E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Cracked Trim, Fix Before Wrapping?

03-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
FuglyMonkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328I

Cracked Trim, Fix Before Wrapping?

Hello, I am preparing to wrap my interior trim with Avery brushed steel. My trim has cracks in them now. Do I need to repair them first before I wrap them so the cracks will not show through? Or can I just wrap it with out any worries. Please let me know.

Thank you,
Liem
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuglyMonkie View Post
Hello, I am preparing to wrap my interior trim with Avery brushed steel. My trim has cracks in them now. Do I need to repair them first before I wrap them so the cracks will not show through? Or can I just wrap it with out any worries. Please let me know.

Thank you,
Liem

From what I have seen if the cracks are big enough (even hairline ones) it will be visible under vinyl wraps.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
FuglyMonkie
United_States
Rep

Yea that is what I figured. I have tried looking for a while on how to repair cracked interior trim. But I usually come up with how to remove.. how to plastic weld.. how to wrap.etc. Can someone please help point me in the right directions. Would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuglyMonkie View Post
Yea that is what I figured. I have tried looking for a while on how to repair cracked interior trim. But I usually come up with how to remove.. how to plastic weld.. how to wrap.etc. Can someone please help point me in the right directions. Would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Post a pic. Maybe get some type of epoxy sealent to fill in the crack, smooth it out then wrap on top
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
FuglyMonkie
United_States
Rep

My Brother told me I will need to put a slight V cut where the crack is before I apply the epoxy. This should be interesting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:36 AM   #6
MsportFury
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Comp & E92 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Post a pic. Maybe get some type of epoxy sealent to fill in the crack, smooth it out then wrap on top
+1

Fill the crack with some JB weld, give it 24 hours to dry and then sand it down to conform with the rest of the trim piece before wrapping, job done.
      03-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #7
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

If the crack catches your nail when you go over it, it will show. If not, it probably won't.

I would get a small section of vinyl and just place it over the crack, leaving like 2" per side. You'll be able to tell if the crack comes through.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:17 AM   #8
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

I have dealt with many types of 3M vinyl material. And I'll share one of my thoughts.

I had brushed aluminum trim. With many dents and scratches.

If you use gloss black metallic vinyl from 3M it's very thin and will show imperfections over your existing trim.

Using gloss black it's a little thicker and coverage is better than gloss black metallic.

Using brushed black aluminum or any brushed type coverage is excellent against dents and scratches.

Carbon fiber vinyl is a bit more thicker than brushed and you won't even tell if you had scratches or dents.
Appreciate 1
triax37130.00