E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Real carbon fiber skinning, alternative to resin?

06-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Real carbon fiber skinning, alternative to resin?

For months now I have been debating with my self what to do with my plastic silver interior trim to make it look good. I have carbon fiber vinyl wrap on it at the moment but not too pleased with it. I am not a fan of the real carbon fiber trim either. I don't really like the "wet" look that the thick layer of resin gives to it. But last night I had a new idea - what if I stick a layer of carbon fiber on it (as you do when skinning) but don't apply any resin, instead spray it with a thin coat of some clear coat so the cb pattern texture remains exposed. The problem is I have never worked with carbon fiber, never even seen the cb fabric, and I have no relative knowledge at all(clearcoat sprays etc). What do you guys think? Can it be done and what would it work look wise? And what can I use for the clear coat?

Ta!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
whiskey_waffle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

I don't know what CF vinyl you currently have, but maybe check out 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl. It sounds like that might be what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I have crappy looking vinyl, but I bought some of the 3M and did one trim piece with it. It's better but not good enough for my liking. Plus it's quite rigid and wrapping it perfectly around all corners is almost impossible.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Just put a light resin coat on? Doesnt it need the resin to strengthen the CF sheet.
      06-06-2017, 02:28 AM   #5
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Watching Youtube videos that resin looks quite thick and gooey. Applying a thin coat would be impossible. As for strengthening... it's interior trim, doesn't really need strength. I'm going for looks here.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey_waffle View Post
I don't know what CF vinyl you currently have, but maybe check out 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl. It sounds like that might be what you're looking for.
As mentioned the 3M Dinoc has a texture to it and its not glossy at all.
Looks and feels good.

|instagram@underground6t9|
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

But I am not asking about 3M Di-Noc, I am asking what with I can spray the real carbon fiber skin to give it a thin clearcoat. Ideally something that will not crack as that plastic trim does flex somewhat.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Couldn't you use resin, but finish it with a matte clear coat? Or would that hide the texture completely?

Seems like it's time for you to buy a small CF set to experiment!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Maybe look into carbon fiber look fabric. They used to sell it as an alternative to vinyl - it's not real carbon but looks like it and doesn't have the shine of wet CF. You use 3M spray adhesive and other than that it wraps similar to vinyl.

Not sure if spraying clear coat on actual carbon fiber would be enough to keep the threads from separating during use. You can always try buying some carbon and spraying clear on it to see what happens. It would be cheap enough to experiment. I've messed with CF before, but never tried clearing raw carbon. The way they get the matte look on real CF is impregnating the fabric with resin and then setting it under vacuum. Not really feasible for what you're trying to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
The way they get the matte look on real CF is impregnating the fabric with resin and then setting it under vacuum. Not really feasible for what you're trying to do.
I think that's what they call "dry" carbon fiber? Very light and expensive. I bet it would look good.

I was hoping this wasn't a new idea and someone had already tried this but looks like I will have to do my own experimenting.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #11
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
Couldn't you use resin, but finish it with a matte clear coat? Or would that hide the texture completely?
I think resin would be too thick. But like you said, time to buy some cf and do some experimenting.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
I think resin would be too thick. But like you said, time to buy some cf and do some experimenting.
Quote:
Wet vs. Dry Carbon Fiber
Posted by Will MacNeil on 07.01.14
dry carbon fiber rip

Without being directly informed about wet and dry carbon fiber, any normal individual may overlook the differences. Although the desired look is purely personal preference, the design, manufacturing, and care of wet and dry carbon fiber differ greatly.

The term carbon fiber is widely used to describe these similar looking panels that are effectively lighter in weight than their metal or plastic counterparts. There are differences in the way in which the panels are made, the ingredients used to make the panels, and the structural design that effect each panel’s strength, weight, and inevitably their cost.

What is Wet Carbon Fiber?

Wet, Dry, Carbon Fiber

Wet carbon fiber is the carbon fiber that has that overall glossy finish to it that you might see on a high end Mercedes, for example. Generally cheaper than dry carbon fiber, wet carbon fiber can be produced mainly in one of two ways: painting or infusion.

Painting:

No matter how carbon fiber is made, there are certain quality controls in the manufacturing to ensure that it doesn’t just fall apart. However, the painted method for wet carbon fiber seems to be the loosest on those quality controls. On the other hand, it’s also the cheapest option for the manufacturer and consumer.

This process involves painting an epoxy onto the woven carbon fiber structure and curing it with an exterior heating source. This is the least effective way to cure and properly bond the epoxy. This process results in a finished product that has a varied consistency in the epoxy distribution, weight, and strength. Even the slight imperfections in the epoxy during this curing process can result in drastic drop offs in structural strength.

Infusion:

This particular method involves using high amounts of pressure and a vacuum (clearly not a cleaning vacuum, but a vacuum in which there is absolutely no air). While the carbon fiber is weaved, an epoxy is applied to the surface and with the high amounts of pressure and a vacuum, the epoxy is pushed through the fibers until the consistency of epoxy throughout the fibers is measurably accurate. The structure is then cured and tested for approval.

Dry Carbon Fiber

Dry carbon fiber is quite a bit different. It costs more but is roughly 70% lighter than wet carbon fiber and is just as strong. The reason that dry carbon fiber looks “dry” is because it’s the most strict in terms of quality control.

Dry carbon fiber is made by coating each specific weave with a appropriate amount of epoxy while it’s being made, before it has set or cured. This optimizes its strength and limits the amount of unnecessary epoxy in the structure. This is how it significantly cuts down on weight. Because the epoxy is not coated on the surface and baked in, it has that dry look to it.

Because dry carbon fiber is so much more expensive, you’re most likely to see it only on performance cars that are enhanced for the track.
Found this online. Might help!
Appreciate 0