THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Thinkware F770 Install Question.

05-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
DJEwen
Oil Prostitute
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M240i AW 6MT Coral 405Ms

Thinkware F770 Install Question.

Hello there.

Taking delivery of my M240I circa end of June early July and one of my first planned mods is installing the Thinkware F770 front/rear dash cam.

I came across this installation guide on youtube from Boosted Autos, unsure if he's on the forum. The guide itself is really well detailed and a good installation to which I was going to follow to the letter up until the section where he wires in the (yellow) direct feed to the battery, at this point in the video (30.27) the OP seems to skip over exactly what he did and the video is cut to the next step.

Has anyone else installed following this guide or can anyone shed any further light on this step? I did ask the OP the question on YT but had no response.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by DJEwen; 05-13-2017 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: Added "point in video" time
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

I don't know about this dashcam specifically, but it looks like he is making two connections to the power. One is wired directly to the battery so it's powered all the time, and the other is wired to a fuse tap so it only gets power when the car is on. The always-on power is probably what the camera uses for parking-surveillance mode so that it still works after the car is turned off. For the direct connection to the battery, he probably loosens the nut and just pinches the wire in there, but you definitely should get some more opinions before doing it that way. It's hard to imagine that flimsy wire was designed to connect directly to the battery, and I've never heard of anyone wiring an accessory directly to the terminal like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 03:02 AM   #3
DJEwen
Oil Prostitute
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I don't know about this dashcam specifically, but it looks like he is making two connections to the power. One is wired directly to the battery so it's powered all the time, and the other is wired to a fuse tap so it only gets power when the car is on. The always-on power is probably what the camera uses for parking-surveillance mode so that it still works after the car is turned off. For the direct connection to the battery, he probably loosens the nut and just pinches the wire in there, but you definitely should get some more opinions before doing it that way. It's hard to imagine that flimsy wire was designed to connect directly to the battery, and I've never heard of anyone wiring an accessory directly to the terminal like that.
I I Captain

Yeah that's about right. Although he doesn't show in the video you can see at 29:21 that he has wired in an inline fuse into the yellow "flying lead" and mentions the connector.

I actually found his original post in the M2 forum HERE

I guess there is no one around yet who has experience of wiring into the "little connector" he mentions?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 04:34 AM   #4
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
I have the F770 in my 240 and in my x1. Yellow goes to a 5amp fuse that shuts off when the car turns off. This allows the camera to detect when the car is parked so it can activate parking mode. Red goes to battery, black is ground. The wiring kit for the f770 form thinkware has each wire labeled. They are small wires, probably 22gauge since I used 16 to connect to the fuse tap. The wiring kit from thinkware doesn't reach back to the trunk for the battery and fuse box so you will need some extra wire to extend them. Ran the wire down the passenger side.

**Edit**

Oh and the yellow wire comes with a 5 amp fuse inline already with the thinkware kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #5
DJEwen
Oil Prostitute
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
I have the F770 in my 240 and in my x1. Yellow goes to a 5amp fuse that shuts off when the car turns off. This allows the camera to detect when the car is parked so it can activate parking mode. Red goes to battery, black is ground. The wiring kit for the f770 form thinkware has each wire labeled. They are small wires, probably 22gauge since I used 16 to connect to the fuse tap. The wiring kit from thinkware doesn't reach back to the trunk for the battery and fuse box so you will need some extra wire to extend them. Ran the wire down the passenger side.

**Edit**

Oh and the yellow wire comes with a 5 amp fuse inline already with the thinkware kit.
Hi Joe,

Did you install this yourself? What is the make up of the yellow permanent live connection to the battery? Cheers.
Appreciate 0