BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding CarPlay feedback

06-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
CarPlay feedback

Initial feedback from another thread I posted in:

Ok just got CarPlay and once I finally paired my phone in the proper way I'm pretty pleased with it on first use. Seems easier and visually nicer than the BMW display and menus.

A few improvements that could be made:
1) allow track selection from the HUD menu
2) allow some more info displayed in the secondary pane on the main screen so I can have maps up on main pane and CarPlay visualisation on secondary. Although as it stands having CarPlay in main and perspective map on secondary is good enough given directions pop up onto HUD.

After a bit more of a play:

Even those apps that aren't on CarPlay still get their audio through seamlessly. I was listening to something, started the car and the audio streamed through nicely. Both the Bluetooth audio and connected drive struggled to do anything so simple.

Amazon music worked great too.

Message was read out nicely and response taken through dictation as well.

All in all it's pretty good so far. Its really disappointing it's not just standard and you have to pay for it. Specially since BMW own system seems to have issues doing basic things now.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
nil1
Rep
Drives: 540i

Have you experienced random pauses while playing audio via CarPlay? Every once in a while CarPlay audio just drops out while the song is still playing (the song time keeps ticking) and sometimes CarPlay just straight up freezes and I have to switch to satellite radio and back into CarPlay to get it to come back.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Interesting - no I haven't. But I have experienced very similar things with the connected drive or Bluetooth audio. Perhaps it's just a general phone connection thing? Also I've only used it for 3-4 days but tbh in those days I've not noticed any issues really.
Appreciate 0