F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > First holiday in M40i
GetBMWParts

04-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

First holiday in M40i

For those that may be interested, just back from a family holiday to the Lake District in the M40i. Overall covered 400 miles and overall mileage at 1,100 miles. So nearly at the magic 1,200!!!!

Overall, I am delighted with the car. It’s the first time my wife drove it, and she thought it was a huge step up from her X3 20d. The smile on her face when in sport said it all!

In terms of practicality - the car was great. Carried 4 passengers, bags and all the kids technology easily. There is a lot more space in the cabin than my 330d had.

The car just ate up the miles - seats comfortable and supportive (with lumbar support) and the adaptive suspension gives a very pleasant ride. I have back problems from an old injury and it was the first time for a while I got out of the car pain free! It is a great motorway cruiser.

Some people complain about the road noise, but its not an issue for me - think the acoustic glass really helps and at only £150 is a no brainer option!

The engine never missed a beat. Still breaking the car in - so never over 3.5k revs. Was in eco pro (not much), comfort (mostly) and the odd bit of sport (purely to get up to the speed limit!!!). The car cruised on the motorway easily and there was always loads of power to keep up with the traffic.

The odd stretch in sport was fantastic - the thing becomes a weapon and you really have to watch the speed! Joining the motorway in sport was a pleasure!!!!!

Passing slow moving cars on the roads round the Lake District were a breeze. As my car is debadged, you could see people surprised where the turn of speed (along with the noise!) came from!

Overall got about 33mpg on the whole - which I don't think is at all bad for a car like this.

I will leave the final word to my 4 year old daughter. When leaving at 0600 to head down she said..."Daddy sssshhhhh, you have to be quiet as people are still sleeping...your car is very noisy and very fast......"

Let me know if anybody wants to know anything else. Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 6
      04-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Looks like these come with run flats, is that correct?

Thought it would be like the M140i that doesn't have them, given the M Lite badging.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2766.50
      04-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Standard 20s come with RFTs. Cost option for “High Performance Tyres” - i.e. non run flats. £720 I think which is counter intuitive given the RFTs probably cost more.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2766.50
      04-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Looks like these come with run flats, is that correct?

Thought it would be like the M140i that doesn't have them, given the M Lite badging.
Sadly, RFTs!

I got the space saver spare wheel with my car. Run flats will be going soon!
Appreciate 1
dopper993532.50
      04-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
Standard 20s come with RFTs. Cost option for “High Performance Tyres” - i.e. non run flats. £720 I think which is counter intuitive given the RFTs probably cost more.
I’ve thought this when looking at the configurator, bit of a piss take effectively charging that much for the tyre sealant and compressor!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
For those that may be interested, just back from a family holiday to the Lake District in the M40i. Overall covered 400 miles and overall mileage at 1,100 miles. So nearly at the magic 1,200!!!!

Overall, I am delighted with the car. It's the first time my wife drove it, and she thought it was a huge step up from her X3 20d. The smile on her face when in sport said it all!

In terms of practicality - the car was great. Carried 4 passengers, bags and all the kids technology easily. There is a lot more space in the cabin than my 330d had.

The car just ate up the miles - seats comfortable and supportive (with lumbar support) and the adaptive suspension gives a very pleasant ride. I have back problems from an old injury and it was the first time for a while I got out of the car pain free! It is a great motorway cruiser.

Some people complain about the road noise, but its not an issue for me - think the acoustic glass really helps and at only £150 is a no brainer option!

The engine never missed a beat. Still breaking the car in - so never over 3.5k revs. Was in eco pro (not much), comfort (mostly) and the odd bit of sport (purely to get up to the speed limit!!!). The car cruised on the motorway easily and there was always loads of power to keep up with the traffic.

The odd stretch in sport was fantastic - the thing becomes a weapon and you really have to watch the speed! Joining the motorway in sport was a pleasure!!!!!

Passing slow moving cars on the roads round the Lake District were a breeze. As my car is debadged, you could see people surprised where the turn of speed (along with the noise!) came from!

Overall got about 33mpg on the whole - which I don't think is at all bad for a car like this.

I will leave the final word to my 4 year old daughter. When leaving at 0600 to head down she said..."Daddy sssshhhhh, you have to be quiet as people are still sleeping...your car is very noisy and very fast......"

Great write up thanks.
Are you really hanging on another 100 miles to give it some stick?!?

The only thing is like to know is when you are going to swap it for a lovely 340 touring currently available.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2766.50
      04-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Mr Burt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 340

Quote:

Overall, I am delighted with the car. It’s the first time my wife drove it, and she thought it was a huge step up from her X3 20d. The smile on her face when in sport said it all!

Nice write up mate thanks for taking the time. The MPG looks good and the idea of better refinement over a F31 appeals.
Still on my radar come change time, but currently leaning towards buying my car outright and it becoming a keeper.
Lots of time of course for several changes of mind before then.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2766.50
      04-14-2018, 01:57 AM   #8
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Great write up thanks.

The only thing is like to know is when you are going to swap it for a lovely 340 touring currently available.
Got to admit to giving it a couple of pushes in sport on the way home!

Will be trying it out more when wife and kids not in the car!

Appreciate 1
      04-14-2018, 02:25 AM   #9
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Great write up thanks.

Got to admit to giving it a couple of pushes in sport on the way home!

Will be trying it out more when wife and kids not in the car!

I got to 1,100 miles last week having travelled to Newcastle and back.

Sport mode is seriously fun!

Achieved 39mpg in eco poo and cruise control on the way there and 32.6mpg on the way back, mainly in comfort and a fair amount of sport with the odd blast to the redline but I did notice that the gear change would happen about 1k before the redline. Maybe that's just the engine protecting itself or an automatic change?

I'm sure I'll get the chance to use the paddles at some stage this week.

Glad to hear that you're loving the new motor mate, I know how worried you were having not test driven one but clearly all the journo reviews weren't wrong!
      04-14-2018, 02:38 AM   #10
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

I'm sure in sport the change up is 1k before redline but if you're in manual (to the left) it'll change up at the redline.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2766.50
      04-14-2018, 04:39 AM   #11
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Great write up, thanks for taking the time. Sounds like the B58 is the star of the show and makes the car special. Certainly how I find it in the F36.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 03:24 AM   #12
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dMSport+ View Post

Achieved 39mpg in eco poo and cruise control on the way there and 32.6mpg on the way back, mainly in comfort and a fair amount of sport with the odd blast to the redline but I did notice that the gear change would happen about 1k before the redline. Maybe that's just the engine protecting itself or an automatic change?

Glad to hear that you're loving the new motor mate, I know how worried you were having not test driven one but clearly all the journo reviews weren't wrong!

How are you liking the X5?

It was a gamble ordering the car without driving it- but every review continues to be positive...so worry over now! Still not seen any others on the road yet!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dMSport+ View Post

How are you liking the X5?

It was a gamble ordering the car without driving it- but every review continues to be positive...so worry over now! Still not seen any others on the road yet!
You made a great choice Ranald, I haven't seen a single X3 on the road down here, yet alone your model.

Loving mine, going from 44mpg to 27mpg is a bit of a shock to the wallet but that's to be expected on my commute - on the trip to Newcastle it excelled. Comfort compared to the F30 is night and day.

Now I just can't decide on which alloys to buy