BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

01-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Stahlbus Oil Drain Valves - Anyone Try Them on their M3?

I recently saw this item and thought it might make oil changes much easier:

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...egory=14025206

However, I'm not convinced they would work on the E9X M3 oil pan because of the recess for the stock drain bolts. The only way it would work is if the hex part of the Stahlbus valve is tall enough to protrude above the oil pan recesses, and still leave enough area for a socket to properly engage the valve.

I am curious to know if anyone has tried these on their M3, and if so, whether they worked.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post

However, I'm not convinced they would work on the E9X M3 oil pan because of the recess for the stock drain bolts. The only way it would work is if the hex part of the Stahlbus valve is tall enough to protrude above the oil pan recesses, and still leave enough area for a socket to properly engage the valve.

I am curious to know if anyone has tried these on their M3, and if so, whether they worked.
I think the valve will stick out, and when you hit a speed bump, it'll rip a hole in your oil pan. We have two drain plugs, so twice the chance of it happening.

These would be perfect if the drain plug thread was parallel to the ground, not perpendicular like our cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Look at fumoto valves. They are better
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Look at fumoto valves. They are better
The Fumoto sticks even further down. It is unfortunate as these would make oil changes significantly easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i would love the ease of using something like this, but i wouldn't risk something hitting it and dumping all the oil in a matter of seconds. it doesn't even have to be a speed bump or something... could be tire tread or a cone that gets kicked up.
      01-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

The front sump should be ok, right? Next oil change I’ll measure the recess for the rear sump drain plug and try to figure out whether these would protrude beyond the reinforcement plate. Maybe adding a small cover that attaches to the reinforcement plate would provide sufficient protection, assuming the installed drain valve does not stick out beyond the reinforcement plate.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Quote:
The front sump should be ok, right? Next oil change I’ll measure the recess for the rear sump drain plug and try to figure out whether these would protrude beyond the reinforcement plate. Maybe adding a small cover that attaches to the reinforcement plate would provide sufficient protection, assuming the installed drain valve does not stick out beyond the reinforcement plate.
I looked into these last year. One additional issue is the recess where the drain plugs go. This is why the drain plugs require an Allen Key rather than a straight hex nut. (As an example the ECS magnetic drain plugs won't work.)

The E9X M3 has been out for 10 years now. Many mechanically savvy people have considered using these valves, but are hesitant for good reason.

The aircraft field also has some options for quick drain valves, but I could not find a system that would work.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

It’s really not very hard to change the oil with the stock bolts. You just can’t overtorque them. I have changed my oil since 2012. There is no clearance to get a socket on a hex head bolt for the front and not much for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:04 AM   #9
Tom F
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I had the same idea and bought a couple awhile back. Gave them to my shop to check out. They said the hex didn't fit in the recess and even if it did they wouldn't recommend because there's not much clearance and the valve protrudes too far. The convenience isn't worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 07:20 AM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Best for a side discharge pan or a vehicle with lots more ground clearance.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #11
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

It's too bad about these. The oil change itself is relatively easy; what I was trying to make simpler was the cleanup. It would have been really nice to just connect a tube that drains directly into a container, eliminating the splashes and mess associated with removing the drain plug and having the oil fall into a pan.

We would need a valve that has the valve mechanism built into the inside of a stock-style allen bolt - and that may not bee particularly trustworthy.
Appreciate 0