E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW Performance Exhaust or Remus Sport Quad Exhaust?

05-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #1
Typhoon707
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 328i Msport

Garage List
Exclamation BMW Performance Exhaust or Remus Sport Quad Exhaust?

Hi everyone,
I want to mod the exhaust of my E92 328i Msport (I mention the Msport cause of the rear bumper/diffuser), but I cannot decide between the BMW performance exhaust or the Remus Sport Quad Exhaust.

Part of me wants to go all OEM with the performance intake (don't have it yet) and performance exhaust, but the appeal of the quad exhaust is....very great.

The forums seem to love the PE, but the little comments on the Remus have also been positive.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 01:56 AM   #2
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

PE exhaust. best sound ever
      05-09-2017, 05:24 AM   #3
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon707 View Post
Hi everyone,
I want to mod the exhaust of my E92 328i Msport (I mention the Msport cause of the rear bumper/diffuser), but I cannot decide between the BMW performance exhaust or the Remus Sport Quad Exhaust.

Part of me wants to go all OEM with the performance intake (don't have it yet) and performance exhaust, but the appeal of the quad exhaust is....very great.

The forums seem to love the PE, but the little comments on the Remus have also been positive.

Any suggestions?
I like my quads
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

I vote PE for the simple fact of it being 'plug and play'. The quad exhaust will require a bunch of extra work to get it on your car.
      05-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I vote PE for the simple fact of it being 'plug and play'. The quad exhaust will require a bunch of extra work to get it on your car.
I love my remus quads.

Fravel: What extra work lol? The remus quad is a BOLT ON axle back setup. It mounts using OEM mounting points and everything you need is in the package (hangers for the right quad that bolts on existing points).

The only "work" you need is to cut out the right side of the bumper/diffuser. Even then the cut out stencil is included and if you're feeling froggy, you can just buy a quad diffuser.

EDIT: Here is my car below

Last edited by bsmoov; 05-09-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
      05-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
I love my remus quads.

Fravel: What extra work lol? The remus quad is a BOLT ON axle back setup. It mounts using OEM mounting points and everything you need is in the package (hangers for the right quad that bolts on existing points).

The only "work" you need is to cut out the right side of the bumper/diffuser. Even then the cut out stencil is included and if you're feeling froggy, you can just buy a quad diffuser.
Interesting... I was under the impression that it required the box in the trunk to be moved a la other dual outlet mods. My bad!
      05-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interesting... I was under the impression that it required the box in the trunk to be moved a la other dual outlet mods. My bad!
The trunk box and a few other things only need to be moved if you're doing a fully custom quad exhaust (NON REMUS).

The remus quad is bolt on and it's basically a single muffler with dual pipes with dual tips on each pipe making it quads. T
Appreciate 2
fravel1644.50
      05-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
How does the Remus Sport Quads sound compared to the PE?

And performance wise, would the quad hinder performance? I don't care much for performance increases (although if mileage increases, that'd be a bonus), but I certainly do not want to do a mod that would hinder performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How does the Remus Sport Quads sound compared to the PE?

And performance wise, would the quad hinder performance? I don't care much for performance increases (although if mileage increases, that'd be a bonus), but I certainly do not want to do a mod that would hinder performance.
I never had a PE exhaust.

My remus sounds nice. Not loud, no drone. I would say barely noticeable until you WOT. I never dyno'ed so not sure of gains. It doesn't hinder performance.

On the m0db@rgains website it says it's dyno proved and has HP gains, not sure about the validity of those claims, but for me it looks good, I have symmetry on my rear end, and it sounds nice.

http://www.**********s.com/remus-spo...ad-exhaust.htm
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #10
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're not wrong, Boss. That is my setup.
I have the shallow bin, evap canister moved, and custom mids.
Definitely costly with the fabrication portion, along with the M-Sport bumper (And I had the dual outlets cut to accommodate the quad tips.)

Edit: This was a couple months ago (Must've been the first week I had em installed.) They were not broken in yet.
I get a good little 'backfire/pop' if I shift at a certain point (not at redline lol). They may have grown a little louder by now, I will try to get a few passes on video.

Last edited by Noir; 05-09-2017 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
fravel1644.50
      05-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #11
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
I never had a PE exhaust.

My remus sounds nice. Not loud, no drone. I would say barely noticeable until you WOT. I never dyno'ed so not sure of gains. It doesn't hinder performance.

On the m0db@rgains website it says it's dyno proved and has HP gains, not sure about the validity of those claims, but for me it looks good, I have symmetry on my rear end, and it sounds nice.

http://www.**********s.com/remus-spo...ad-exhaust.htm
I just wish there was some way to hear a comparison between the two. If only the PE was a quad or a dual...I just love symmetry.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      05-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #12
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If only the PE was a quad or a dual...I just love symmetry.
That was my mindset when I got it all together!
Do it!
You could even reference the 328i conversion thread created by GTRZilla.
Essentially made a PE with the 335i mufflers.
You wont regret it!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #13
GTRZilla
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Do it!
You wont regret it!
Thanks Noir 😄
Noir883.00
      05-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do it!
You wont regret it!
That sounds amazing except...for the 335 one on a 328 would mean I would have to modify that undercarriage thing on the right side...

How much did that cost you guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRZilla View Post
Thanks Noir ��
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds amazing except...for the 335 one on a 328 would mean I would have to modify that undercarriage thing on the right side...

How much did that cost you guys?
My setup is very similar to GTRzilla's. Mine has a mini cat welded to the mids on all four corners, so its not as loud as GTR's. Will let it be loud in Texas, just not in Virginia..

It really isn't all that intensive on the underside of things. Just need a shallow bin (pretty sure I got mine from ECS for like $80-90...), I am unsure whether it requires a 335i heat shield or just a readjustment of the current one, and moving the evap canister. Just be very wary of the hoses on the canister, they are very touchy and because one of them got slightly undone (literally not noticeable while looking at it) while I was driving, my SES light came on. My mufflers from Remus were like $13-1400 (IIRC), the minicat was like $60-80, the fabrication and labor hours is what cost the most with this job, like 1200 or something like that. But take my cost with a grain of salt, GTR got some 335i mufflers for a fraction of what my Remus' cost, and his ride still sounds meaner than mine. (note that I also have AAs headers that have been on the car for a little over a year prior to the installation of the rest of the system along with an m sport bumper with the cutouts done in house.)

I am sure you can snag a salvaged 335i muffler set & its heat shield (if need be) for cheap. I haven't checked, but there is bound to be a person in the n54 classifieds trying to sell their stock mufflers.

Edit: My bad if you were only asking about the underside modifications! That piece at the bottom off other side is literally just the trunk storage bin that needs to be swapped, bolded the cost of that above and where to snag it. Part number is as follows:

ES#: 128869
Mfg#: 51717123486

Last edited by Noir; 05-10-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Any suggestions?
my suggestion is put this money toward exhaust headers and an ECU tune instead.

then replace your stock muffler with something high flow like borla.

if you give no shits and dont care about smell and want even more sound/performance, delete your secondary cats as well.

but the headers will give you exponentially better sound and performance for similar money.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #17
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post

if you give no shits and dont care about smell and want even more sound/performance, delete your secondary cats as well.

but the headers will give you exponentially better sound and performance for similar money.
Do a full system and tune!
Let me play devils advocate
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #18
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Would those mods you mentioned decrease engine reliability and lifespan?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My setup is very similar to GTRzilla's. Mine has a mini cat welded to the mids on all four corners, so its not as loud as GTR's. Will let it be loud in Texas, just not in Virginia..

It really isn't all that intensive on the underside of things. Just need a shallow bin (pretty sure I got mine from ECS for like $80-90...), I am unsure whether it requires a 335i heat shield or just a readjustment of the current one, and moving the evap canister. Just be very wary of the hoses on the canister, they are very touchy and because one of them got slightly undone (literally not noticeable while looking at it) while I was driving, my SES light came on. My mufflers from Remus were like $13-1400 (IIRC), the minicat was like $60-80, the fabrication and labor hours is what cost the most with this job, like 1200 or something like that. But take my cost with a grain of salt, GTR got some 335i mufflers for a fraction of what my Remus' cost, and his ride still sounds meaner than mine. (note that I also have AAs headers that have been on the car for a little over a year prior to the installation of the rest of the system along with an m sport bumper with the cutouts done in house.)

I am sure you can snag a salvaged 335i muffler set & its heat shield (if need be) for cheap. I haven't checked, but there is bound to be a person in the n54 classifieds trying to sell their stock mufflers.

Edit: My bad if you were only asking about the underside modifications! That piece at the bottom off other side is literally just the trunk storage bin that needs to be swapped, bolded the cost of that above and where to snag it. Part number is as follows:

ES#: 128869
Mfg#: 51717123486
Thanks for this extremely detailed answer...
So is that undercarriage thing simply bolted on and I could just replace it with the one for the 335?

Also, if I were to get the PE for the 335....is it a lot of work? (I have absolutely no mechanical or welding skills, and will be having a shop do all of this)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Would those mods you mentioned decrease engine reliability and lifespan?
without a tune? probably.

but with a good ECU tune, the motor should last longer if anything. removing primary cats releases stress from your motor.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #21
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this extremely detailed answer...
So is that undercarriage thing simply bolted on and I could just replace it with the one for the 335?

Also, if I were to get the PE for the 335....is it a lot of work? (I have absolutely no mechanical or welding skills, and will be having a shop do all of this)
I'm sorry I deviated from the real question...
Once you open your trunk, pull the latch closest to the trunk opening, and viola, the bin in question! I cant recall if the bolts that hold it down are visible or underneath the carpet.
@GTRzilla pls confirm, I think the in house PE mods entails cutting open the mufflern unpacking all the insulation, and welding the cutout back on. It looks relatively easy, but I have not welded since high schooln heh..
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #22
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
without a tune? probably.

but with a good ECU tune, the motor should last longer if anything. removing primary cats releases stress from your motor.
The ECU tune would actually improve engine lifespan? now I'm interested...

I have an N51 engine btw (I failed to mention it earlier), I don't think I want to delete any cats...
Appreciate 0