M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

10-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
ddiimmaa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6spd

Clutch pickup in Manual F10 M5

Question for the manual owners..
Bought a 14 used m5, clutch was just replaced two days into ownership under warranty after I got a drivetrain light popup.

BMW told me flywheel is in great condition, and the person that owned the car before didn't know how to drive.

Lucky me..

So that being said I now have it and the clutch picks up literally off the floor.

I brought it back today, and the shops lead tech drove it also said that's doesn't seem right.

Question I have for anyone that has the manual M5, where does your clutch pickup?

This is all stock, wondering if there's an underlying issue with either the slave/master and the clutch isn't disengaging fully which caused the clutch burn out to begin with. Was told by the bmw tech the clutch when pulled looked "glazed" but still had some life in it.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
alex91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I have 2013 6 speed and my clutch feels like any other clutch. If yours picks up that low, there is definitely something wrong with it. Send back to the shop that installed it and let them figure out.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
S65 Pilot
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

I also have a '13 6 speed, its a typical BMW clutch pickup point. Very near the top of the swing, and touchy if you aren't familiar.

Air in the Lines? Did you bleed it?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
ddiimmaa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65 Pilot View Post
I also have a '13 6 speed, its a typical BMW clutch pickup point. Very near the top of the swing, and touchy if you aren't familiar.

Air in the Lines? Did you bleed it?
So here is the kicker, took it to BMW- they took it apart said clutch is fried, replaced as a one time courtesy seeing as I just bought the car.

I am still feeling the same issues - very rough, I can almost feel the clutch grinding / slipping when I am changing gears ( drove manual for 15+ years) so not new to this. Its almost like the clutch isn't releasing or picking up properly. Brought it back to BMW tech agreed, the bled out some fluid pickup got better- however now its even rougher and I am having some problems getting into gear at anything above 3k. Going back to BMW next week. Something is very off, I remember having a problem with my master / slave cylinders on a previous car with very similar issues. But unless they see a code I doubt they will do anything.
Appreciate 0