F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Change wheel colour - something reversible!
proTUNING Freaks

02-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
Theone88
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d F36 GC

Change wheel colour - something reversible!

Hi guys,

I'd like to change my wheel colour but car is on a PCP so would like something that would be reversible.

Any suggestions most welcome!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

think the only option you have is plastidip

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
Rev77
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d tourer

If they're not diamond cut, you can have them powder coated in pretty much what ever colour you want, then have them redone prior to hand back in the original colour - that way they will look prestige too, mine cost £30 per wheel including removal / refit of tyre and balancing..
If they're diamond cut, I guess you'll have to live with them as they are, or but a secondhand set to powder coat as above - that's what I did...
Attached Images

02-23-2017, 02:59 AM   #4
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theone88 View Post
Hi guys,

I'd like to change my wheel colour but car is on a PCP so would like something that would be reversible.

Any suggestions most welcome!
Have you contacted your finance provider and asked the question about changing the wheel colour? They may just say its fine then you can do what you want.

Otherwise you have plastidip or buying some black wheels...
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Theone88
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d F36 GC

Gonna go the plasti dip route I think, cheap in comparison and I can just take it off if I mess it up!

Been on YouTube last couple of hours watching all the vids, they make it look so easy!

I dipped my grilles on my E90 but went OEM on the F30 and F36.

Not sure it's the right temp really to do the wheels so may wait until spring!

Will post pics once it's done, now just need to decide on colour!

Some nice guy on the FB group has offered to photoshop both, will post on here to see what people think!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:10 AM   #6
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theone88 View Post
Gonna go the plasti dip route I think, cheap in comparison and I can just take it off if I mess it up!

Been on YouTube last couple of hours watching all the vids, they make it look so easy!

I dipped my grilles on my E90 but went OEM on the F30 and F36.

Not sure it's the right temp really to do the wheels so may wait until spring!

Will post pics once it's done, now just need to decide on colour!

Some nice guy on the FB group has offered to photoshop both, will post on here to see what people think!
I've plastidipped the wheels on my A1 a while ago and they lost the gloss coat in a matter of days, and then started looking muddy all the time. I was getting the car washed at Tesco's and the pressure washer literally peeled off parts of the plastidip which meant I basically had to remove everything.

I tried to peel it off and it didn't peel (even though I put about 4 coats) so I would highly recommend being extremely generous with the coats if you are putting them but obviously every coat needs to be light enough to not run.

It never full came off and I'd have had to take the wheels of the car and scrub them down with goo gone to get rid of the plastidip.

TL;DR
- be generous with the number of coats you put on.
- allow each coat a good amount of time to dry properly ( I think I hurried mine too much)
- be careful with pressure washers lifting the plastidip
- enjoy!
Appreciate 1