THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum How long did your new car smell last?

06-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

How long did your new car smell last?

Three years new and it still smells like new. Eating, drinking and smoking not allowed in my car. I paid for it, so I make the rules.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

A clean car is timeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Three years new and it still smells like new. Eating, drinking and smoking not allowed in my car. I paid for it, so I make the rules.
I have seriously fought with my wife about not desecrating the cars.

Only bottled water is allowed.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      06-03-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Hahahaha.. On my way home after picking up my car from the dealership, I was eating a burger.

BTW, I didn't notice any new car smell in my car, nor did I smell it on the cars I test drove before ordering.. So either my sniffer isn't working or these new BMWs don't really have one.
      06-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Still smelling new, especially when it sits in the sun all day. I use a leather/trim cleaner that has a scent, similar to the new car/leather smell. It's from AutoGlym. Great stuff, keeps the leather looking new, also.

D
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Griots 3-in-1 Leather Cleaner

Unique smell & works well on leather when using a brush to work it in.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      06-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Had that new car smell until I lit a smoke on the drive home from the dealer. It's my car, I'll do what I want.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

I consider that RAPE!

Poor Car - Kiss your resale value goodbye!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Had that new car smell until I lit a smoke on the drive home from the dealer. It's my car, I'll do what I want.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post

It's called cleaning the car, and cleaning it often. You'd never have known I smoked in it when it's time to resale.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

i actually get a weird oil like smell since installing the carbon fiber interior trim from an m2. it only happens after the car has been sitting in the sun all day.

Quote:

ive smoked in my car a few times. the smell is gone within hours. im not a regular smoker either so i would definitely notice the smell if it was there.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
This is me too. No food allowed. Almost a year and a half later and my car still looks and smells new.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Talking

You smokers that think the smell goes away, try asking a non smoker to smell your car after 5 minutes in the SUN.

You are nuts to think otherwise, however it is a typical thing to hear a smoker say. Go figure.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #12
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

If you say so

Quote:
It's called cleaning the car, and cleaning it often. You'd never have known I smoked in it when it's time to resale.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #13
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

1 month now gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
You smokers that think the smell goes away, try asking a non smoker to smell your car after 5 minutes in complete SUN.

You are nuts to think otherwise, however it is a typical thing to hear a smoker say such a thing. Go figure.
And non-smokers swear they can smell it, even when they can't. Go figure. You're probably thinking of people who leave their ashtray full and never clean the car. If you never leave butts in the car and clean it regularly it's not really as issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Non-smokers can smell better than smokers

Quote:
Quote:
You smokers that think the smell goes away, try asking a non smoker to smell your car after 5 minutes in complete SUN.

You are nuts to think otherwise, however it is a typical thing to hear a smoker say such a thing. Go figure.
And non-smokers swear they can smell it, even when they can't. Go figure. You're probably thinking of people who leave their ashtray full and never clean the car. If you never leave butts in the car and clean it regularly it's not really as issue.
Nope I can tell if you get anywhere near the car. Like if a mechanic smokes in the shop I can smell it in my car every time
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

This, I bought a used car once, a rare find dream car of mine. I could smell it was owned by a smoker, but thought I could get rid of it. Had to sell it as everything I tried just didn't shift it.

I could get rid for a short while, but standing in the sun and back it came.

Never again will I buy a smokers car. Smells the total opposite of new car smell.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      06-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
If your interior was 100% non-absorbent, you might have a chance of knocking down that smell with sufficient cleaning. You shampoo the carpets that often? Scrub the headliner? You also reintroduce it every time you get back in the car because that smell is in your clothes and hair, and every time you exhale. Some of us even have to take a step or two back when conversing with a smoker. Smokers might find this extreme, but they do become "nose blind" from chronic exposure.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #18
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nope I can tell if you get anywhere near the car. Like if a mechanic smokes in the shop I can smell it in my car every time
You seem like the kind of person who fake coughs around people smoking in public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
This, I bought a used car once, a rare find dream car of mine. I could smell it was owned by a smoker, but thought I could get rid of it. Had to sell it as everything I tried just didn't shift it.

I could get rid for a short while, but standing in the sun and back it came.

Never again will I buy a smokers car. Smells the total opposite of new car smell.
See, that's gross, but you get that when someone pretty much chain smokes in their car and leaves ashes everywhere and never cleans it.

I really don't smoke in my car guys, calm down. Only do it on long road trips (like the 3 hour drive from the dealer) and occasionally sitting in a parking lot with the windows down waiting. There's a world of difference between that and those who habitually smoke in their cars. Trust me, when I go to sell my car no one will know I smoked in it. It's worked the last three cars I've sold, and it'll work again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
If your interior was 100% non-absorbent, you might have a chance of knocking down that smell with sufficient cleaning. You shampoo the carpets that often? Scrub the headliner? You also reintroduce it every time you get back in the car because that smell is in your clothes and hair, and every time you exhale. Some of us even have to take a step or two back when conversing with a smoker. Smokers might find this extreme, but they do become "nose blind" from chronic exposure.
Some people are way too sensitive, too.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
You seem like the kind of person who fake coughs around people smoking in public.

See, that's gross, but you get that when someone pretty much chain smokes in their car and leaves ashes everywhere and never cleans it.

I really don't smoke in my car guys, calm down. Only do it on long road trips (like the 3 hour drive from the dealer) and occasionally sitting in a parking lot with the windows down waiting. There's a world of difference between that and those who habitually smoke in their cars. Trust me, when I go to sell my car no one will know I smoked in it. It's worked the last three cars I've sold, and it'll work again.

Some people are way too sensitive, too.
Yes, I've met some about whom I thought that.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #20
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Yes, I've met some about whom I thought that.
I totally understand the issue with smoking in cars, as I've been in some nasty cars before. I'm just saying lumping all cars into the same boat isn't reflective of the reality.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #21
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

I am pretty strict also only bottled water really goes in the car. I forget when I my new car smell faded but when people sit in it they are like wow this still looks and smells new!

I actually think it is a function of the leather cleaner and conditioner. The Zaino stuff smells amazing. With oyster seats I clean them regularly to keep them looking good.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      06-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #22
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Talking You know nothing about me...

I am the kind of person who stays away from people who smoke anywhere.

Next /

Quote:
Appreciate 0