BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Cquartz UK is terrible

05-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Cquartz UK is terrible

Not happy at all with this coating. The paint looks dull after a wash and it doesn't 'keep it clean' longer or dirt washes off easier etc. as claimed. The difference between my front end which is covered in Xpel and actually looks glossy compared to the middle and rear panels of my car that just have the Cquartz is night and day.

Thought I would share and help anyone out there deciding between coatings. If it's cquartz vs. opti coat, nanolex etc. Get the other one.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Not happy at all with this coating. The paint looks dull after a wash and it doesn't 'keep it clean' longer or dirt washes off easier etc. as claimed. The difference between my front end which is covered in Xpel and actually looks glossy compared to the middle and rear panels of my car that just have the Cquartz is night and day.

Thought I would share and help anyone out there deciding between coatings. If it's cquartz vs. opti coat, nanolex etc. Get the other one.
That's interesting...my previous car was CQuartz coated and seemed to be great even after 3 years. Just to confirm, which version of Cquartz did you get on your car? There are consumer versions, as well as versions which is only supposed to be available to pro detailers. It may have changed since then, but at the time I had it done the "pro" version was Cquartz Finest
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
That's interesting...my previous car was CQuartz coated and seemed to be great even after 3 years. Just to confirm, which version of Cquartz did you get on your car? There are consumer versions, as well as versions which is only supposed to be available to pro detailers. It may have changed since then, but at the time I had it done the "pro" version was Cquartz Finest
Yeah I would imagine finest is better. I had cquartz UK put on as recommended by installer. He said it was better for 'cold weather climates'... i imagine it was because it was an off the shelf coating he could get instead of 'Finest' which he wasnt authorized to get or install...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Yeah I would imagine finest is better. I had cquartz UK put on as recommended by installer. He said it was better for 'cold weather climates'... i imagine it was because it was an off the shelf coating he could get instead of 'Finest' which he wasnt authorized to get or install...
Developed for use when outdoor temp is as low as 40F, I have used this coating on my cars several times and had none of the problems you describe. Most likely user error.
      05-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I applied it to my Xpel Ultimate, and the bare painted sections of my car. Works great for me. I finished it off with Reload.

Wasn't terribly hard to apply in a garage, just time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
Kid Eh
Grand Theft Votto
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Maybe the guy applying it was terrible and not the product.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
Maybe the guy applying it was terrible and not the product.
It's so simple to apply though. I totally get how xpel ultimate could be installed poorly but a coating?? How are you in this business if you suck at applying a coating.

I should try reload.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Maybe his product deteriorated? I know that once open it should be used within a certain period of time. If he coat cars frequently enough then that shouldn't be the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #9
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

What was the environment like? Was it cold when he applied it or hot and humid? As stated, UK was meant to be used in colder climates to help with the flashing. Under normal circumstances, weather that is, Classic would be a better alternative to UK.
I would make sure that all the prep was done properly, i.e. Polishing and complete wipe down with some type of oil remover prior to laying the coating down.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
What was the environment like? Was it cold when he applied it or hot and humid? As stated, UK was meant to be used in colder climates to help with the flashing. Under normal circumstances, weather that is, Classic would be a better alternative to UK.
I would make sure that all the prep was done properly, i.e. Polishing and complete wipe down with some type of oil remover prior to laying the coating down.

Bruce
Well it was cold outside as he did it in the winter but his shop is temp controlled etc. so would have been 20, 21 degrees celsius. room temperature. and the car would have climatized as well as it was brought in a day early and left a day to sit. I doubt he did a proper job of prepping the car. Actually I'm certain they didnt. Not the most meticulous shop but it's all I really got to choose from. the other shop which would be meticulous wanted 3 times the price. literally three times. Both shops authorized xpel dealers. The only reason I went with these guys is they do all the work for the BMW dealership and they were the ones paying for the Xpel...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #11
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

You get what you pay for! CQuartz is a fantastic product so please do not badmouth a product when the installer did a halfarsed job and didn't follow the manufacturers recommendations for prep work! It's actually more important to find the right detailer than it is product!
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #12
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I had my car with GTechniq EXO. very happy with it.
      09-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
The installer prep is the critical part for any paint or film treatment.
https://www.kmgdetailing.com/single-...02/2017-BMW-M2
Appreciate 0