BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

01-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Jobe.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Front/rear center console removal-E92

Disclaimer: You work on your vehicle at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage/problems to your vehicle because of this write-up. Only attempt repairs/modifications you are comfortable with. Sometimes it is better to pay a professional to perform the service/repair.

Vehicle: 2008 M3 Coupe. M/T.

First off be patient when working on your vehicle. I do recommend covering your seats/steering wheel to help protect the leather. Also, in the past I have wrapped the plastic trim tool with electrical tape to help protect trim.

Tools: small flat head screwdriver, 1/4 ratchet, 1/4 extension, 1/4 10mm socket, and plastic trim removal tool set.

-Remove the shift knob. The boot is clipped in. Using the trim tool pry the edge of the boot to release the clips. I started on the passenger side and worked my way around. There is a electrical connector for the illuminated knob under the boot. Go ahead and unplug this.

-The knob is removed by pulling up on the knob. This requires quite a bit of force. Pull straight up. BEWARE, CONTROL YOUR STRENGTH. I would hate for your to slam the knob into your mirror or overhead panel.

-Next remove the upper trim panel on the front center console. Using the trim tool pry up on the trim to release the clips. I released the rear of the panel first then pulled up on the front of the trim inside the boot cut out.

-Once the trim is up there are a few connectors to disconnect. The iDriver controller, EDC/DSC panel, and cigarette lighter.

-There are two black caps that cover the hardware. There caps are at the front of the console. These simply come loose by prying on them. Under these caps are two bolts. Use a 10mm socket to remove these bolts.

-Next I popped the parking brake boot loose. Same as the shift boot small clips hold the boot in place. Simply pop this loose. I fold this up, but keep it on the handle.

-Move to the rear of the front console. There is a trim piece at the back of the armrest. Pop this loose using a trim tool. Loosen on one side then move to the other.

-Now onto the rear console. Remove the A/C vent/compartment trim piece. Insert the trim tool under the trim and carefully pry up on each side. Working you way around to release the clips. There is one electrical connector at the front of the trim.

-Under the trim there are two black torx bolts under the A/C vent/compartment trim. Using a T20 torx socket remove these black bolts.

-At the rear of the rear console remove the compartment. This pops loose the same way the other trim was removed. Be careful with this piece. It take a little maneuvering to get this piece out. Remove the two 10mm nuts under the compartment. Once the compartment was removed I also removed the rear seat "cushion bridge" to give a little more room.

-At this point it is time to remove the rear console. Be patient here. I pulled up the rear of the console and simply worked it loose. There are two tabs at the front of the rear console that slide into the front console. As pulling up slowing pull towards the back of the vehicle to work the console loose. There are two connectors under the console for the rear foot lights. I tried to capture a picture of these. There is one on each side. Do not yank up on the console without unplugging these first. You can pull the console up far enough to get your hand in there to unplug each side.

-With the rear console out this will reveal the two 10mm nuts that hold the front console in place. These are at the rear of the front console. Using a 10mm socket remove these nuts. Also, unplug the comfort access antenna.

-Now it is time to remove the front console. BE PATIENT HERE! There are two connectors at the rear of the console. There is one in the middle of the console. Also, release the connector for the cigarette lighter. It is attached to the front of the console frame. Simply push the tab in the center and slide the connector towards the front of the vehicle. Depending on options you may have more connectors that need removed. Simply pull up the rear of the console and look under the console for any wiring that needs to be removed.

-Pull up the rear of the console and slide the console back while while working it loose. There are two tabs at the front of the console that slide into the under dash panels.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any pictures removing the front console. I needed both hands while doing this. Take you time here and slowly work the console out.

Anyone that has additional tips please recommend them.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
M43S7RO502.00
e92zero212.00
dlaw14.00
Theodore668.50
PACarGuy670.00
Hotter72.00
      01-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Evolve Automotive
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

great diy. thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
ripper0306
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Black & White Edition

thanks for the diy !
      06-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
pkime922007
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

Which one is the aux cable at the rear?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Jobe.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkime922007 View Post
Which one is the aux cable at the rear?
The 6th picture from the bottom shows the connector for the aux port. The connector for the aux port is white with a single black wire, and is at the back of the front center console.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
pkime922007
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

Cool Thx bro much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Thank you Jobe. I've just followed your diy to replace my phone cradle with the rubber tray and needed your guide to get to the blue connector at the back of the front centre console.

I found it easier to remove to rear centre console, with the rear seat cushions removed.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Thank you Jobe. I've just followed your diy to replace my phone cradle with the rubber tray and needed your guide to get to the blue connector at the back of the front centre console.

I found it easier to remove to rear centre console, with the rear seat cushions removed.
Bumping this thread back up, you are talking about the third wire that runs towards the back? Was yours an e90 or e92? I'm looking to disconnect that piece as well.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 07:16 PM   #9
Mikewaitwhat
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

What is the connector in your least photo?
Appreciate 0