E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > 335 ZSP - how's it holding up on rough roads?

04-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep
Drives: Three-Three-Five

335 ZSP - how's it holding up on rough roads?

Hey all -

Had a good test drive of a 335 sedan with Sport Pkg yesterday - which is what I'm strongly leaning toward after having driven a 335 w/o and a 328 with ZSP a couple weeks ago.

But a question for those in the DC area who regularly deal with our potholes, rough roads, steel plates on roads, etc...

How have you felt about the car's ride in everyday driving? And how has the car held up to the abuse of this area's roads, knowing that the bigger wheels, tighter suspension, etc. don't soften the road at all?

My current car feels like it is falling apart going over normal bumps and it rattles like crazy - at least part of which I attribute to a harder suspension and bigger wheels that mean the car slams into everything. Just want to make sure a 335 ZSP won't feel have that loose feel to it after a year or two, and wondering if the ZSP will feel too harsh for normal driving.

(Yes, I realize this might be a bit paranoid... but I have to ask those who know...)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Ryan335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

my 330i with ZSP (same everything as the 335i minus the engine) is pretty rough... too rough at times. Sometimes driving through gtown or other areas with sh!t roads I want to scream because the car indeed sounds like its falling apart. I attribute most of the to the run flats, but certain bumps hit really hard (loud bang in the cabin). Its strange because on the beltway or other highways the car truely rides as smooth as a 7 series, but on bumpy choppy pavement it is very harsh.

If you do get the sport pack, you will learn to adapt your driving to hit the bumps softer but its still harsh.

If i could do it all over again with the car I wouldn't change anything becasue the seats, steering wheel and wheels really make the car great, i guess you gotta take the good with the bad but once again its pretty rough
      04-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Agreed.

Although 19'' w/o RFT are a ittle easier than 18'' w/RFT, the suspension along with these roads provides frequent headaches for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
theDude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

My answer: Tire and Wheel warranty FTMFW.

I don't live in DC, but in Hampton Roads the highways and secondary roads are just as bad as in DC. I have to drive up to DC for work quite a bit, so I feel comfortable making a comparison.

To answer your question, specifically, I have the ZSP with 19 inch wheels, but no runflats. The overall ride itself isn't too bad, but hitting medium to large potholes is a jarring experience. Sounds like a damn mortar going off when you hit a big one.

I've already lost one tire (PS2) to a highway pothole at 85mph...left me with a bubble, but thankfully didn't give up the ghost. Since I had the warranty, BMW bought me a new tire...even if it wasn't 'stock' (i.e. - 235/35 front)

Anyhow, I wouldn't sacrifice performance for a more cushy ride, but that's just me...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMidd View Post
How have you felt about the car's ride in everyday driving? And how has the car held up to the abuse of this area's roads, knowing that the bigger wheels, tighter suspension, etc. don't soften the road at all?

My current car feels like it is falling apart going over normal bumps and it rattles like crazy - at least part of which I attribute to a harder suspension and bigger wheels that mean the car slams into everything. Just want to make sure a 335 ZSP won't feel have that loose feel to it after a year or two, and wondering if the ZSP will feel too harsh for normal driving.
+1 to everything Ryan335 said. ZSP isn't as hard as the suspension on a dedicated sports car, but it is hard enough to make you realize the roads around here are crap. Still, it's fine for daily driving. TBH, I think it could even be a little stiffer and still be fine for a DD. Maybe not all that much stiffer, though.

As for rattles, after 22K miles or so on the DC area roads with ZSP and 18" RFTs, my car is still rattle-free, knock on wood. Some roads do seem like they must be shaking the car to death, and you do get the occasional "HOLY CRAP WHAT WAS THAT!" moments with potholes, but it feels as solid now as when I got it. I got the wheel insurance but haven't had to use it. Knocking on wood again...
      04-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep
Drives: Three-Three-Five

Thanks guys. Who wants to take me for a ride in their ZSP to test it out? ;-)

It sounds like there will be some crashing over potholes, but that generally the ride is fine, esp if you are smart and avoid what you can. There are a few that have driven me crazy since I got my current car (like when you first hit the Key Bridge coming from Rosslyn, somehow there's an edge there as you move to the concrete that feels like you are climbing a curb in my Mazda). I'm fine with shaking occasionally, just had the hollow rattle/whack sounds I get right now that make me feel like each bump is unscrewing things a little bit more.

It also sounds like it is the run-flats that are the root of it, not the suspension. It is what it is, I guess.

Thanks again. If I'm going to drop this much money, I want to make sure I get exactly the right car. This board has been great for answering all my (rather boneheaded) questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i don't know, i just couldn't do it without the sports package IMHO.
that's just me. Then you have my wife, who would love a bmw with a buick suspension. :-) But since you live in DC maybe the non-sports would be the way too go or else you will cry everytime you drive. I know i do when i drive to DC. :=)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

get the ZSP but swap to non runflats......the rft's simply suck in every aspect. You wont regret it. I was amazed at how well the car road w/ regular tires.
      04-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
HennarotM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e90 M3

Not to go off-topic, but what're people's recommendations for A/S tires on the stock ZSP 18s? I have Pilot Sport All-Seasons on my e36 M3, but I can't get the right sizing for the 335. Any good/bad experiences with Eagle F1 All-Seasons or the Yokohama All-Seasons that Tire Rack has?
      04-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

check out General Exclaim UHP's too....good tire and CHEAP.
      04-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
cburton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

I have a 325 with the sport package and after a year of driving in SF I can say that you will def get some moments that rattle ur teeth and make the cd player skip. The seats and the steering wheel make it worth while though.

The potholes and construction zones took their toll on my allignment though.
Appreciate 0