incentive programme, or more likely both.

BMW's aren't exactly flying out of the door. Ever-increasing discounts are needed to sell them. They spend a lot of money on marketing, so ignoring an interested customer who has cash to spend is completely bizarre.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 02:45 AM   #12
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
Just vote with your feet & go elsewhere, be it another BMW dealer or Audi if you want.
Exactly

After having 2 test drives cancelled at the last minute I decided my local dealer didn't deserve my business

I bagged a car from the next nearest who had a refreshingly relaxed attitude but this also extended to never calling me back. By way of explanation I took the car out on their late shift and dropped it back just as they closed.

Which explained how I ended up at the mail box of TRL although at the last minute decided leasing was the better option

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 03:14 AM   #13
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

It's funny - I've just experience similar up in Glasgow.

My most recent car was from Parks, and one before that was Fairbairn's. I'd had a couple of issues with the 330d from Parks (paint on rear bumper) that I was working with them to get fixed when I mentioned I might look to swap out for an X5 on the 0% deals. I had one call where they promised to sort me a good trade-in for my 3 series but getting a drive in an X5 was near impossible, and getting a call back from the salesman even more difficult.

Contrast with Fairbairn's where the salesman who I bought my M135i from called me back within 10mins of my email, sorted me out their X5 demo for the next day and was eager to win my business back from Parks. Completely night and day and, as stated above, I voted with my feet (and wallet!!).

Some dealers (not just BMW) seem to approach sales as if you, the customer, should be working for it and feel privileged that they'll even speak to you!
      06-12-2018, 03:27 AM   #14
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Lloyd BMW in Newcastle have been superb.

They are still family owned so maybe this helps.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      06-12-2018, 03:37 AM   #15
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
I had much the same with BMW Tamworth. The new staff are pants. Their sales game is at an all time low. I even took it to the manager who couldn't be bothered to call back. After speaking with his boss and still not receiving a call, I gave up and decided to take my custom elsewhere. Glad I didn't waste a journey or stand around. I have found you cannot just show up though and usually require an appointment. If they cannot spot serious customers who show up then they will lose business.

AFAIK, Tony (TRL) is currently based at Berry Heathrow.
I picked mine up in Oct from Tamworth... i thought sales were really good, even had a friendly email from the sales lady (April) last month to find out how i was getting on with my new car.

Although i did book my test drive mid week and it was dead quiet... so had plenty of time for a chat and try out a couple of cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 03:51 AM   #16
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

It's no different with other dealerships generally. I went out with my wife to buy a new 4x4 6 months back and we were planning to do a deal there and then as I had some carwow offers as a starting point in the back pocket.

To be sure of getting to the right decision, it being the family wagon, we visited Volvo (XC90), Landrover (Discovery), BMW (X5), Audi (Q7) and Mercedes (GLS).

Not one showed any interest, we were genuinely amazed at how poor the salespeople were. To be fair BMW were the least terrible!

Contrast that with Porsche from yesteryear - my Dad took his 4 year old Boxter S in for a service. Silver with black leather. Pick up time:

"Sorry Sir, it is just being cleaned. But whilst waiting have a look at this 911 convertible." [parked outside the front door - silver, black leather]

"oooh very nice" says my old man. It's quite a step up.

"Well, we just happen to have done the finance numbers and you can just leave the Boxster with us and drive this home for the same monthly payments." [albeit for 4 years longer..]

The old man didn't buy in the end, but it was a very close run thing........
Appreciate 1
Derrymilk190.00
      06-12-2018, 03:59 AM   #17
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
...one before that was Fairbairn's...called me back within 10mins of my email, sorted me out their X5 demo for the next day and was eager to win my business back from Parks. Completely night and day...
My past experience with Fairbairns has been generally good, but sometimes poor. 6 years ago they were bought by the Arnold Clark group. They are hard taskmasters and have transformed Fairbairns into go-getters. 3 years ago I had a similar experience where a Fairbairns sales trainee, whom I had spent several hours with discussing a sale, did not call me back. I called the branch to enquire and spoke to the sales manager. He asked me to drop in and speak to him personally. When I did I was assured the trainee now understood the importance of calling customers. I bought a 1-Series on that visit. I traded it in to them this year for my current 3-Series. They still have some work to do. Occasionally some of the service reception staff treat you with an attitude of undisguised contempt when you raise an issue with your car. I can handle that.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:01 AM   #18
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
It's interesting how much the service you get from your dealership affects the choice of car. If you're set on a particular car and your local dealer isn't helping then do you look for an alternative brand that does have a good dealer or stick with your choice of motor and look for another dealer?

Tolerance levels also play a part. Both myself and the other half have had shocking treatment from local Audi dealers, so much so that I'd never even look an a new Audi now, even if they gave me 50% off (well ok, I'd take it and flog it straight way), but she's on her 3rd Audi and has now found a dealer that is half decent (Audi @ Five Oaks).

My local dealer (Chandlers @ Portslade) seems pretty good. On my 3rd new car from them and they've always been courteous and fair whether it's sales or servicing. If they suddenly went downhill, I expect I'd stick with BMW but try and find a different dealer.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:11 AM   #19
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

In all fairness, the turnover of sales staff in the motor industry is extremely high and even the best run dealerships get their share of poor staff. The test is whether they move them on quickly once they're found out. In my experience and taken as a whole, BMW dealerships are head and shoulders above VAG dealerships in terms of overall customer care.
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:14 AM   #20
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

When i was looking for my 440 i called every BMW main dealer in Scotland , told them my requirements and budget and waited on the avalanche of vehicles and offers to drop into my inbox.

Seven weeks on and only one has called me back , Faibairns Irvine , and that was to tell me that there were none available

No trying to get me to into something newer / more expensive / different model ,no correspondence or courtesy calls at all.

Three calls and a few E-mails to Williams Manchester and the deal was done , pending a test drive.

Kenny
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #21
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
When i was looking for my 440 i called every BMW main dealer in Scotland , told them my requirements and budget and waited on the avalanche of vehicles and offers to drop into my inbox.

Seven weeks on and only one has called me back , Faibairns Irvine , and that was to tell me that there were none available

No trying to get me to into something newer / more expensive / different model ,no correspondence or courtesy calls at all.

Three calls and a few E-mails to Williams Manchester and the deal was done , pending a test drive.

Kenny
That's incredible isn't it? That so many sales based businesses are not even managing the most basic sales tasks.

I've had three primary experiences with BMW dealers. My local dealer have Bristol to themselves, so the cars probably walk out the door. In my experience that means they don't have to work quite as hard for sales, which is understandable. Service is fine, but the dealership is a bit cramped and busy.

Rybrook Worcester were outstanding over seven years from sale through many, many services. They always seemed keen to go the extra mile. Always something interesting tucked in a corner too - Z1 etc.

Blue bell crewe were excellent on the sales front. Haven't used them for service.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:29 AM   #22
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Some dealers are certainly more attentive than others. Maybe now BMW seem focused on volume, there attentiveness has dropped. I remember buying my first new BMW in 2003, and then again in 2006 nothing was too much trouble. However, last year both the dealers I went to (Tamworth and Chesterfield) didn't really seem that bothered or were just rude. Perhaps my purchase wasn't as important to them. I simply walked away.

In the end I leased my car and the car came from Marshall Scunthorpe. Most of my dealings were with the lease company who were efficient and courteous. The car was delivered by the dealer and they spent an hour going over the controls etc. My level of expectation was lower (perhaps with it being a lease car) and they exceeded those expectations.

Previous BMW's:
F36 420i Gran Coupe M Sport; Z4 Coupe 3.0si M Sport; E46 325i Sport coupe;
Appreciate 0