E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Stripped oil plug/pan? Question about threads

10-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
RNByrd3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2006 330i 6 speed

Stripped oil plug/pan? Question about threads

Hi all,
Posted this in the tech section, but thought I'd try here as well.
I am the owner of a 2006 330i. I went to do a routine oil change and found that the oil plug just keeps turning and turning. From looking at this forum, it seems this is not an uncommon occurrence. The problem I'm having is what the mechanic at a local import shop is telling me. He is telling me that the pan itself is not threaded and that there is a "bolt" inside the pan that the plug threads into, and this is what broke away causing the plug to keep turning.
I was under the impression that the pan was threaded and the plug simply threads into this. Can someone confirm or deny what the mechanic is telling me is accurate? If it's just the threads on the plug, I have a new plug to replace it. If it's the threads on the pan, I was told that this can potentially be repaired with a heli-coil insert. I'm just trying to avoid a $1,200 bill if possible.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
I would try a heli-coil repair, if memory serves me correct...The threads are part of the pan, no insert
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
OP3NAIR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i e93, '03 325xiT

Why helicoil it? Just tap the pan the next size up and get a larger diameter drain bolt.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
RNByrd3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I feel like the mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about. As I recall, there are threads right on the pan itself, though he's saying that's not the case. I didn't think there was a "bolt" inside the pan that the plug threads in to. I think I'm going to take it elsewhere.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
CaddymanLNL
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
I would try a heli-coil repair, if memory serves me correct...The threads are part of the pan, no insert
This is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP3NAIR View Post
Why helicoil it? Just tap the pan the next size up and get a larger diameter drain bolt.
This is a better idea more then likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNByrd3 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I feel like the mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about. As I recall, there are threads right on the pan itself, though he's saying that's not the case. I didn't think there was a "bolt" inside the pan that the plug threads in to. I think I'm going to take it elsewhere.
Thanks again.
I would take it elsewhere, but, the official "by the book" way to fix it is to replace the pan as it is now stripped.

Both the options above are easy to do and should be permanent though.
      10-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #6
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

This is a very common problem and kits are made to repair the threads. Someone mentioned heilicoil. My personal experience is using timesert and they work very well.

http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html
      10-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
RNByrd3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
This is a very common problem and kits are made to repair the threads. Someone mentioned heilicoil. My personal experience is using timesert and they work very well.

http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html
Thank you, I will look into that. And you're saying that the pan itself is threaded? As I stated, the mechanic is trying to say that there is a "nut" inside that the plug threads in to.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

the pan is definitely threaded. There's no "bolt". Somebody (your mechanic?) probably cross threaded it at some point or way over tightened it.

FWIW the RWD/manual cars use a steel pan; auto/xi cars are aluminum. It's not that easy to strip the threads on the aluminum pan, much less steel.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Are mechanics just stupid or dishonest. I don't know anymore.

But I bet if I had the same problem I wouldn't be able to find a mechanic to rethread my pan either. They prob would refuse to do it stating they can't warranty that type of work.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
RNByrd3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
the pan is definitely threaded. There's no "bolt". Somebody (your mechanic?) probably cross threaded it at some point or way over tightened it.

FWIW the RWD/manual cars use a steel pan; auto/xi cars are aluminum. It's not that easy to strip the threads on the aluminum pan, much less steel.
Thank you very much. So do you think it's likely the plug threads, or the pan threads?
I am definitely taking it somewhere else. When my wife went to pay the bill and get my key, the guy tried charging me for a windshield washer fluid fill (which I just did myself a few weeks ago and haven't used the washer fluid since), and an oil filter (why would you put in a filter if you can't get the plug out to drain the oil?!). Mind you, I did not authorize them to do anything to the car once he told me that the "bolt" inside the oil pan broke off. Luckily my wife called me and we were able to have those charges removed. They then told my wife that we are no longer welcome at their garage (as if I'd go back there anyway). First and last time I deal with those guys. C&W Imports in Lancaster, PA for anyone here that would consider going to them.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNByrd3 View Post
Thank you very much. So do you think it's likely the plug threads, or the pan threads?
I am definitely taking it somewhere else. When my wife went to pay the bill and get my key, the guy tried charging me for a windshield washer fluid fill (which I just did myself a few weeks ago and haven't used the washer fluid since), and an oil filter (why would you put in a filter if you can't get the plug out to drain the oil?!). Mind you, I did not authorize them to do anything to the car once he told me that the "bolt" inside the oil pan broke off. Luckily my wife called me and we were able to have those charges removed. They then told my wife that we are no longer welcome at their garage (as if I'd go back there anyway). First and last time I deal with those guys. C&W Imports in Lancaster, PA for anyone here that would consider going to them.
lol they had a melt down over comping you a 5 dollar oil filter and washer fluid

You should one star them on yelp.. They look like a fairly new garage with only 4 reviews. Prob all them and their family.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
OP3NAIR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i e93, '03 325xiT

It’s anyones guess if it’s the bolt or the pan. If I had to guess, probably the pan but if it were me, I’d replace the bolt and repair/chase the pan threads.
Two other things, if it spins in the drain hole that also means it’s going to leak. Fix quickly and watch your oil level.
When you fix it, make sure you pour a couple quarts of oil through the fill hole and out the drain before you put the bolt back in and fill it for good. Yes, you will waste the oil but you need to get the shavings out from cutting new threads.
The “right” way would be to pull the pan off but I get that it’s a huge PITA to do this.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
RNByrd3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
lol they had a melt down over comping you a 5 dollar oil filter and washer fluid

You should one star them on yelp.. They look like a fairly new garage with only 4 reviews. Prob all them and their family.
Way ahead of you!
They actually tried charging me $30.00 over the price they quoted me 2 hours prior to my wife going to pay the bill.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #14
nuron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Before tapping new inserts I would find a mechanic that can chase and clean up the threads to see if it's salvageable that way (and use a new bolt). My drain bolt wasnt spinning in it's slot like yours but some of the threads felt tight so I cleaned it up with a harbor freight tap and die kit and it's been fine ever since.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I gave you a good answer in your thread (no pun intended) in the tech Forum.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0