BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

07-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x m3 sexiness

HELP! codes thrown actuators and more! details inside

So my car went into limp mode a few times and got it to clear by shutting off and restarting the car. Finally after meeting up with some friends out it went into limp mode and would not go away. I drove it home annoyingly slow because i could not rev any higher past 4k rpms. long story short i took a 3,000 dollar snapon reader and viewed the codes.

So my journey began. as i tore apart the entire top of the motor i figure ill clean and replace everything else that should be replaced maintenance wise. I replaced all plugs with NGK, i replaced my valve cover gaskets and all brake pad sensors. I cleaned up any oil mess because the gaskets were leaking some. I also changed the oil and filter.

I ordered and replaced the gears in both throttle actuators. I used the upgraded steel/plastic gears. and the teeth shown a lot of wear on the old ones. the circuit bored checked out clean no discoloration or deformation of anything. i ensured the little steel leads were aligned and inserted into he boards upon reassembly. i reconnected all wires cleaned up the motor etc ensure everything was secured before tightening it all up.

Keep in mind when i do extensive maintenance i disconnect the battery "ground only" mostly when handling with wires etc. when i first started the car it was still in limp mode i cleared the codes and it was fine, for a short period. the actuators worked the throttle body valves opened up i took it for a ride i let it warm up and took it around the block and BOOM! limp mode and codes thrown.

on the little display it says CC-ID 29, 31, 35, 24, 354, 415, ive also had 229 but now disappeared. I will grab the code reader monday and check the codes again to see in detail whats going on. hopefully i get answers.

additional FYI i struggle to clear the maintenance light. i hit the tac button and scrolled down to oil and held the BC button but it simply wont clear knownly i changed the oil!!! dangit.
Attached Images

Last edited by E92friendly; 07-10-2017 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
ohhgourami
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP

Simply changing the gears after your TVAs put you into limp mode rarely fixes the issue. You most likely have damage to the MOSFETs and possibly other parts of the board. Change the MOSFETs too and see if the issue goes away. Luckily, the TVAs have gone down in price these days.

Replacing gears is to PREVENT issues, not fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:30 AM   #3
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
Simply changing the gears after your TVAs put you into limp mode rarely fixes the issue. You most likely have damage to the MOSFETs and possibly other parts of the board. Change the MOSFETs too and see if the issue goes away. Luckily, the TVAs have gone down in price these days.

Replacing gears is to PREVENT issues, not fix.
Well, from a lot of research replacing gears have fixed the issue in other peoples scenarios. I was hoping that was my case. I purchased 15 MOSFET's while purchasing the gears as well just in case. Tomorrow after work i will swap boards and see if the issue follows to the second bank. If so then that is the case. I inspected the MOSFETS and saw no differences between the boards. I will inspect again maybe have my tech computer engineer friend take a look as well after my trouble shoot. hopefully the prices have dropped i also work on cars so i should get a nice discount from the dealer as well if and so it came to that point.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
ohhgourami
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP

I've went through a lot of those threads where replacing the gears fixed the issue temporarily then the issues came back a few weeks after.

Best of luck that replacing MOSFETs will fix it for you though. The S85 actuators are basically the same (cheaper). All you need to do is swap out the linkage arm.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
I've went through a lot of those threads where replacing the gears fixed the issue temporarily then the issues came back a few weeks after.

Best of luck that replacing MOSFETs will fix it for you though. The S85 actuators are basically the same (cheaper). All you need to do is swap out the linkage arm.
thanks! ill keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 03:05 AM   #6
m3boost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ESS625, Bronco

I personally got the gears and then said why would I want to do this job twice if the electronics are bad. Ended up ordering 2 new TA and sold the gears. I had the same codes as you. Did the change and no more codes or limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I wonder if it is possible to just order new boards. Hmm. :
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Just order the actuators or do the rebuild.org.uk gears (it could be a pain to drill, I don't own a drill).

I used the brass gears and one failed (rods started spinning inside of the brass gear), it lasted about a year or so. Now I have another failure and assume it is the actuator with the other brass gears.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Just order the actuators or do the rebuild.org.uk gears (it could be a pain to drill, I don't own a drill).

I used the brass gears and one failed (rods started spinning inside of the brass gear), it lasted about a year or so. Now I have another failure and assume it is the actuator with the other brass gears.
This is what I purchased and installed. However codes are still thrown so I may have to test each mosfet which I will today. I don't see how those gears would shred apart when making contact against plastic. The link is the gears I purchased.

https://ukarauto.com/988-13627840537...kit-gears.html
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92friendly View Post
Quote:

This is what I purchased and installed. However codes are still thrown so I may have to test each mosfet which I will today. I don't see how those gears would shred apart when making contact against plastic. The link is the gears I purchased.

Those are different.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=707
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Those are different.

I'll order on-brass gears since brass expands when heated. My problems started on a day that was extremely how and humid. It was so hot, some of my gauge displays started to fade (specifically the area that displays fuel, oil etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #12
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Those are different.

I'll order on-brass gears since brass expands when heated. My problems started on a day that was extremely how and humid. It was so hot, some of my gauge displays started to fade (specifically the area that displays fuel, oil etc.
Yeah what I have are different and it's against plastic to avoid any issue as such.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah what I have are different and it's against plastic to avoid any issue as such.
It looks good.
What codes are you now having?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the codes.

Last edited by L4ces; 07-12-2017 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Edit:
Appreciate 0