E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Ontario + Radar Detector

06-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Question Ontario + Radar Detector

Anyone knows what happens if you get caught with a radar detector in Ontario? Not working but in a briefcase / trunk in non-operational mode?

I travel alot and I am wondering if I should get a radar detector for the places where it is legal.

Anyone know?
      06-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Mike07335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

If they find it they take it, whether its on or not.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Can they detect it if it is on is what I'm wondering?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
no, they dont take it...as long as you can prove its not wired or plugged in at the time, thats fine.

when you cross the border into ontario, you see the sign where "the use of radar detectors" is prohibited. not the ownership.
      06-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

They can't take it. If it is in your Brefcase they need a search warrant or your consent to even look at your brief case.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mach1 View Post
They can't take it. If it is in your Brefcase they need a search warrant or your consent to even look at your brief case.
Lots of misinformation here. These are the rules (I am a lawyer so don't argue with me )

1. subject to no. 2 below, if you have a radar detector in your car (whether being used, or unplugged), it can be seized by the police and they have the right to search your car to look for it. you can also be fined up to $1000.

2. the only exception is if the device is being transported in a "sealed package" from a manufacturer to an end user. So, arguably, given the strict interpretation of the exception in the Highway Traffic Act, if you bought the detector from a retailer in the U.S. for your personal use, they could still seize it.

End of story.
      06-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Lots of misinformation here. These are the rules (I am a lawyer so don't argue with me )

1. subject to no. 2 below, if you have a radar detector in your car (whether being used, or unplugged), it can be seized by the police and they have the right to search your car to look for it. you can also be fined up to $1000.

2. the only exception is if the device is being transported in a "sealed package" from a manufacturer to an end user. So, arguably, given the strict interpretation of the exception in the Highway Traffic Act, if you bought the detector from a retailer in the U.S. for your personal use, they could still seize it.

End of story.
Thanks.... where does the right to search come from? Reasonable cause or is does the HTA empower the Popo? Any cases in this area?
      06-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

End of story.
I am not a Lawyer so I am not going to argue with you.
But I have friends who are in Police services as per them (At least in Calgary) they cannot serch your vehicle with out your permission. Don't know whether it is different in Ontario. But I believe Highway traffic act is not at the provincial level ? Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mach1 View Post
I am not a Lawyer so I am not going to argue with you.
But I have friends who are in Police services as per them (At least in Calgary) they cannot serch your vehicle with out your permission. Don't know whether it is different in Ontario. But I believe Highway traffic act is not at the provincial level ? Is that correct?
The OP asked about Ontario, so my answer only deals with Ontario. The Federal government doesn't have jurisdiction over provincial highways, so the rules are made by the applicable Provinces. And the HTA (Ontario) is a provincial statute.
      06-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Thanks.... where does the right to search come from? Reasonable cause or is does the HTA empower the Popo? Any cases in this area?
This is an excerpt from the HTA:

"A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12."

As to whether there are any cases, shit, I'm sure there's a bunch of them, but I don't practice in this area, so I can't point to anything in particular.
      06-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The OP asked about Ontario, so my answer only deals with Ontario. The Federal government doesn't have jurisdiction over provincial highways, so the rules are made by the applicable Provinces. And the HTA (Ontario) is a provincial statute.
Fair Enough. Yes he did ask about Ontario.
I am bad
However I assumed some of the Law/Procedures will be standard all over Canada. I guess I was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:

"A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12."

As to whether there are any cases, shit, I'm sure there's a bunch of them, but I don't practice in this area, so I can't point to anything in particular.
nice to know. say, no joke, but is prostitution legal in the city of toronto? ive heard yes, and no and im not sure.

edit: maybe a slightly less direct translation...prostitution or sex trade worker
      06-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:

I would think that would only be the case if their radar detector detector goes off. How else would they know you might have one in your car?

Therefore, best to buy the Beltronics STi Driver.

Some info

With the Beltronics STI Driver, BEL has apparently done the "impossible." They have managed to fabricate a superhetrodyne detector which does not produce LO leakage - typical of such detectors - which current RDDs (radar detector detectors) such as the STALCAR/SPECTRE rely upon to alert proximate detector usage.

What does this mean in real-world everyday driving?

It means professional drivers (ie; truckers who are federally restricted from operating a detector because of some PC law) and drivers in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the District of Columbia, Canadian provinces, and certain other countries - where usage is banned - can drive with the peace of mind of knowing RDDs can not be used against them to locate/identify their usage.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
nice to know. say, no joke, but is prostitution legal in the city of toronto? ive heard yes, and no and im not sure.

edit: maybe a slightly less direct translation...prostitution or sex trade worker
hmmm, not really sure. i think the prohibition is on soliciting for prostitution, but that's just a reasoned guess.
      06-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #15
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

Quote:

Moab:

I've always seen this suggestion, but never knew whether it would work:

Have a large unsealed, addressed envelope near you. When you get stopped, pop the detector into the envelope and seal it up. Do you think they can open the package?

If so, what if I address it to "MOAB - Solicitor/Client Priviledged" - would that work?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #16
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by who's ur daddy? View Post
Moab:

I've always seen this suggestion, but never knew whether it would work:

Have a large unsealed, addressed envelope near you. When you get stopped, pop the detector into the envelope and seal it up. Do you think they can open the package?

If so, what if I address it to "MOAB - Solicitor/Client Priviledged" - would that work?
lol. Now you are getting really technical. And just to be clear, I'm a commercial real estate lawyer, so we are starting to stray away from my area of expertise.

That said, I think they would be able to open an envelope if they had reason to believe you hid the detector in it, i.e. it was not completely sealed. However, you raise an interesting point about if the envelope was marked "solicitor/client privileged". you might be ok in that case - I stress "might" because I just don't know for sure. We are now getting into rules of procedure and evidence which is not what I do. But an interesting thought. Try it and let us know if it works!
      06-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I would think that would only be the case if their radar detector detector goes off. How else would they know you might have one in your car?

Therefore, best to buy the Beltronics STi Driver.

Some info

With the Beltronics STI Driver, BEL has apparently done the "impossible." They have managed to fabricate a superhetrodyne detector which does not produce LO leakage - typical of such detectors - which current RDDs (radar detector detectors) such as the STALCAR/SPECTRE rely upon to alert proximate detector usage.

What does this mean in real-world everyday driving?

It means professional drivers (ie; truckers who are federally restricted from operating a detector because of some PC law) and drivers in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the District of Columbia, Canadian provinces, and certain other countries - where usage is banned - can drive with the peace of mind of knowing RDDs can not be used against them to locate/identify their usage.
And, ironically, Beltronics was founded in Ontario!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #18
Mike07335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:

End of story.
Thanks for backing me up

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Well, if they see you brake HARD all of a sudden in the middle of no where with little traffic, it's probably a good indication that you have one...
      06-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Ah....big distinction.... Motor vehicle doesn't include the person....so stuff the radar detection in the coat that you are wearing. They have no right to search the body.

Does motor vehicle include personal items like a briefcase?
      06-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
Well, if they see you brake HARD all of a sudden in the middle of no where with little traffic, it's probably a good indication that you have one...
haha, its called "officer, i have a cramp in my leg"........
      06-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #22
MechUT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 330i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
To back up the whole conversation.... when's the last time you were randomly stopped and searched for anything?

Even the radar detector detectors simply tell the officer that one is being used in the area - it doesn't identify your vehicle and say "glove box" or "trunk"

So the real answer you are looking for may be:
a) learn how to drive when using one, if you decide to use one (no sudden hard braking, etc)
b) get a stealth model, that is harder to detect.

Of course, on a side note, there was an article in the paper a few years ago, citing how the Port Credit OPP station in Mississauga itself confiscates 100s of detectors a year.

I've realized that, on a casual basis, we think of ways to out smart the police. We gotta remember that it is their job, on a full time basis, to think of ways to out smart / catch us.
Appreciate 0