E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 335 fuel leak gas smell

10-17-2017, 03:59 AM   #1
marinmcgreevy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i manual trans

2007 335 fuel leak gas smell

All

About a year ago I started smelling fuel when I fill up my gas tank. This leak has progressed to the point that now when I fill my tank there is a large puddle and and a significant drip. The drip is on the passenger side (right side) just forward of the rear wheel well. See the photo. The drip stops as the level drops. I have reviewed some posts on the subject of the tank vent pipe chaffing. Those post are on older UK cars and some are diesels. The job to replace the vent pipe appears to be quite involved. Has anyone else had this symptom? I am going to have to deal with this and I want to plan the work so I do not have to dissassemble the wrong thing.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
marinmcgreevy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

No other US 335 drivers have had this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
86merc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi sedan

Mine happened to do the same thing the day you posted that. I believe my smell is from a small leak on the gas fill overflow tube. It seems to rub on a hole in the chassis that BMW doesn't protect against. The "fix" they have is adding a plastic corrugated shield over the hose. lol I plan to add a rubber grommet to double protect the tube.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:37 AM   #4
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4

Its the fuel regulater...have fun
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
taichinhhanaHN
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: black, luxury

old gearhead, good mechanic on old cars, read everything about electric cars
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
marinmcgreevy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Hi all.

Replaced the low pressure fuel pump. Nothing else. Crack in the plastic housing the mounts to the fuel tank with the hose and electrical connections. No more fuel leaks!

Thanks for the help all.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinmcgreevy View Post
Hi all.

Replaced the low pressure fuel pump. Nothing else. Crack in the plastic housing the mounts to the fuel tank with the hose and electrical connections. No more fuel leaks!

Thanks for the help all.
Yup. The hat tend to crack over time. Hopefully the ring around the top of the tank also got replaced
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #8
Giovannibellido23
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 335i sedan (e90)

2007 BMW 335I (335i) GAS LEAKING

My 2007 BMW 335i Sedan has been leaking gas from what I believe is the gas tank. I filled my car up full yesterday morning and only drove about 1 hour in total throughout the day and when I stopped driving it, it was at 1/2 tank already which i was very confused about. Today I was at less than 1/2 tank with 26 miles left and I saw a big gas puddle underneath my drivers side passenger seat. I've seen a couple posts that have said that a "gas leak" would be caused from either of these things: bad seal on the fuel pump; fuel pressure regulator housing, etc. those videos have to do with the regulator which is under the drivers side passenger seat. Below I have a picture of where fuel is leaking from above the gas tank it seems like and then leaks down the side of the tank then down to the ground. Please help me!!! It's getting worse and worse. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #9
Giovannibellido23
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 335i sedan (e90)

My 2007 bmw 335i sedan (e90) has a gas leak!!!

My 2007 Bmw 335i sedan has a gas leak under the drivers side passenger seat beside the muffler. I believe it's the gas tank but I'm not too sure. It's a black boxy holder for gas I believe. The gas is coming from the top of the gas tank and draining on the tank then to the ground. I've been spending more money than usual on gas but then confirmed it when I saw a VERY BIG puddle of gas earlier after filling it up. I have a video of the gas draining after I filled it up. Please help me, I can send you a video of the gas leaking if that would be easier but there are pictures below. THANK YOU!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:26 PM   #10
Mantraxalos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibellido23 View Post
My 2007 Bmw 335i sedan has a gas leak under the drivers side passenger seat beside the muffler. I believe it's the gas tank but I'm not too sure. It's a black boxy holder for gas I believe. The gas is coming from the top of the gas tank and draining on the tank then to the ground. I've been spending more money than usual on gas but then confirmed it when I saw a VERY BIG puddle of gas earlier after filling it up. I have a video of the gas draining after I filled it up. Please help me, I can send you a video of the gas leaking if that would be easier but there are pictures below. THANK YOU!!!
giovani why don't you take out the rear seats and there will be 2 circular panels with four 10mm bolts each. Once you removed those I'm sure you will have a much better idea where the leak is coming from. The rear seat bottom cushions will pop out when you pull directly up.
best of luck
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:59 PM   #11
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i sedan (dior)

I’m sure i’m late but BMW SHOULD fix something related to fuel smell or leak for free… Not a good look on BMW if one of their cars blow up or cause a fire and someone is injured from it just speaking from what i saw with other car companies
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #12
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonversace View Post
I’m sure i’m late but BMW SHOULD fix something related to fuel smell or leak for free… Not a good look on BMW if one of their cars blow up or cause a fire and someone is injured from it just speaking from what i saw with other car companies
BMW totally would have fixed that for you if you were under warranty, now in 2021 you want them to fix the issue for free 14 years after your car was manufactured? Keep dreaming my friend.

While the issue is somewhat common leak largely due to failing plastics in the fuel regulator there are no real sources of heat/sparks in that area that would cause it to catch fire. I could be wrong here but I personally don't recall reading about a car fire due to a fuel tank leak on E9x platform.

For the record no other car company would fix this issue either for example Hyundai/Kia have a huge issue with random fires starting in the engine bay that has been going on for years with thousands of cars burning to a crisp. They have only now started to issue recalls and only for a very small subset of vehicles with tons of customers being screwed to deal with their insurance companies when their cars burn. Tons of news networks have made news reports on this and Hyundai still fails to fix/recall the issue.
Link:

Lets also not forget about the Ford Crown Victoria that was famous for bursting into flames if they were rear ended because of their choice to install the fuel tank further back in the car than most other vehicles on the road. There were hundreds of lawsuits and documentaries created about this issue, did ford ever recall the vehicles? No, they did not.
Link: https://www.autosafety.org/popular-p...e-tied-deaths/

Remember the first gen Ford Explorer with the exploding Firestone tires where nearly 300 people lost their lives and Ford/Firestone knew all along the tires were unsafe but continued to install/sell them for the vehicles just to save a buck?
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...re_controversy

No car manufacturer will issue a recall and spend millions or even billions of dollars fixing a safety issue unless the risk of fire/death/financial consequences are severe enough to outweigh the cost of paying out hush money to everyone that has the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Great now BMW is comparable to Hyundai and Ford.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #14
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
Great now BMW is comparable to Hyundai and Ford.
Hey Ford GT, I wouldn't mind one of those. For that matter ill take a GT350/GT500 any day
Appreciate 0