E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > cobb tuner, next steps

09-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
Gilbert_Rebuild_E-90
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 bmw 335i

cobb tuner, next steps

I've read on this but the last one I seam to find is back from 2012, so i figure it wont hurt to start up a new one. that being said if you have some smart comment towards me, take a hike.

I bought my car in February 2014 bought it at auction crashed Alpine white sedan. I had to replace radiator, AC condenser, trans cooler, power steering cooler, auto trans etc.

I've been slowly modifying the car. I have installed a VRSF stepped intercooler, m3 rep front bumper, koni str.t suspension, H&R sport springs, injen cyborg intakes, and tuning never hurt anybody cobb acessport. I know that I need to shift towards downpipes and a exhuast next but what i wonder is with the current modifications what is a good route to take this to the next level also alternative routes different turbo options you know.

I plan (as of right now) to go with vargas turbos stage 1 hybrids, or the gc lite, lsd, hpfp upgrade, inlets, charpipe and diverter valves, water meth. let me know what you guys think, also what are recommended gauges to run on the Cobb accessport

sorry for no pics will try to upload
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Downpipes & you should be good power wise. Unless you want a lot more then other people can give you some more suggestions. IMHO anything over 400 is good enough.. Now Limited Slip!? Oh Heck Yeah!! Wavetrac n Quaife are the most popular I believe..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert_Rebuild_E-90 View Post
I've read on this but the last one I seam to find is back from 2012, so i figure it wont hurt to start up a new one. that being said if you have some smart comment towards me, take a hike.

I bought my car in February 2014 bought it at auction crashed Alpine white sedan. I had to replace radiator, AC condenser, trans cooler, power steering cooler, auto trans etc.

I've been slowly modifying the car. I have installed a VRSF stepped intercooler, m3 rep front bumper, koni str.t suspension, H&R sport springs, injen cyborg intakes, and tuning never hurt anybody cobb acessport. I know that I need to shift towards downpipes and a exhuast next but what i wonder is with the current modifications what is a good route to take this to the next level also alternative routes different turbo options you know.

I plan (as of right now) to go with vargas turbos stage 1 hybrids, or the gc lite, lsd, hpfp upgrade, inlets, charpipe and diverter valves, water meth. let me know what you guys think, also what are recommended gauges to run on the Cobb accessport

I'd get the chargepipe switched out pronto. There's always some wisenheimer out there who brags about running 20 psi boost for three years on the OEM chargepipe, but the truth is they can fracture even when running stock boost. You don't want to be That Guy who's stuck out there with a blown CP. Then I'd get the downpipes, then an lpfp upgrade, then inlets. Everything else is gravy, except maybe the LSD if you are the spirited power-through-corners type.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
mhllc
Rep
Drives: E92 335i AT RWD

Only have had my E92 for a few weeks now. It was a repo on auction so I picked it up with only mods in mind. So far:
Trans flush and fluids
R1 brakes / pads
Rohana RC10 19's w/ Mich stag. set up
Koni FSD w/ Eibach
Full exhaust
DP's
Charge pipe w/ hks
Cobb v3
Injen intake

One full day and the turbo's started blowing oil out the exhaust Saturday. So ordered today:
MMP stage 3 turbos
ER FMIC
inlets / outlets
MFactory LSD (bolted)

Two weeks it should be a different animal for sure. Next will be Fuel it and Oil cooler maybe meth but I am not interested in pushing max numbers. I want the car to be very drivable and putting down good numbers (500whp) I would be a happy camper. I have now out spent what I paid for the car in the first place but it will be a fun car and not my daily although I think I will be wanting to drive it to the mail box every day I am guessing.
      09-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Gilbert_Rebuild_E-90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
I'd get the chargepipe switched out pronto. There's always some wisenheimer out there who brags about running 20 psi boost for three years on the OEM chargepipe, but the truth is they can fracture even when running stock boost. You don't want to be That Guy who's stuck out there with a blown CP. Then I'd get the downpipes, then an lpfp upgrade, then inlets. Everything else is gravy, except maybe the LSD if you are the spirited power-through-corners type.

Ya I am leaning towards the cobb charge pipe and pair it with turbo smart dual port bov. I peak at 17.8 psi on the ots map waiting for the rest of my bolt ons to do a pro tune ive heard that the ots maps arent the greatest, and see what kind of numbers the car will put down. went on tunerstock.com and fell in love with the vanguard exhaust maybe paired with VRSF DPs want the car to sound crisp not a pedal bike with a beer can on the front wheel who would you recommend the lpfp from??
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ya I am leaning towards the cobb charge pipe and pair it with turbo smart dual port bov. I peak at 17.8 psi on the ots map waiting for the rest of my bolt ons to do a pro tune ive heard that the ots maps arent the greatest, and see what kind of numbers the car will put down. went on tunerstock.com and fell in love with the vanguard exhaust maybe paired with VRSF DPs want the car to sound crisp not a pedal bike with a beer can on the front wheel who would you recommend the lpfp from??
Fuel-It, all the way. A word to the wise, though, if you're thinking about upgrading turbos and getting port injection or TBI down the road, it might be worth your while spending the extra $$ on the stage 3 LPFP rather than the stage 2. The stage 2 is fine for me, but I'm basically at my power goal (~500whp) and have no intention of upgrading turbos and getting PI or TBI.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
Gilbert_Rebuild_E-90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhllc View Post
Only have had my E92 for a few weeks now. It was a repo on auction so I picked it up with only mods in mind. So far:
Trans flush and fluids
R1 brakes / pads
Koni FSD w/ Eibach
Full exhaust
DP's
Charge pipe w/ hks
Cobb v3
Injen intake

One full day and the turbo's started blowing oil out the exhaust Saturday. So ordered today:
MMP stage 3 turbos
ER FMIC
inlets / outlets
MFactory LSD (bolted)

Two weeks it should be a different animal for sure. Next will be Fuel it and Oil cooler maybe meth but I am not interested in pushing max numbers. I want the car to be very drivable and putting down good numbers (500whp) I would be a happy camper. I have now out spent what I paid for the car in the first place but it will be a fun car and not my daily although I think I will be wanting to drive it to the mail box every day I am guessing.
Ya since I bought it in 2014 I have only put like 5k miles on it (garage queen) I like where your at with your power plans I want something simular to what you are thinking 550 whp ball park and I would like to run water meth to keep intake temps lower since these cars love to heat soak and run at high temps, on your cobb what are the guages that you like to keep on your AP monitor?? passenger side inlets or oem location?? how do you think the mmp stage 3 kit is compared to the vargas setup?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
Gilbert_Rebuild_E-90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
Fuel-It, all the way. A word to the wise, though, if you're thinking about upgrading turbos and getting port injection or TBI down the road, it might be worth your while spending the extra $$ on the stage 3 LPFP rather than the stage 2. The stage 2 is fine for me, but I'm basically at my power goal (~500whp) and have no intention of upgrading turbos and getting PI or TBI.
damn those are good numbers on stock turbos, and honestly that was my first plan to just keep my OEM turbos and build off that but I didn't know how well the stock turbos would hold up with that kind of power and my wastegates started to rattle the flap on them so I just said f it make a little more power with a little bit more reliability.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
damn those are good numbers on stock turbos, and honestly that was my first plan to just keep my OEM turbos and build off that but I didn't know how well the stock turbos would hold up with that kind of power and my wastegates started to rattle the flap on them so I just said f it make a little more power with a little bit more reliability.
Stock turbos can handle 25 psi or so, and should be fine doing 22+ psi as I am. Yours are 6 years older than mine, though, and it's no surprise you have WG rattle. The long term reliability of aftermarket turbos has yet to be proven, so at this point I would go for OEM turbos if I had to replace mine. They'll all rattle eventually.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #10
mhllc
Rep
Drives: E92 335i AT RWD

Quote:
Ya since I bought it in 2014 I have only put like 5k miles on it (garage queen) I like where your at with your power plans I want something simular to what you are thinking 550 whp ball park and I would like to run water meth to keep intake temps lower since these cars love to heat soak and run at high temps, on your cobb what are the guages that you like to keep on your AP monitor?? passenger side inlets or oem location?? how do you think the mmp stage 3 kit is compared to the vargas setup?
I only had a very short run in it when the turbo's started to blow oil so I haven't really played with the cobb thus far. The MMP are due to ship out in one week and install that weekend by my mechanic along with the fmic and lsd. I like the idea on water/meth as well. I will have logging to do and custom tuning via bq tuning to see where it is. fuel will be next i am sure of it.
On Vargas I hear to many issues either very long waiting times or product issues. The new "game changer" I not a fan of the cast iron manifold with high heat it can crack and with stainless it will just expand and contract. The separate turbo from manifold is another seal to worry about. Just not willing to be the to go down that road.
I would have done the pure stage 2 but the mmp stage 3 with like set up was 700 less and built very well. I didn't do the wpc coating as the lead time was too long and I am wanting to hit a couple autocross events soon but i like that option. pure or mmp imo, if they were both the same price i would have done pure possibly.
      09-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #11
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW
Quote:

Are there any synergies with the downpipes AND inlet install?? If so, perhaps both of those at the same time may make sense. I looked at DP install on my XI, and quickly punted... Paid $300 to get er done... Point being, you may save by combining installs unless you can DIY everything.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert_Rebuild_E-90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhllc View Post
Trans flush and fluids
R1 brakes / pads
Koni FSD w/ Eibach
Full exhaust
DP's
Charge pipe w/ hks
Cobb v3
Injen intake

MMP stage 3 turbos
ER FMIC
inlets / outlets
MFactory LSD (bolted)

I have Cobb AP3, but never keep it plugged in. Hence gauges are not an issue. When tuning with PTF, however, Dzenno asks for certain data depending on goals and that drives the log list. My car runs just sub 400 awhp, so it's probably less critical to keep a constant eye on every piece of data. That said, it's also rock-solid reliable and runs 12.9 in the 1/4 on pump gas... Those aren't shocking numbers, but pretty stout for a 4dr all wheel...

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #13
AK.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E92 M3

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [10.00]
I think maybe it's time to ditch the Cobb and run MHD or JB4 + BEF.. Cobb is way too outdated and they don't care to update because they have a bigger community for Subaru and GTR's..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Donwpipe
Charge pipe
Intercooler
Inlets

We had some fitment issues with Cobb CP, do VRSF instead

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #15
Gilbert_Rebuild_E-90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK. View Post
I think maybe it's time to ditch the Cobb and run MHD or JB4 + BEF.. Cobb is way too outdated and they don't care to update because they have a bigger community for Subaru and GTR's..
Damn that sucks to hear I just picked it up and what I read really weren't bad reviews on the AP
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #16
Gilbert_Rebuild_E-90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Donwpipe
Charge pipe
Intercooler
Inlets

We had some fitment issues with Cobb CP, do VRSF instead
Thanks for the heads up I have no problem going with a VRSF DP
The
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #17
NoSlow5oh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:
You would do better picking just about any other chargepipe than cobb. There are numerous threads about fitment issues with them on here. Just search.

Also, remove that Cobb AP and go MHD + JB4 if you plan to run meth. Cobb has pretty much ended support for the N54s. I think the JB4 has an integrated meth controller and MHD back end flash will control fuel/timing.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 12:12 AM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up I have no problem going with a VRSF DP
The
Check the vendor section for combo deals