BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Apple CarPlay will soon let you use Google Maps, Waze, and other third-party maps

06-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Apple CarPlay will soon let you use Google Maps, Waze, and other third-party maps

For those of you who may be considering adding Apple CarPlay to your G30

Quote:
Apple CarPlay will soon let you use Google Maps, Waze, and other third-party maps
Starting in iOS 12 later this year, Apple’s CarPlay will no longer force you to use Apple Maps to get directions. Instead, you’ll be able to use navigation from any third-party app, like Google Maps, Waze, or whatever your mapping app of choice is.

CarPlay already supported third-party apps in other scenarios. However, mapping has been one of those classic cases of Apple locking everyone into using its own service. But Apple Maps isn’t exactly a beloved app. And while it’s improved over time, there are plenty of reasons to prefer other services, like all the additional information that Waze provides.

Letting people choose which mapping service to use will make CarPlay a better experience since people will be able to get directions from a service they’re more familiar or more comfortable with, which is pretty important when you’re driving.

CarPlay is Apple’s in-car interface for iOS. In many new cars — or older cars with newer head units — you can plug in an iPhone (or Android phone) and have a version of the phone’s apps pulled up on-screen. It’s a major convenience since your phone is going to know a lot more about you and be connected to a lot more services than your car is. Plus, carmakers are just never going to be as good at making user-friendly software interfaces as phone designers.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17...maps-wwdc-2018
      06-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

This is amazing news. Waze will be on the dashboard
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Does anybody know how good Waze is for UK?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:27 AM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Does anybody know how good Waze is for UK?
I tried using it couple of years ago. It wasn't that useful, so I gave it up. I guess it might have something to do with living in Edinburgh as there weren't that many users. Your post reminded me to give it another go and see if things have changed. Will let you know.
Appreciate 0