F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Oyster leather bolsters problem.
proTUNING Freaks

03-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Anyone have wear on the bolsters on their dakota leather seats beside the stitching? I know this is where they will wear first and oyster is probably the hardest colour to keep looking good but the car is only about 15 months old with 13K on it. I clean the seats carefully about every 3 months or so with lexol, any marks clean up well and the seats look good afterwards but the oyster colour is starting to come off the leather on the drivers side bolster where the stitching runs down, this is on the upright part of the seat not where you sit. Anyone had similar issues and will they entertain this under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Anyone have wear on the bolsters on their dakota leather seats beside the stitching? I know this is where they will wear first and oyster is probably the hardest colour to keep looking good but the car is only about 15 months old with 13K on it. I clean the seats carefully about every 3 months or so with lexol, any marks clean up well and the seats look good afterwards but the oyster colour is starting to come off the leather on the drivers side bolster where the stitching runs down, this is on the upright part of the seat not where you sit. Anyone had similar issues and will they entertain this under warranty?
I don't know the answer to the warranty qu. Do you have photos?

You can buy a oyster leather touch up pen though as a back up plan.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
I had a similar problem on an E92 325i a few years ago, and at around the same age as yours is now.
I had only noticed the bolster, but when I asked the dealership to have a look at it, they noticed wear on the seat as well.
Both parts replaced under warranty with no trouble at all.
Good luck.
      03-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
My car is 30 months old with 34k miles on the clock and the Oyster leather seats don't have the problem you describe. 15 months and 13k miles is nothing and I'd say it's at least worth a conversation with your dealer as based on my experience your car has a problem it ought not to have.

All mine get by way of cleaning is regular rubs with Dr Leather wipes and to be honest I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it's been to keep them looking good. I was worried they'd get dirty quite quickly and show every mark but I'm actually very happy with the way they've coped with daily use and, depending on exterior colour, I'd certainly consider the Oyster interior again.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Yes in my beige upholstery- seat covers replaced under warranty - twice!
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

I got the dealer to look at mine. They said they would replace it under warranty, but I was also tipped off by someone else in the dealership that the new leather often doesn't match. I'll probably progress with it at some stage though.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Is the leather kind of being chipped away on the bolsters?

Mine had this problem but the dealer recovered under warranty . If it"s the same as mine the it maybe being caused if you are brushing against the bolsters when you're getting in and out.

I'm quite careful now and they still look fine a couple of years down the track. I would take it in though as the leather should really be able to withstand this kind of normal use.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

I got the dealer to look at mine. They said they would replace it under warranty, but I was also tipped off by someone else in the dealership that the new leather often doesn't match. I'll probably progress with it at some stage though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Are you fat?

About 11 stones 7 lbs, I fit in the seat quite easily if that helps . As rich100 said seats should be able to withstand normal use. It's not that bad yet but I'm sure it will get worse as time goes on. I'll try take some photos tomorrow in daylight.

Last edited by saltyamigo; 03-02-2017 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      03-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Also got quite bad wrinkling on the back seat where my daughter sits which I find a bit odd as the fronts are fine and she's the only one who sits there and she weighs next to nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
This could be that you're scuffing the front of the bolster as you ingress/alight from the car.

Your jeans/trousers will rough up the leather, place your right hand on the bolster as you get in this will stop your thigh/bum stressing the bolster.
      03-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
This could be that you're scuffing the front of the bolster as you ingress/alight from the car.

Your jeans/trousers will rough up the leather, place your right hand on the bolster as you get in this will stop your thigh/bum stressing the bolster.
The seat base is fine, its the upright that's the problem and I normally have fleece or a jacket on but nothing made from rough material, but yes agreed it probably is caused by getting in and out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
The seat base is fine, its the upright that's the problem and I normally have fleece or a jacket on but nothing made from rough material, but yes agreed it probably is caused by getting in and out of the car.
I'm sure the seat base is fine, it's your arse on the bolster (the side bit) as you get in that's causing the issues.

I'm really careful with that part of the procedure and have never suffered from a worn bolster since using the right hand technique. Oh er mrs...
      03-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Quote:
Had my Merino seat back replaced under warranty for the very same issue. Just over 12 months old.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2017, 05:16 AM   #15
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I'm sure the seat base is fine, it's your arse on the bolster (the side bit) as you get in that's causing the issues.

I'm really careful with that part of the procedure and have never suffered from a worn bolster since using the right hand technique. Oh er mrs...

Right, I see what you mean now

Attached a picture, it just looks dirty but it's not the colour is worn off. It's due it's first service in a couple of months so will see what they say whilst it's in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #16
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

That will get replaced under warranty no probs.

Evdok

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2017, 05:55 AM   #17
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

I'm like an contortionist getting in/out of mine.

Evdok

Appreciate 1
vadimo310.00
      03-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #18
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Right, I see what you mean now

Attached a picture, it just looks dirty but it's not the colour is worn off. It's due it's first service in a couple of months so will see what they say whilst it's in.
Yes, your arse has abraded it.
      03-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #19
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
That will get replaced under warranty no probs.
+1. I had the same problem a few years ago with light grey leather and it was replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #20
Cookies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Xdrive

I was cleaning the seats earlier today and noticed this issue on both the seat Base and back. Must give the dealer a ring on Monday.

Cheers

Cooks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #21
Cookies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Xdrive

Hi all.

Contacted my dealer (BMW that is) and they said that they will replace the base and back once only, as it's wear and tear. I argued the point, and said that I'll happily only ask for it to be replaced once if they can guarantee that it won't wear prematurely again.....

Oh, and the saddle brown seat covers won't arrive until mid May!

Slightly unimpressed with the service.

cooks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #22
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I have oyster in my 4 series 18000 miles and 16 months in and it's like new. I have treated it twice with Gliptone. Courtesy of Xenon
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0