E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Pre-LCI Angel Eye flickering even with car turned off

09-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Pre-LCI Angel Eye flickering even with car turned off

Hi guys-

Had both angel eyes out on my 2007 (4/07) 335i. Got a set of LED bulbs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and installed them. Passenger side seems fine but driver's side flickers constantly *with the car turned off.* I find that very odd. a DMM shows 8.5v with the car off, 11.5 when on. When the car and lights are on, both sides seem fine. Very unfortunately I buttoned the passenger side back up already so I can't swap the bulbs. It's a PITA and I'd prefer not to if I didn't have to. This is a pre-LCI, with the bulbs under the wheel well liner so I'd need to jack the car, remove the wheel and liner, and deal with the stupid cup to get to the bulb. Was hoping someone had run across this before and knew what it was. There are some similar posts but nothing definitive.

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK as I typed that I figured it would be as easy to do the needful as bitch about it so I pulled off the passenger side wheel and put the DMM on the angel eye leads there and got no voltage with the lights off. So that appears to be the problem: 8.5 volts on the AE green lead on the driver's side even with the car turned off is causing the flickering.

Any idea what would cause this? I have to say I got the car with its share of problems, but wiring hasn't really been one of them. All wiring seems intact and in good shape, clean grounds, etc. So seeing voltage where it shouldn't be strikes me as odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
Hi guys-

Had both angel eyes out on my 2007 (4/07) 335i. Got a set of LED bulbs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and installed them. Passenger side seems fine but driver's side flickers constantly *with the car turned off.* I find that very odd. a DMM shows 8.5v with the car off, 11.5 when on. When the car and lights are on, both sides seem fine. Very unfortunately I buttoned the passenger side back up already so I can't swap the bulbs. It's a PITA and I'd prefer not to if I didn't have to. This is a pre-LCI, with the bulbs under the wheel well liner so I'd need to jack the car, remove the wheel and liner, and deal with the stupid cup to get to the bulb. Was hoping someone had run across this before and knew what it was. There are some similar posts but nothing definitive.

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bump. Any ideas? TL;DR is that my drivers side angel eye flickers when car is off.

I PM'd Lux and he was kind enough to reply (thanks again) and he thought he may have heard of something like that but couldn't recall. The bulbs are cheapie Amazon but I think with voltage on the suspect side it's related to car not bulb. Can I code around this?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Final bump. Little help? Anyone see anything like this before?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
bailey5
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

code the bulb check for this that will solve all your led flicker problems
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Not sure if I can help but consider buying a proven set of angel eyes that work error / flicker free. You can find some good options in the vendor for sale section. Cheap Ebay/Amazon stuff usually results in what you'd expect.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Not sure if I can help but consider buying a proven set of angel eyes that work error / flicker free. You can find some good options in the vendor for sale section. Cheap Ebay/Amazon stuff usually results in what you'd expect.
Thanks for the replies Jeff@TopGearSolutions and bailey5. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had given up on this thread and apparently didn't have email notifications on.

I haven't really got coding on my e90 sorted yet but can and will if that's the answer. I'd also drop $125 on bulbs for this issue to make it go away if that is the answer. But I'm worried that I'm dealing with a wiring issue since I have ~8v on the wire with the car off, and just on one side. Is that normal behavior for a bulb check? And if so, would a set of higher-end sponsor-provided bulbs solve that issue?

email notifications now on for this thread thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
Thanks for the replies Jeff@TopGearSolutions and bailey5. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had given up on this thread and apparently didn't have email notifications on.

I haven't really got coding on my e90 sorted yet but can and will if that's the answer. I'd also drop $125 on bulbs for this issue to make it go away if that is the answer. But I'm worried that I'm dealing with a wiring issue since I have ~8v on the wire with the car off, and just on one side. Is that normal behavior for a bulb check? And if so, would a set of higher-end sponsor-provided bulbs solve that issue?

email notifications now on for this thread thanks for any input.
I honestly don't know how much voltage these cars pull but here is my educated guess. When the Day Time Running lights are on I believe these cars run full voltage (12-14.2v). When the headlights are on I believe the angel eyes dim to a lower voltage.

I'm not sure why you have 8 volts.

What I do know (and I'm not trying to be a salesmen) is the lights you bought are VERY inexpensive and likely a large contribution to your issue. You'll see in the market today that the very popular options and the reliable options do come at a different price point.

Anyway, focusing on a solution I would believe you have 2 options, try coding or try a different angel eye.

Also for troubleshooting purposes, if the stock bulbs work, it likely means the wiring and voltage is fine, pointing to the issue of the LED's.
Appreciate 0