F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Outgoing 5 series
ARMA SPEED

09-28-2016, 05:57 AM   #1
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Outgoing 5 series

Would be looking at one of these if I was in the market for a sporty barge

just looked on the BMW website and the 535d has a £11,600 deposit contribution!! And that is before you even start negotiating it is down to £40k

Serious value for money.
      09-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drisser View Post

just looked on the BMW website and the 535d has a £11,600 deposit contribution!! And that is before you even start negotiating it is down to £40k

Serious value for money.
The other often underestimated benefit of outgoing models, they are typically well specified and better built cars.

An engineer I worked with would never buy a new model car, due to the teething problems and early production issues. He'd always buy the run out model, decent deals and more reliable.

After watching the period for the F10/11 and F3x models, there have been a good deal of teething issues, a lot of early adopter frustrations.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drisser View Post

Serious value for money.
The other often underestimated benefit of outgoing models, they are typically well specified and better built cars.

An engineer I worked with would never buy a new model car, due to the teething problems and early production issues. He'd always buy the run out model, decent deals and more reliable.

After watching the period for the F10/11 and F3x models, there have been a good deal of teething issues, a lot of early adopter frustrations.
Excellent point. I worked at a BMW when the Bangle 7 series was launched. As well as being ugly as fuck it introduced i-drive and loads of new tech. It was a bloody nightmare! At one point we had to recall all the cars sold (to be honest not many!) for a complete reboot of all the control units. This took about 12 hrs per car and often you wouldn't find out it had crashed on the second or third control unit until the end and you'd have to do it all again..

If you can live with the old model go with a run-out model. Big discounts and proven tech and build quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

With the run outs you'll often get 'specials' built to get rid of parts. You had to be careful sometimes as the tooling/jigs etc on BIW didn't get looked after as much, so shut lines, fit and finish was sometimes an issue. Don't think it's as bad now.

Not a fan of the 5 series, but do acknowledge a fully loaded 535 is a nice place to be, especially the tourer.