E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Overseas Plates in VA

05-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI, 03 Wrangler Sport

Overseas Plates in VA

I am bringing my car back from Spain with Dip plates on it. It has never been registered in the US so they won't give me plates until the car arrives. Does anyone know how long, or if, I can drive the car for a period of time with the Diplomatic plates on it? I am only concerned with getting it home from Baltimore but don't want to get in trouble for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

few questions.

1. if you have a diplomatic visa, then you have nothing to worry about. (diplomatic license etc).
2. if you have proper registration, you are fine. (i think it's okay for 30 days).

as for no.1, we had diplomatic visas and tags - had diplomatic immunity and did not have to conform to state laws.
as for no.2, when i did euro delivery i had euro tags for the first 20 days or so driving around munich tags with proper paper work, no issues. As soon as I got the tags I reverted back to US tags and there was no problem.

Good luck. I was in Spain a while back. Loved it.
Can't wait to go visit Cordova, Spain near future.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperelite View Post
I am bringing my car back from Spain with Dip plates on it. It has never been registered in the US so they won't give me plates until the car arrives. Does anyone know how long, or if, I can drive the car for a period of time with the Diplomatic plates on it? I am only concerned with getting it home from Baltimore but don't want to get in trouble for it.
I think you'll be ok. We have 1 car brought in from Belgium with diplomatic tags as well and was used (sparingly) until the state department tags arrived. Best to check with your protocol officer and OFM though.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Spain is a great place to visit but not with a brand new BMW when you are an anal SOB. In the past four weeks I have had a kid draw on her with a blue permanent marker, some ass at work didn't like the way I parked so they hit it with their pack and scratched the rear quarter panel and someone rubbed the rear quarter panel with their bumper. Can't wait to get the car to the US where scratches are NOT the norm... Really, it is a great place to visit but I've been here three years and want to be home...

Just got off the phone with the DMV. Finally got through,

The Foreign tags are good for 30 days upon arrival of the vehicle from overseas. If you can prove that you registered the vehicle for 365 days in a foreign country, you don't pay any tax to register... Not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
I think you'll be ok. We have 1 car brought in from Belgium with diplomatic tags as well and was used (sparingly) until the state department tags arrived. Best to check with your protocol officer and OFM though.
Thanks for the input. The DMV hadn't been able to give me an answer at first, they said to contact the local police. Now that I have the answer though, I feel a lot better. I only plan on going from Baltimore to Springfield but feel a lot better knowing it is legal. I don't think Roscoe P. Coltrane of the highway patrol would be too impressed by the Dip plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperelite View Post
Spain is a great place to visit but not with a brand new BMW when you are an anal SOB. In the past four weeks I have had a kid draw on her with a blue permanent marker, some ass at work didn't like the way I parked so they hit it with their pack and scratched the rear quarter panel and someone rubbed the rear quarter panel with their bumper. Can't wait to get the car to the US where scratches are NOT the norm... Really, it is a great place to visit but I've been here three years and want to be home...

Just got off the phone with the DMV. Finally got through,

The Foreign tags are good for 30 days upon arrival of the vehicle from overseas. If you can prove that you registered the vehicle for 365 days in a foreign country, you don't pay any tax to register... Not too bad.
hahha. yeah i hear you. Well once the car comes in USA. if you need a proper detail to bring it back to new condition - let me know. I agree, if i lived in Spain, i would be driving a SEAT Leon.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Raja,

Hate to go off topic with the plates but I am very interested in a very detailed detailing job. I've done the boest I can but my best isn't good enough for me. The car should be on the ground in Springfield O/A 7 July. I have some etching on the front from bugs that I didn't get off quick enough and the above mentioned love taps. How much notice do you need to make the appointment? Do you do the detailing during the week or weekends also? I wouldn't mind being there to see someone who knows what they're doing work...
Appreciate 0