XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

View Poll Results: Running Boards on the X6 35i?
I like them 10 58.82%
I don't like them 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

04-23-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
StefanB
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Opinion: Running Boards?

What do all of you think about running boards?

I should have a build number this week and this is the last thing I'm undecided on. Do they add to the design??

I'm getting a 35i in Space Gray.

Thanks!

Stefan
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
branko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d, X6 3.5d

Voted yes because I like them from far away.
From nearby they look not so nice, but then I plan to get them replaced by another model, hopefully someone will think of making real nice ones...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Voted no.I don't think they help the look.And after being in and out of a couple of X6's, I don't think they will help ingress/egress for the avg size person that much.Maybe small kids,senior citizens,etc.... Thanks. PalBay
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

Some like the looks – some think it makes the car look tough – some think it adds detail to the lower half of the car… whatever floats their boat… looks are just a matter of personal taste, so we’ll let that go to the individual.

I’m more concerned about living with the things on the car. Do they add functionality? Do they protect the bottom of the doors better against rock dings? Could that also be helped by mud-guards / mud-flaps just as well? Certainly, they are not made to be used as a real step – they’re just too small, and the car isn’t tall enough to need a step to get into.

My question is this: when you get out of the car and you swing you foot out over the running boards to reach the ground, can you easily avoid rubbing the back of your leg against the things? In Seattle, you drive in the rain a lot, and I hate running boards because the typically get the back of your lower pants leg soaked when you get out. They may look neat, but they are actually a weight-adding nuisance.

Running boards are the reason I am not driving an ‘08 ML-550. I waited for that new engine and the second generation M-Class for 2 years – then when they put it in the car, they made running boards standard on the V-8 models… it was going to cost me over a thousand dollars to NOT get them on a car… so I walked across the street and began looking at what BMW had to offer… the sales lady said, ‘have you heard of the new X6 we’re coming out with?’. That was last summer. Now I’m on the waiting list to order an Xdrive5.0i. I just hope they don’t screw with the US configuration and make the running boards mandatory on the V-8..!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

I think it may be partially an age thing. My kids like them. They are a little rice-rocket for my taste. I wouldn't mind them so much if they were plain black and didn't have those holes all over them.

Morty: I had my X5 originally without them, but when I fitted the Aero kit running boards had to be added. You are correct -- they get the backs of your pants legs dirty when you get out of the vehicle. For short people they are handy to stand on when cleaning the roof.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

X6 Running Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Some like the looks – some think it makes the car look tough – some think it adds detail to the lower half of the car… whatever floats their boat… looks are just a matter of personal taste, so we’ll let that go to the individual.

I’m more concerned about living with the things on the car. Do they add functionality? Do they protect the bottom of the doors better against rock dings? Could that also be helped by mud-guards / mud-flaps just as well? Certainly, they are not made to be used as a real step – they’re just too small, and the car isn’t tall enough to need a step to get into.

My question is this: when you get out of the car and you swing you foot out over the running boards to reach the ground, can you easily avoid rubbing the back of your leg against the things? In Seattle, you drive in the rain a lot, and I hate running boards because the typically get the back of your lower pants leg soaked when you get out. They may look neat, but they are actually a weight-adding nuisance.

Running boards are the reason I am not driving an ‘08 ML-550. I waited for that new engine and the second generation M-Class for 2 years – then when they put it in the car, they made running boards standard on the V-8 models… it was going to cost me over a thousand dollars to NOT get them on a car… so I walked across the street and began looking at what BMW had to offer… the sales lady said, ‘have you heard of the new X6 we’re coming out with?’. That was last summer. Now I’m on the waiting list to order an Xdrive5.0i. I just hope they don’t screw with the US configuration and make the running boards mandatory on the V-8..!!!
Morty, I paid attention to hitting the running boards w/ the back of my leg.I hate that to.Unfortunately,I did hit my legs on both back and front seats on X6's w/ running boards.I'm 5'10" and not to spastic!!!???? The SUV ride height just sets up the perfect "rear leg swipe".The back was worst than the front.My overall biggest complaint w/ the X6,after kicking the tires on several cars now,is the exit and somewhat difficult, entry to the back seat.I don't understand why BMW could not make the rear door swing open wider???? That simple fix would solve many of the rear seat issues IMO.I'm not an engineer,maybe there is a design reason,not real sure.Hope that helps! PalBay

Last edited by Palbay; 04-23-2008 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: add word
Appreciate 0