E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Further down the rabbit hole.....

06-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A dream

Further down the rabbit hole.....

I posted a little while back about a misfire issue I was having and my 335i has decided to take it another step further which really has me nervous and scared of what could possibly be wrong.

Here was my last thread which contains all info up until this point....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1387734

This morning, I started my car to leave station and the car idled the worst it had ever. I gave the gas a couple blips and it essentially did nothing. White smoke pouring from tailpipes, absolutely wreaking of fuel. I hoped the computer would adjust and tailor it back, went from a string of really warm days to a cool morning.

In a couple minutes, thought it was odd that condensation was already dripping from the exhaust tips. On a closer inspection it was fuel. In another minute, fuel was literally running out of my exhaust.

Shut the car off and left it as I headed to work at another station.

Any one have ideas on why my car would seemingly run richer and richer and richer to the point fuel is basically being pumped through the entire car like a gas station?

A few datalogs from a week or two ago and a back story are in that thread I linked.

Thanks in advance guys. Trying to fix this on my own since now is not the best time to spend the money to take it somewhere. About to lay it up in the garage and get ready to have to do some major work if that's what it comes to.......
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

OP,

My 335i had the same exact issue when my fuel injectors went bad. Fuel was literally dumping out of the exhaust and it smelled awful and LOTS of white smoke.

When my fuel injectors were going out, it was hit and miss. One day, the car would start up just fine, drive fine, idle fine, no SES light. Other times, it would idle terribly and this is when the fuel was spilling out of my exhaust with a ton of white smoke.

My Indy didn't go into details but told me when you have fuel like that coming out of the exhaust as well as terribly rough idles, it is almost every time going to be your injectors.

I don't think there is a physical way of testing the injectors other than reading your codes thrown. The misfires that you are getting on the codes points to your injectors. Also, there is a chance that your O2 sensor could be bad because of the excess of fuel getting dumped into the exhaust(I believe this sensor runs somewhere in the exhaust although I could be wrong there).

Change your fuel injectors and report back. I am almost sure that's the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
OP,

My 335i had the same exact issue when my fuel injectors went bad. Fuel was literally dumping out of the exhaust and it smelled awful and LOTS of white smoke.

When my fuel injectors were going out, it was hit and miss. One day, the car would start up just fine, drive fine, idle fine, no SES light. Other times, it would idle terribly and this is when the fuel was spilling out of my exhaust with a ton of white smoke.

My Indy didn't go into details but told me when you have fuel like that coming out of the exhaust as well as terribly rough idles, it is almost every time going to be your injectors.

I don't think there is a physical way of testing the injectors other than reading your codes thrown. The misfires that you are getting on the codes points to your injectors. Also, there is a chance that your O2 sensor could be bad because of the excess of fuel getting dumped into the exhaust(I believe this sensor runs somewhere in the exhaust although I could be wrong there).

Change your fuel injectors and report back. I am almost sure that's the culprit.
jeddo, thanks so much for confirming your thoughts. I sent an email to the guy I bought the car from asking if he had ever changed the injectors (he was the only owner) and he said they were never changed, and the car is currently at 110K miles now.

I'll order a set. I have been looking around and it seems the only legit ones I can find for a decent price are on FCP euro. If I remember correctly, they were approximately $850 for six, index12. Any other sources I should consider?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post
jeddo, thanks so much for confirming your thoughts. I sent an email to the guy I bought the car from asking if he had ever changed the injectors (he was the only owner) and he said they were never changed, and the car is currently at 110K miles now.

I'll order a set. I have been looking around and it seems the only legit ones I can find for a decent price are on FCP euro. If I remember correctly, they were approximately $850 for six, index12. Any other sources I should consider?

Thanks!
I've heard rock auto is cheapest. Fcpeuro might price match and you get their lifetime warranty
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjones View Post
I've heard rock auto is cheapest. Fcpeuro might price match and you get their lifetime warranty
Thanks Danny. I've looked some more and the cheapest I have found of the index 12 part number ending 937 is at ecstuning for $800 but I am very thankful you mentioned the lifetime warranty at FCP, I'm a sucker for an included LW.

I am leaning toward FCP.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks Danny. I've looked some more and the cheapest I have found of the index 12 part number ending 937 is at ecstuning for $800 but I am very thankful you mentioned the lifetime warranty at FCP, I'm a sucker for an included LW.

I am leaning toward FCP.
I just bought a valve cover from them and got more than $100 off by price matching ecstuning

Add to your cart then price.fcpeuro.com
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Quote:

Thanks!
Just curious, there was a BMW recall involving the injectors. Allegedly it was not related to age or mileage. If yours are original I wonder if they would qualify? I'm battling some other problems on a car I just picked up but the injectors appear to be original/index 1 at 130k and I was dreaming about asking an SA. Somewhat bold to go in with a 10 year old car, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Might be talking out my butt here but is this still a thing?

edit: here's a thread with the PDF. Only from 4/2007 to 10/31/2008. I'm in that range (barely, build date of 4/11/07), can't tell if you are or not.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=28

Last edited by CantComplain; 06-04-2017 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: link to recall thread
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 06:16 AM   #8
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Wow!!!! I'll have to call today. That would be AMAZING. Thanks for the heads up and will report back!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Nope. Build date for me of 3/07. 😞
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
seepete753
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanzanite F80 M3

OP do you have INPA program? The new injectors will need to be coded to the car after they are installed.

Past Cars: Le Mans Blue 2010 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT // Cobb // BMW Performance Exhaust // AFE DCI Stage 2 // ER CP // Gloss Black BMW Performance Spoiler Rep // BMW Performance Black Grills // 19" Black Avant Garde m359s // TGS HPB LED Interior Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

jb, after changing the injectors and sorting it out immediately change your oil. Fuel in the oil is suspected in bearing failures.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

I don't believe I have the INPA program. Is that something I can download? I only know that I have the PROcede software......

Thanks Ozzie! Ironically, I was planning on changing the oil during all this. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm gonna get a crow foot for the O2 sensor tomorrow and get that swapped out. I need to order injectors tonight.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Just got the O2 sensor in. Should I take the car out for a ride, or how should I go about checking if the O2 sensor fixed my issue? The old one was CAKED with buildup. I don't want to ruin this new one.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just got the O2 sensor in. Should I take the car out for a ride, or how should I go about checking if the O2 sensor fixed my issue? The old one was CAKED with buildup. I don't want to ruin this new one.
OP just change the injectors. The O2 sensor isn't the root cause of your problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Ok ok.😁 Wishful thinking
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #16
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

About to purchase injectors. Is this all I need -

Injectors 937
Decoupling elements
INPA cable/software

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #17
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Injectors and elements should be here Saturday or Monday..... who knows.about inpa cable. Hoping. Y end of next week
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Injectors and elements should be here Saturday or Monday..... who knows.about inpa cable. Hoping. Y end of next week
Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #19
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks jeddo. Washer pump replaced, tested and working, brakes changed, o2 sensor in, side skirts realigned, oil getting changed today, wheels cleaned inside and out, air filters washed and oiled, and any protective panels pulled have been scrubbed and washed. 😏😏😏. Feels good to get in there and take care of a lot of little things that have been nothri g me or allow me to take care of some miscellaneous issues.

Also found some loose and missing screws so good to get those handled.

Come on injectors! Any harm in me pulling the old ones now while I wait?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #20
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

Our one 335i E92 has a build date of 3/7 too. I ended up replacing all 6 injector with index 12's. They were original index 1. The car ran great for 6 months then started acting up again. Rough running, misses etc,. My indy was afraid to touch it because they thought it was the DME.

I ended up taking it to the BMW dealership and they confirmed it was a bad MDS80 DME. Almost $3K later and with a new MDS81 DME the car has never run better. In your case hopefully it is just the injectors. The 2007's seem to be more trouble prone. The car now has 88K miles on it. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #21
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Holy shit. Sorry to hear, but if that shit happens imburning mine to the ground. 😝😝😝
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #22
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Good news, injectors have arrived. Bad news, I had to work today.

So tomorrow night I am hoping to get them installed and then I am just waiting on the coding cable.

One question I have as I looked through the DIY, it says something about if you have a piggyback system you need to put it in full bypass mode. I have a PROcede 2.5, is that a piggyback system? I have the program on my laptop for it if so and can probably find whatever it is I need to but I figured I would ask if this is technically a piggyback system.

Thanks and can't wait to have her back on the road.
Appreciate 0