E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Headlights & brake light stay on with buzzing at fuse panel

10-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
GSchmitty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Hi, I am new to this forum and to BMW's. We purchased an used 07 328i and after several month of ownership have the following issue that I'm hoping someone can help with. I have searched forums, but found nothing with this problem.

When inserting and removing the key, there is an intermittent buzzing coming from the fuse panel behind the glove box that lasts for about 4 seconds. The buzzing is coming from the right side of the panel, next to where the power cable connects. This was determined by touching the panel while it is buzzing. It sounds like an electrical short. When the temperatures are warm, the running lights and brake lights will flicker and stay on upon removing the key. When it's dark and the headlights are on, then they will also stay on. The lights don't always stay on, but often enough that it has run down the battery on a few occasions when we did not notice they were on. We can get the lights to turn off by continually inserting and removing the key until the lights turn off, or by removing a fuse (which is a hassle). Also, the light for the emergency lights switch (triangle button) flickers while the buzzing is occurring, and sometimes the headlights will also flicker.

I have taken the car to a local mechanic who removed the fuse panel and sent it somewhere for repair. I have no idea what they repaired and it was not cheap! This corrected the problem for a couple months, then it returned. I was not happy with the mechanic so I have not returned. I did purchase a used fuse panel just a few weeks ago and installed it, but it did not fix the issue. Therefore, I am thinking the issue is not in the fuse panel.

Has anyone had this issue, and found a solution? I appreciate your help.

Last edited by GSchmitty; 10-16-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
GSchmitty
United_States
Rep

Anyone have any ideas on what's causing this problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Dabrwright
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i V. Red/SB

Garage List
Maybe a faulty relay
Did they swap the relays from the old fuse board to the new one?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
GSchmitty
United_States
Rep

I installed the replacement fuse board, and all the relays came with it. So, the relays were also swapped out. Also, I can remove the relay on the right side of the fuse board where the buzzing is coming from, and the buzzing is still there. I believe the problem is somewhere else in the electrical system, and possibly causing a relay issue, or something, inside the board.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

how olds your battery? i had a similar issue when my battery charger didnt work and i drained the battery from using the water pump and started a buzzing sound behind the glove box.

i got the battery fully charged at auto zone for free and it resolved the issue. No more buzzing from behind the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
GSchmitty
United_States
Rep

TemjinX2, A new battery was installed this summer. However, it may be worth having the battery checked to make sure all is as it should be. I appreciate your insight.

When you had the buzzing, did you experience any lissues with any lights?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchmitty View Post
TemjinX2, A new battery was installed this summer. However, it may be worth having the battery checked to make sure all is as it should be. I appreciate your insight.

When you had the buzzing, did you experience any lissues with any lights?
did you register the Battery?

also, post a Video of the Noice and light issue.
do you know if you have LED or OEM?
leds will flicker, but usually on start up, not shut down.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
GSchmitty
United_States
Rep

Posting an update for others who may have this problem. It ended up being the CAS module (Car Access System). It was replaced, the new battery registered, and all is good. Total cost was $770.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50