E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > LSD 3.62 swop on a AT

06-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

Question LSD 3.62 swop on a AT

I drive a 335i AT and have noticed the advantage vs MT cars due to the gearing and the shorter final drive. Now we all know the car lacks the LSD. I got a chance to get a E60 M5 diff at a steal. Its a LSD and has a even shorter ratio of 3.62. Do you guys reckon it can be changed over and what kind of a reaction do you guys think I will get from the electronics? So far local mechs say it can be done.
If this can work I am sure there are plenty of E60 M5 diff's laying around.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Hey mate,
We tried localy to fit an AT differial to a 335i MT. What we've seen was that the 335i does not benefit from a "shorter" differial. This happens cause the 335i has a hell of a torque at low rpms , so despite what happens with the M cars (that has a wide 8K rpm range and a beneficial torque range at 4-4.5+ rpm) the 335 spins terribly and loses a lot of "ground" as you need to continiously swift gears.

The benefir you get from a shorter differial is while cruising with 4th -5th-6th gear which accelarates from every rpm-point like using 3rd gear. (its really quick in high gears).

If you are using your car for drag races and/or planning to modd the engine i would propose you NOT to even think about using the differial. If just use the car to cruise around and you dont care for racing then the differial "could" be pleasant driving experience.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
If you are using your car for drag races and/or planning to modd the engine i would propose you NOT to even think about using the differial. If just use the car to cruise around and you dont care for racing then the differial "could" be pleasant driving experience.
Hardcore drag cars are geared so they run out of gearing at the end of the 1/4 mile, which is substantially lower then either configuration of the 335. Just saying is all. That's the skill part of drag racing, not burying your foot in the throttle.
      06-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Quote:
Hey mate,
We tried localy to fit an AT differial to a 335i MT. What we've seen was that the 335i does not benefit from a "shorter" differial. This happens cause the 335i has a hell of a torque at low rpms , so despite what happens with the M cars (that has a wide 8K rpm range and a beneficial torque range at 4-4.5+ rpm) the 335 spins terribly and loses a lot of "ground" as you need to continiously swift gears.

The benefir you get from a shorter differial is while cruising with 4th -5th-6th gear which accelarates from every rpm-point like using 3rd gear. (its really quick in high gears).

i dont think u know what your talking about. Do u guys even have drag racing in greece? i mean i understand that americans and road racing dont go hand in hand but the straight line....last i checked the final drive makes a difference.
      06-14-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie2001 View Post
i dont think u know what your talking about. Do u guys even have drag racing in greece? i mean i understand that americans and road racing dont go hand in hand but the straight line....last i checked the final drive makes a difference.
I personally didn't like the feeling of using the shorter AT differial to the MT.
I wouldn't recomend it...

No we don't have authorised/legal drag strips unfortunately but we have "our way" doing our testings under proper conditions

If "Georgesmooth" finaly makes the installation he could give us a second clue.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

Quote:
Hey mate,

Even Autobianchi's spin the tires in Greece. I don't think spinning will be so much of a problem with the help of the diff now being lsd. I feel that the manual has a advantage fourth gear and up. The cars I raced before I got the flash use to start closing the gap I made after 200 so this is where I am looking to gain.
By the way nice pics. Is that the Faliro Marina?
Appreciate 0