BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

03-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Replacing Front Center Jack Fixture

Has anyone ever replaced the front center jack fixture (central jacking point)? Mine got completely broken off by some road debris. I found the part (31102283434), but I've seen before that it was held in by 2 rivets (officially referred to as "blind rivets" - part # 07119903402) so I'm wondering if I need a rivet gun to install it, or how to even go about installing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

I believe it attaches to the aluminum undertray which is held on to the underbody with some big bolts, one of which goes through the center of the jack point. I doubt the rivets serve a structural purpose other than to keep it in place while the load is transfered through the tray to the subframe beneath (or above, technically). Might be easier to use bolt/nut combo than buy a riveting system for a single use. If a nut and driver would fit into the opening on the plastic piece, of course.

I've never released the whole undertray as you have to loosen/remove the felt in the front to get at the covered bolts.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Update: Got it installed. I didn't take any pictures, but I will explain below (and try to upload some basic demonstration pics later).

1. Get the car in the air (I was fortunate to find a friend with a lift - not sure if it's possible to do it with the jack fixture missing)

2. Go ahead and just unbolt and remove the metal tray that the jack fixture is connected to and lay it out on the ground - it makes the process so much easier.

3. Hammer/push/cut out any pieces of the old rivets remaining.

4. Use a hammer to flatten the mounting surface back out if necessary. Mine had bulged out where the rivets got pulled out.

5. Line up the new jack fixture. I put mine with the side that was "cut out" facing towards the back because it looked like it fit better that way, but it really fit both ways and in the end it doesn't sit 100% flush to anything aside from the ends where you put the rivets through.

6. Make sure you have a beefy rivet gun. Luckily my friend had a nice Matco one. But even with a good rivet gun, I would suggest putting some wood or something similar under the bottom of the handle so you can push down on it without breaking the gun; it will take A LOT of force.

7. Simply reinstall the metal plate and you're done.
Appreciate 1
Theodore668.50
      03-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

pro tip- get the aluminum skid off to work on that piece. i believe the large bolts are 16mm, sort of an uncommon size, so check to see if you have it before getting the car in the air.
      03-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #5
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Patina after 90k miles was wrong for AL, unlessits some weird alloy/ heat treat it didn't take tool marks like al either Felt way too dense I think it might be stainless

But I have no proofS I'm just a 12 year old on the internet

Last edited by Richbot; 03-26-2017 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0