F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Saving my coding before dealer flash
GetBMWParts

08-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CS Limerock Grey

Exclamation Saving my coding before dealer flash

Hello all!

I am installing my MPPK from the dealership on 08/18 and I have a problem. The dealer will have to flash the ECU and all my previous coding will be deleted. I had multiple basic coding done like seatbelt gongs etc done by BimmerTech and also coded LCI tail lights and LCI fog lights. I was told there was a way to save all my previous coding in a file prior to MPPK install and re install the codes after the ECU is flashed from the dealer. I am wondering if anyone knows how to do this (both the save and the re install). I am extremely new to coding so please forgive my ignorance. I have been talking to roundel on PM and he has been helping me but I thought I would make this post as well. From what I understand he was telling me to save each individual area that I plan on modifying but I am unsure what exactly is modified secondary to BimmerTech's initial coding. I have been doing some research and I found something about saving files below. Does this have anything to do with what I am trying to do?

Full backup of Car's configuration files:

It's a good practice to take a full back up of Car's original settings before any changes are made to the car. These files could be used as reference in case it is desired to go back to original settings of any or all features.

Read and Save FA:
Connect E-Sys to your car.
Select "Expert Mode" on the left pane and click on "Coding" button therein. It will display 4 sections/Boxes on the right side.
In Vehicle Order Box (upper left), click on "Read" button, it would display FA of your car under FA List.
Select FA and click on “Save” button. Save as FA_original.
Test button above will show the path of the saved FA file.

Read and Save SVT:
Look at SVT Actual Box (right pane, midway down) and click on "Read SVT" button.
SVT box on left will display SVT of different modules of your car.
Click on the Save button on SVT Actual box and name the saved file as SVT_original.
Text button above will display the path of the saved file.

Read and Save CAFD (ncd) files:
Inside SVT box (left side), you see SVT, containing ECUs and each ECU contains files in expanded view.
Notice that some of the CFD files will have green check marks. These green marked CAFD files are of our interest.
Right click on first green marked CAFD and then press and hold control key on your laptop and click on all other similar marked CAFD files. This way all such CAFD files will be selected for further operation.
Now move to right in “Coding” box and click on "Read Coding data". After codes are read, green icon will change into a folder icon and the files inside will contain the data read from your car.
Check the folder "C:\Data\CAF”, this will contain all the read CAFD files.
Copy and Save all the files in a safe place. These are your original CAFD files.
Alternatively, you can use utility "Copy_CAF_v3.bat", copy it anywhere on your laptop and double click on it to automatically save the files under a Folder "C:\My_CAF_Files" with date and time stamp.

Your help would be greatly appreciated
      08-05-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

This guide to save your codings is good.
But it doesn't matter if the dealer is flashing all ecus because all ecus will get a new cafd.
In my opinion you can not do much, except you write some changes in the vehicle order (for example LCI fog lights has Code 5A1).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
daMANiack
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F26 X4 35d

Hi,

You can get a copy of TokenMaster's NCD / CAFD Tool 0.5.0.

Save all of your existing CAFD files for every ECU as a backup and save to a new directory so you don't overwrite files and after the dealer has coded, make a copy of that CAFD file, then use TokenMaster's NCD / CAFD Tool 0.5.0 to do a COMPARE between backup and new file, then copy that info and paste into a .txt file and print out.

The printed info will only display changed coding.

I've done this with each default ECU CAFD file I originally saved before coding, and after coding so I know what changes I've made.

Cheerz
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

You cannot and should not try loading CAFD's from earlier firmware. Get used to using Launcher Cheat Codes and quickly re-code vehicle after flash.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
daMANiack
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Hi,

If you're referring to what I said, I would only use the printed alterations from the compared files as a guide to make manual coding changes to the BMW dealership updated ECU coding so you get back coding changes you'd previously made.

Cheerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
You cannot and should not try loading CAFD's from earlier firmware. Get used to using Launcher Cheat Codes and quickly re-code vehicle after flash.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
daMANiack
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Hi,

Are updated cheat sheets available, or do they only get included in the latest released TM's Launcher?

Cheerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMANiack View Post
Hi,

Are updated cheat sheets available, or do they only get included in the latest released TM's Launcher?

Cheerz
You can get the latest from Github.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMANiack View Post
Hi,

If you're referring to what I said, I would only use the printed alterations from the compared files as a guide to make manual coding changes to the BMW dealership updated ECU coding so you get back coding changes you'd previously made.

Cheerz
Nope. Was referring to OP query. Another way to save changes list is to use BMW Coding Database.
Appreciate 0