BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > trakk wrap or tracktape on headlights?

10-22-2017, 03:13 AM   #1
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

trakk wrap or tracktape on headlights?

I'm picking up my car in about 2 weeks and have a 400 mile drive back home. Not terribly far but I'm still gonna wrap the front end, mirrors, and rear fenders with most likey trakk wrap.

My question is it okay to put it on the headlights? Just wanted to make sure before I apply it on there if it's safe or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze
I'm picking up my car in about 2 weeks and have a 400 mile drive back home. Not terribly far but I'm still gonna wrap the front end, mirrors, and rear fenders with most likey trakk wrap.

My question is it okay to put it on the headlights? Just wanted to make sure before I apply it on there if it's safe or not.
it's fine on headlights. if you've never used a product like this, make sure all the edges are firm and not facing the wind. if not it'll peel a bit, pick up crap and work like magic sandpaper.
      10-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Careful if there is rain in your future.

For headlights and no rain, I've used blue painters tape. I've been told to use seran wrap on headlights... never tried it though.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I've used Road Wrap. No residue. Saran wrap seems like it would be almost useless due to how thin it is. lol If you are going through the trouble, just do it right. Painter's tape is not as good as road wrap or trakk tape and will leave some sticky residue to clean off. Plus it looks extremely dumb.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #5
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

just blaze I'm planning to use a combination of blue painters tape, and Con-Tact Clear Covering that I bought at Target for $5.99. I stuck a bit to the corner of the screen of my iMac as a test, and it seems to stick quite well and doesn't leave any residue. It's not that thick so I might double it up, but it was cheap - 18" x 20' for only $5.99!

I'm taking some wide painters tape to go over edges just in case, but plan on doing the full hood (in a few sections), bumper, headlights, partial fenders, rocker panels and maybe the area behind the doors in front of the rear wheels. I've got two rolls so I'll just do what I can.

I'm hoping to pick up next Friday 10/27, and there isn't any rain forecast yet... wish me luck!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 02:08 AM   #6
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
just blaze I'm planning to use a combination of blue painters tape, and Con-Tact Clear Covering that I bought at Target for $5.99. I stuck a bit to the corner of the screen of my iMac as a test, and it seems to stick quite well and doesn't leave any residue. It's not that thick so I might double it up, but it was cheap - 18" x 20' for only $5.99!

I'm taking some wide painters tape to go over edges just in case, but plan on doing the full hood (in a few sections), bumper, headlights, partial fenders, rocker panels and maybe the area behind the doors in front of the rear wheels. I've got two rolls so I'll just do what I can.

I'm hoping to pick up next Friday 10/27, and there isn't any rain forecast yet... wish me luck!

Just less than a week for you! I'm wondering if the dealership will allow us to leave the transport wrap that's on the top of the trunk, roof and hood. It would save us a lot of time wrapping those areas
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
Just less than a week for you! I'm wondering if the dealership will allow us to leave the transport wrap that's on the top of the trunk, roof and hood. It would save us a lot of time wrapping those areas
I already asked about that, and was told no... They said they've had issues with paint under the transport wrap in the past and owners, like us, have traveled then complained about it. It's then impossible to know when the damaged occurred, so they now inspect all paint on arrival.

My CA did offer to provide painters take for the journey though.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
I already asked about that, and was told no... They said they've had issues with paint under the transport wrap in the past and owners, like us, have traveled then complained about it. It's then impossible to know when the damaged occurred, so they now inspect all paint on arrival.

My CA did offer to provide painters take for the journey though.

That's unfortunate, but I get it. Would of saved us a lot of time not worrying about those areas.