E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Tire Thrown Into Me On Highway

08-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
Skaufma0
Riding the Thin Blue Line
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Garage List
Tire Thrown Into Me On Highway

Okay so driving into work tonight I had a huge chunk of tire (road debris from a trailer) thrown up into my bumper by another car. I'm debating what to do since the budget is looking a bit tight lately (a couple new additions to the family). Luckily the damage isn't too bad, mostly scuffs and a cracked fog light lens. Could have been WAY worse.

1) If I just get it sprayed, the bottom piece, the black guard that sticks down under the bumper is totally broken, so where would I find one of those?

2) If I take the opportunity to do the m3 bumper swap what all do I need to do it completely? Do the headlights need to be replaced, too?

FYI>>> I've got a 2008 e92 335i Pre-LCI, non M-Tech.
      08-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

To do the M3 bumper you just buy the M3 REPLICA bumper and install it. If you buy the rep with the fog lights you will need an adapter plug to change the fog light plug from h8 to 9006 or whatever the m3 rep bumper uses, and if you buy the rep with the air ducts you need nothing else. No new headlights or anything else needed except for paint.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
To do the M3 bumper you just buy the M3 REPLICA bumper and install it. If you buy the rep with the fog lights you will need an adapter plug to change the fog light plug from h8 to 9006 or whatever the m3 rep bumper uses, and if you buy the rep with the air ducts you need nothing else. No new headlights or anything else needed except for paint.
Any idea what the cost would look like? And how about a reputable source for a bumper with good fitment? I know that tends to be an issue with the replica stuff.
      08-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaufma0 View Post
Any idea what the cost would look like? And how about a reputable source for a bumper with good fitment? I know that tends to be an issue with the replica stuff.
Here is the most recent thread I could find on the subject. From what I found in all the other threads and this one, ebay sounds like the best bet, though you might need a converter for the fog lights, or possibly have to trim the fog light housings depending on what you have now.
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Price is going to depend on where you get the bumper from and the region you are in when it comes to paint prices. In CA we generally have higher prices for paint work than I've seen others post about. I got lucky and got mine done all through a local body shop who has a source for the bumpers and was also offering a black Friday special for bumper and paint. I'd say you're looking at $750-1k depending on where you source everything unless you can find a killer deal like I did.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Awesome thanks guys. I guess I have some decisions to make...

I'm going to try and buff it all out this weekend, but if that doesn't work I'll get a quote for the paint and compare the difference.