THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Considering a F23 M240 x-drive vert - few questions

03-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Considering a F23 M240 x-drive vert - few questions

I am owning a 2015 M235 xDrive coupe and I am very happy with it.

I am playing with the thought to get the M240 xDrive Vert. Forget about financial considerations for a moment, i.e. I am fully aware that I would walk away with a financial loss, if switching now. This will be my DD and I live in the midwest, i.e. it will be driven in winter exposed to all elements (garage parking though).

Current F23 xDrive owners (both 228/230 or 235/240):
- How do you like it as a DD, especially Fall/Winter in the winter states?
- Anything you dislike about it?
- Any issues with it?
- Is there a hardtop available for winter months?
- Do you drive it through a soft cloth car wash or never?
- Would you buy it again?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Last edited by German1967; 03-31-2017 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
You'll find several 2 Series vert drivers DD their car year-round without issue. I am one of them. I love it, it's the best car I've ever owned. It's as quiet or more quiet than my MINI Cooper S Hardtop was. Mine is RWD, so like many I run "winter" tires and wheels 5 months a year. I am not aware of any hardtops for it - with the well insulated soft top, it's not really needed. Yes, I'd buy again in a heartbeat. If you want a convertible it's a great way to go. All that said, there are days when I'd like to have an M4 vert (who wouldn't want an M) but unless BMW drops the hardtop convertible on the next gen. 4 Series and moves to a soft top, I wouldn't be interested.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear

Last edited by p912guy; 03-31-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I came from a 235 coupe RWD and now have an xDrive vert Dinan Stage 2. First car I've ever owned that I've wanted to keep more than a year, and I could actually see myself owning long-term.

To make it a good DD I went down to 17" wheels with beefier rubber for roads in my area. Garage at home and work. My only hesitation to drive in winter would be if no garage lots of snow piling up and getting heavy on roof would scare me.

I never put my car through a car wash either hand wash at home or at car wash (rarely).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

I've DD convertibles ever since I started driving and there aren't many downsides during the winter months. A hard top is unnecessary and probably doesn't exist. You should never take a cloth top through a car wash, you never know what kind of grease will get smeared into the cloth from the car before you.

I doubt you'll be disappointed, the only convertible I've ever driven that was better than the 235 was my 135.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
silvercas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: One

I dont own a 235/240 convertible. Was in the market for one coming out of a 335 convertible. I like the hard top convertibles, with that said, the convertible is fine all year round. One items that I suggest is, SNOW tires in the winter. Makes the car handle significantly better. I would have another convertible my DD in all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I moved from a 330d xDrive touring to an RWD M235i last year and this winter we took it down twice to the Swiss Alps. In the UK you can't get an xDrive M240i because of LHD. Like you I garage it at night, which I think makes a big difference.

The soft top is fine in cold weather. Modern 5 layer design makes it almost as insulated as a metal top. Real upside is that it takes up much less boot space than a metal top would. We've fitted three suitcases and a batch of hiking stuff and other bits in the boot with the roof down (although you might have to buy some new cases with the right dimensions).

Although RWD, we did fine in Alpine snow and slush on Pirelli Winter S3 tyres. It wasn't as good as xDrive, but we didn't have to resort to using the fast-fit Spyder Alpine Sport chains. However, if the snow had been deep, or inclines steeper, we probably would have.

xDrive would have meant that we could tackle any but the most impossible snow.

I've never put it through a carwash - in theory it should be OK but I prefer to handwash. I've found that the fabric cleans up fine - where I live we have seagulls whose output could be classed as a biological weapon.

Finally, I'm really glad that I went for a convertible. I have the top down much more often than I imagined. It transforms otherwise mundane journeys.
      03-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449
I moved from a 330d xDrive touring to an RWD M235i last year and this winter we took it down twice to the Swiss Alps. In the UK you can't get an xDrive M240i because of LHD. Like you I garage it at night, which I think makes a big difference.

The soft top is fine in cold weather. Modern 5 layer design makes it almost as insulated as a metal top. Real upside is that it takes up much less boot space than a metal top would. We've fitted three suitcases and a batch of hiking stuff and other bits in the boot with the roof down (although you might have to buy some new cases with the right dimensions).

Although RWD, we did fine in Alpine snow and slush on Pirelli Winter S3 tyres. It wasn't as good as xDrive, but we didn't have to resort to using the fast-fit Spyder Alpine Sport chains. However, if the snow had been deep, or inclines steeper, we probably would have.

xDrive would have meant that we could tackle any but the most impossible snow.

I've never put it through a carwash - in theory it should be OK but I prefer to handwash. I've found that the fabric cleans up fine - where I live we have seagulls whose output could be classed as a biological weapon.

Finally, I'm really glad that I went for a convertible. I have the top down much more often than I imagined. It transforms otherwise mundane journeys.
One thing I would add is that the ONLY time you can really get in trouble with xDrive and studless ice and snow tires is when the snow is so deep that ground clearance is an issue before everything is plowed. If you're a physician or something and absolutely have to get to the hospital at 2am weather be damned, I wouldn't have a 2-series as your only car. That said if you're like basically everyone else and can use some common sense and VPN when it's really nasty out you'll be totally fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Thanks to you all for the input. The Cabrio would be garaged and there is my wife's X3 as a winter emergency car...
I am running 17s WS80 on the Coupe in the winter months and would continue running winters tires.
I will definitely get the Vert. I have not decided, if I should get it now, i.e. trading in my M235 Coupe, or wait until the next generation comes out (waiting for 2020 I guess).
In any case, thanks for your perspectives.
      04-02-2017, 04:09 AM   #9
Bill Kayen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 230ix cabrio, 2021 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
Thanks to you all for the input. The Cabrio would be garaged and there is my wife's X3 as a winter emergency car...
I am running 17s WS80 on the Coupe in the winter months and would continue running winters tires.
I will definitely get the Vert. I have not decided, if I should get it now, i.e. trading in my M235 Coupe, or wait until the next generation comes out (waiting for 2020 I guess).
Life's too short to wait for something you want and deserve. Go for it now and get another one in 2020. You'll be glad you did.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #10
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post

I've owned/driven ragtops (Camaros, firebirds, BMW Z4 & 1-series) since the early '90's, but until the advent of the 2er xDrive ragtop, I always paired my verts with an AWD SUV for the winters.
When I bought the 2er xDrive ragtop over 2 years ago, I ditched the SUV and the 2er xDrive ragtop became my only all year round DD. It handles foul weather and road conditions as well as any SUV I've owned.
Soft-tops are pretty sturdy these days and well insulated, so there's no reason to treat the car (washes, etc) and differently than you would a coupe.
Would I buy again? - No doubt.