BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > How to repair rock chips

11-02-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
How to repair rock chips

Was unfortunate to be behind an M4 who thought I wanted to race. Kicked up alot of pavement and splattered all over my car I was waiting for my detailer to come back from SEMA
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 04:22 AM   #2
diavliyo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128TI

Photos
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #3
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
Was unfortunate to be behind an M4 who thought I wanted to race. Kicked up alot of pavement and splattered all over my car I was waiting for my detailer to come back from SEMA
Sorry to hear. I'm guessing you're waiting on Man from Detail Maniac. I'm actually bringing my car to him next weekend. Maybe you should make a visit ti him and see what he says
      11-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
Sorry to hear. I'm guessing you're waiting on Man from Detail Maniac. I'm actually bringing my car to him next weekend. Maybe you should make a visit ti him and see what he says
LOL, HOWD YOU KNOW IM FROM SACRAMENTO? ARE YOU GOING TO CARS COFFEE THIS WEEKEND?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
LOL, HOWD YOU KNOW IM FROM SACRAMENTO? ARE YOU GOING TO CARS COFFEE THIS WEEKEND?
Lol just a wild guess. I'm actually picking up my car this weekend in SoCal and driving back up to SF so I won't make it to C&C
      11-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Let it get worse then get it painted, or get a fine brush and fill chips then polish over with a soft cloth to blend in, works well on black cars
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

I use Dr ColorChip process which gets the job done, not perfect but good enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
This is why you get paint protection film. At least on the front of the car.

Just leave them till it's worse and get a respray. And then wrap your hood, bumper and headlights in PPF.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
This is why you get paint protection film. At least on the front of the car.

Just leave them till it's worse and get a respray. And then wrap your hood, bumper and headlights in PPF.
That was the plan but my detailer is in Vegas for Sema, I just took delivery on Monday last week
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That was the plan but my detailer is in Vegas for Sema, I just took delivery on Monday last week
Sorry to hear that. See if they can touch it up before it gets wrapped. That's pretty much all you can do unless you want to pay for a respray.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #11
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F87 MG DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
That's pretty much all you can do unless you want to pay for a respray.
Anyone have a ballpark on what a bumper respray would cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftsham View Post
Anyone have a ballpark on what a bumper respray would cost?
$400-600
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F87 MG DCT

thanks, that's fairly reasonable then
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Bummer, since its a brand new car I would probably get it resprayed and then Xpel it. This is depending on location and your level of OCD. If it is in a inconspicuous location touch up might be find but get your Xpel done asap. I also suggest the rockers as they take a beating because of the shape and my guy did an expanded area in front of the rear wheel, Xpel is much more transparent than the crap that the factory puts on and the factory piece is too small to cover the areas that take a beating.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Bummer, since its a brand new car I would probably get it resprayed and then Xpel it. This is depending on location and your level of OCD. If it is in a inconspicuous location touch up might be find but get your Xpel done asap. I also suggest the rockers as they take a beating because of the shape and my guy did an expanded area in front of the rear wheel, Xpel is much more transparent than the crap that the factory puts on and the factory piece is too small to cover the areas that take a beating.
I went this route. Tried Dr Colorchip but wasn't happy with it for as many chips I had. If you respray though watch out for when the PPF comes off, it can rip the paint or clear coat off. I wonder if Suntek is less likely to rip the paint off? Or if some kind of wax or something between the paint and the PPF is worth it to reduce chance of paint being ripped off? Anyway if you respray have them bake it and then have the car in the sun or heated garage for as long as you can before PPF.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

I've just taken delivery of my LCI and have gone down the route of having it PPF'd (with Suntek) before any chips could damage the car. The car is now with the detailer, having it Opti-Coat Pro+ coated ... so maybe the discussions I had with the detailer about PPF & stone chips may help..?

The detailing process will correct the paint and help show off the fantastic lines of the M2, but the detailer (who is a perfectionist) said that there was little point correcting the surfaces that were to be PPF'd as the film masks/conceals most/all of the paint defects.

Having watched the PPF go on the car, I'd agree with this - the look of the surfaces that have been filmed is definitely glossier than the rest of the car. The detailer may still slightly correct the film to optimise the brilliance in the paint, and the film will be Opticoated for easier maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
I use Dr ColorChip process which gets the job done, not perfect but good enough.
I'd actually do this before there are any more paint chips. The Dr. ColorChip (etc) products don't give a 100% factory look, however provided you do a reasonable job with the touch-up ... once the film goes over the top of the repaired area, you will likely be unable to notice the chip at all as the film will mask any surface/paint inconsistencies. And a good film installer may be able to further minimise/hide any problems that could persist after the PPF is applied.

Quote:
If it is in a inconspicuous location touch up might be find but get your Xpel done asap.
^ Good advice

Quote:
I also suggest the rockers as they take a beating because of the shape and my guy did an expanded area in front of the rear wheel
If it helps, the areas of the car that I PPF'd were:
  • Front bumper
  • Headlights
  • Luggage lip on rear bumper
  • Rocker bars
  • Door cups
  • Behind the rear wheels
The PPF installer insisted on doing the last two (free of charge): the area behind the rear wheel attracts a lot of stone chips, particularly where the (exposed & painted) bumper surface curves from the panel to inside the wheel arch.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #17
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

If you are skilled enough you can do near flawless repairs by slowly filling the chip up in layers using a toothpick with drying in between until the touch up paint is slightly raised above the surrounding paint. You then use 2000 up to 3000 grit wet and dry on the end if a pencil tip until you level the paint and surrounding clear blends. You then run a compound then a finishing polish prior to coating/filming/ whatever LAP you want. the repairs generally come out very very good if you are patient and do not try and layer too thick.

A good detailer should be able to do this. there's info out on this on some detailing forums and websites.
Appreciate 0