E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 2007 335i boost issues

09-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
Guelph_Guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i MT7

2007 335i boost issues

Hi Everyone; I've read as much as I could about boost issues but a little puzzled on this one ..

I've got a 2007 335i manual transmission 158,000 Kms (100K miles) , stock no tune... Car was running like a beast even stock. Was passing someone on the highway at about 5500 rpm dtc light blinks, lost power , no codes no ses no cel.

Car seemed okay but had little to no boost. No torque, So as I was refurbishing it anyhow I thought I would do some general maintenance and see if I could get it looked after.

1. Checked all piping no visible issues intercooler hot side/cold side looks good.

2. diverter valves we switched over to a new set of turbosmart.

3. All vacuum lines changed to hi temp silicon. and yes I have vacuum front to back.

4. Boost solenoids changed as well ( new ones) ..

5. Had my indi mechanic check the turbos. Exercised the wastegates with 6" HG they hold vacuum and run fine both front and back. I have vacuum at the canisters and to the turbos. And no turbo rattle I can hear while decelerating.

6. Checked charge pipe no visible issues or O ring Damage. Did swap it out for a new metal charge pipe and O ring . Fitment was fine.

7.Compressor side of turbos and piping all connected.

8. Car does have a valve cover gasket leak and a rough idle and miss when cold. Idles rock solid when warm. I'm doing the VC gasket this weekend.. Oil consumption is not high.

I know that the leaky valve cover affects Vacuum , could this possibly be my issue?

9. only went into limp mode once. had half engine light . read code using android torque had p0015. Somebody recommended cleaning and swapping the Vanos actuators. Done.... no issues code cleared.

Mileage as dropped quite a bit was getting 7.1-7.3/100K now I'm at 9.6-9.7 /100K

Does the ECU disable boost if there is an issue and does it need to be reset to restore it ..?

Car drives like a 328.. no torque or boost up to 3k rpm.. seems okay above that ..

I know I need better diagnostics, The only thing left would be a leaky intercooler, so I guess I need to pressurize the system from the hot side of the intercooler and have a listen..

I'm open to pointers from the group on here. And would be grateful.

I was planning to get the MHD Flasher but have held off due to this issue. is the MHD flasher strong enough to source out the fault codes..or do I need a diagnostic tool that will go deeper into the ECU.

Thanks
K
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

You can download MHD and read any codes present for free just fyi.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Guelph_Guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i MT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
You can download MHD and read any codes present for free just fyi.
Okay was not aware of that , I'll order a cable and drop the money for it ..

Thanks
Appreciate 0