BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

03-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Sun Visor Airbag Sticker Removal

I did a search and saw some older threads, but thought it would be good to make a fresh one since the cars are getting older day by day, and certain climates might affect this DIY.

To some owners the airbag sticker might not be noticeable. I didn't even really pay any attention to it until I came across an old thread. Once the thought of removing them entered my mind, I wanted to do it.

Materials Needed:
  1. 1-2 Microfiber cloths
  2. 1 abrasive shop rag
  3. 70-90% Rubbing Alcohol
  4. Any object that weighs about 2-5lbs to keep pressure on the visor
  5. Paper Towels
  6. Screwdriver

Step 1) Remove the sun visors from the car. I cannot imagine doing this any other way. Only one connector per side needs to be unplugged after the two screws are taken out.

Step 2) Fold 1 paper towel to roughly the size of the sticker. Pour the alcohol onto the paper towel. Place 2-5lb object on top, let it sit for 10-12 minutes.

Step 3) Remove the paper towel and grab the abrasive shop rag. VIGOROUSLY rub the sticker until the adhesive/vinyl starts to wear away. You need to apply A LOT of pressure. Use different parts of the rag as the sticker will adhere as it comes off.

Step 4) Once the majority of the sticker is gone, pour some alcohol directly onto the visor. Rub the rest away with the microfiber.

That's really all that you have to do.

The reason I made this thread was because some of the others advised to use GooGone. I tried this on another car first, and it smells pretty bad and seems to rub the adhesive further into the visor. Another said to use warm water....I don't know how that would work. You need something to loosen up the material applied to the visor.

This method does not leave any smell. You can reinstall them right after you wipe the visor clean.

The hairdryer method also did not produce good results.

My car is an 08, so the sticker has been there for almost 10 years now. It was a Royal PITA to remove but I'm happy I did.

It's possible that when the cars were new the stickers came off easier. Hard to know for sure.

*Do this at your own risk. Results may vary.

*Under a LED flashlight you can see a minor outline of where the warning sticker use to be. It is not seen under normal conditions by the human eye.

Happy to answer any questions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
TWiTCHY375.50
Theodore668.50
roastbeef11584.50
      03-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Great work!

The only disappointing thing is that these are vinyl. My 2008's had cloth like the headliner. So much nicer. ECS still sells the cloth covered units without the label. Another alternative for those out there looking to remove that hideous yellow label.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...167837751~geb/
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Great work!

The only disappointing thing is that these are vinyl. My 2008's had cloth like the headliner. So much nicer. ECS still sells the cloth covered units without the label. Another alternative for those out there looking to remove that hideous yellow label.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...167837751~geb/
Thank you!

Good results for 30 minutes of your time and $3 worth of rubbing alcohol
Appreciate 0