F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > EUROPE (Continental) > F30 318d safe tuning (?)
Studio RSR

06-25-2017, 04:47 AM   #1
Billy_f30
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

F30 318d safe tuning (?)

Hello everybody,

I own an F30 318d (143ps/320Nm) for over a year now and although the car is not slow, you can't tell it's fast either! And since selling it and buying a new one is out of the question for the time, the only way remaining is tuning it!
Or should I not? - I wouldn't wanna miss my car's motor credibility either!! So, I'm looking for a truly reliable way to make it happen....

And while I see lot's of 320s, 330s and higher being tuned on the web (mainly on youtube), my model that needs more power than the models above, is well missed from all forums and tubes!

And here are my choices:

My first and most probable choice: Racechip Tuning
Racechip seems to be the most famous chip tuning company. Costs something like 500€ and gives a theoretical boost of 34ps + 80Nm. Easy to install and easy to uninstall if problems occur. The only bad thing here is that I read a couple of adds selling these chips, which makes me thinking it twice: does it really deliver power without problems or not? - why are people selling it?

Second choice: DTE Chip Tuning
A friend mentioned about them and claims that they are way better than Racechip. They claim a little less power boost 28ps + 66Nm, while costing 40% more (700€), but they are supposed to be more credible in reliabilty and actual power delivery.

Third choice: ECU tuning
This seems to be the least credible choice: playing with your BMW's head-unit is not a joke! Regardless that, I see that quite many people dare it! But what happens then? Will the car keep a fair reliability for the years to come?? Who knows!? This is my last choice and while I do believe it is the least wise to do, I also believe that it is the one choice that does deliver most power to feel in the car....

Can anyone advise me please??
Thank you all,
Ilias.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Daracle
Registered
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F34 318d GT MPack

Hey,
Not sure why nobody seems to have replied to you. I just upgraded my F34 with a RaceChip Pro 2. It didn't cost €500 (actually £209 - including 24h UPS delivery!), but I think you are referring to the the Ultimate version - right?

I can say that it's definitely noticeable and I've only had it on for a few days, but well worth the money vs cost.

The Ultimate version was a little outside my budget for this sort of stuff at £349.00 for a few extra horses.

Take a look: https://www.racechip.co.uk/shop/bmw/...5kw-320nm.html

The good thing with this is that it's literally plug and play, take 10-15 minutes to install.

I'd now like to possibly upgrade the air intake system...anyone have any experience on that?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
arainho
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daracle View Post
Hey,
Not sure why nobody seems to have replied to you. I just upgraded my F34 with a RaceChip Pro 2. It didn't cost €500 (actually £209 - including 24h UPS delivery!), but I think you are referring to the the Ultimate version - right?

I can say that it's definitely noticeable and I've only had it on for a few days, but well worth the money vs cost.

The Ultimate version was a little outside my budget for this sort of stuff at £349.00 for a few extra horses.

Take a look: https://www.racechip.co.uk/shop/bmw/...5kw-320nm.html

The good thing with this is that it's literally plug and play, take 10-15 minutes to install.

I'd now like to possibly upgrade the air intake system...anyone have any experience on that?
And now, after some months of experience, what is your feedback, can we know? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 05:16 AM   #4
Billy_f30
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

Hello everybody,

I am coming back to my subject after 6 months full of experiences!

In July I traveled in Germany and installed NBT retrofit at my car. I did it at BIMMER TUNING in Bonn and I have been fully satisfied - the NBT works perfectly!
BIMMER TUNING is also doing remaps for engine upgrade.
The man who installed my NBT advised me to prefer remapping to chip tuning - he said that chips may cause serious electric problems, which can even reach engine failure, according to customers of BIMMER TUNING. On the contrary, he said, he's got many customers that preferred remapping and have driven many thousands of kilometers with no problems so far.

Although BIMMER TUNING's service was great for my NBT upgrade, my trip plans had already included a chip-tuning test, just a few kilometers away from them.

I had already arranged a test with DTE Chip Tuning at Recklinghausen, Germany.
They said they would install a Chip, appropriate for my car model with no commitments to buy! Fair enough! And so they did - I visited them, they installed their chip and then we driven in the neighborhood, in order for me to decide. My decision came out easily: no serious difference was felt in my cars pedal and so I kindly denied the purchase. Also importantly, I didn't like at all, all these cables coming in and out of my engine! - All these chips are said to be "easy installing", but I realized that you have to be an expert to do these plugs inside the engine!

Besides the chip, we also tested the "PedalBox" which was plugged MUCH easier to the accelerator of the car. The Pedalbox showed immediately its presence and so I decided to buy it. The PedalBox increases significantly the accelerator's sensitivity to the push of the foot. But does not increase the power of the engine in any aspect. It just increases the reaction in soft pushes of the pedal. For F30 owners it's easy to describe it: when you choose the Sport Mode in the car, you feel the increased pedal/engine sensitivity - well, it's exactly the same, maybe in a higher sense!
In the beginning it felt as if I upgraded my engine, but it was just the sensitivity and nothing more. The fuel consumption increased as well!

And all above conclude my summer upgrades!

Later, in October 2017, I decided to remap my engine, after persistent research between F30 owners that had already done it and also between BMW authorized service garages!
All answers collected supported my intention to do it!
Owners said they were too happy and met no problems, while BMW’s manager of the garage also admitted that statistically no cases have appeared for such problems! One of them even told me that BMW programs differently its (identical?) diesel two litter engines, in order to market the car for different segments of tax payers in Germany.

So, I proceeded with my remap in a local garage in Athens, well known for good results in BMW’s and perfect feedback. The car is now counting 5.000 km with no problems, while I just had my 50.000 km service and no bad notes came out of BMW’s authorized service garage.
My car was metered at 147Hp/318Nm before and 190Hp/420Nm after remapping the engine.
My feeling? The car was significantly upgraded! The feeling is totally different and you can feel it instantly! It definitely delivers more power in all engine rounds! I am just (even) more careful when the engine is cold – I don’t push it before I see the temperature reached the center of the meter (100o C).
And that’s all folks!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
mpijnen
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 318d

My previus car was a 535d so i needed some aditional horses in my 318d.
I’ve got mine 318d remapped to 200hp/400nm about 30.000km ago and still zero issues!

0-100km obd timed @ 6,9 seconds. A complete different car then before..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
Bryera
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpijnen View Post
My previus car was a 535d so i needed some aditional horses in my 318d.
I’ve got mine 318d remapped to 200hp/400nm about 30.000km ago and still zero issues!

0-100km obd timed @ 6,9 seconds. A complete different car then before..
Hay mate have PM you want to know more about your 318d mapped 200 thanks 😁
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
tromantroman
Registered
Rep
Drives: f31 328xi

Dear Sir you have been lied, 318d cannot produce 200bhp/400nm , its turbocharger and injector cannot perform so high
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
Bryera
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromantroman View Post
Dear Sir you have been lied, 318d cannot produce 200bhp/400nm , its turbocharger and injector cannot perform so high
They can get 200bhp I been on two rolling roads one where they mapped it and someone I know that come back at 198bhp so they are in the same region and I know of more geting 200 /208 the 320d can get the more because of the bigger injeters 😁
Appreciate 0