BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Xpel and SunTek - Paint Protection Film

09-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Xpel and SunTek - Paint Protection Film

Hi, I have learned lots M2 owners used Xpel for PPM but not much for SunTek.
Do you have any suggestion for either above one? I got the quote for the full front hood, fender, bump around 1,950USD by SunTek which I feel it's too higher after searched around the cost for Xpel. It's really making me so struggle for the decision about this investment. It will be DD and living in Ohio which have the snow in the winter.

Hoping you can share some advice if it's a reasonable price and the suggested brand.

2017 - LBB, DCT.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Do you have any suggestion for either above one? I got the quote for the full front hood, fender, bump around 1,950USD by SunTek which I feel it's too higher after searched around the cost for Xpel. It's really making me so struggle for the decision about this investment. It will be DD and living in Ohio which have the snow in the winter.

Hoping you can share some advice if it's a reasonable price and the suggested brand.

2017 - LBB, DCT.

Thanks.

x pel ultimate is the best of the protective films, it is what goes on all of the high end cars because it is self healing and they have an excellent track record for service if there is an issue. Price is market dependent so a good price in AZ may not be the same in an area with more or less competition and of course the better shops tend to charge more. For what this shop quoted you I am getting Xpel on the full hood, bumper, mirrors and headlights and 3m crystalline all around. This is from a shop that does McLaren P1's etc in the Scottsdale area. I think that price is silly for probably any market. You should disclose your area so folks can make meaningful recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 12:20 AM   #3
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

I got xpel for a m6 gc for 750$ in Altoona pa.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 05:47 AM   #4
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
Quote:

2017 - LBB, DCT.

Thanks.

x pel ultimate is the best of the protective films, it is what goes on all of the high end cars because it is self healing and they have an excellent track record for service if there is an issue. Price is market dependent so a good price in AZ may not be the same in an area with more or less competition and of course the better shops tend to charge more. For what this shop quoted you I am getting Xpel on the full hood, bumper, mirrors and headlights and 3m crystalline all around. This is from a shop that does McLaren P1's etc in the Scottsdale area. I think that price is silly for probably any market. You should disclose your area so folks can make meaningful recommendations.
Thank u, appreciated your sharing. Yeah, I really feel the price is not reasonable. I'm in Cincinnati Ohio, the shop quoted me in Columbus, Ohio. The reason I'm intending to do because they do lots fine cars. And seems like pretty good installation.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
Caper-1
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Thank u, appreciated your sharing. Yeah, I really feel the price is not reasonable. I'm in Cincinnati Ohio, the shop quoted me in Columbus, Ohio. The reason I'm intending to do because they do lots fine cars. And seems like pretty good installation.
Have you looked at 3M Pro Series Protection? This has 7 year warranty and is also self healing. I had it installed on trunk ledge, hood, front bumper, rocker panels and door pulls in Canada for $1380.00 + tax.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

I went for Prestige Clearguard Nano on my M2, its by far the most transparent and least has the least "orange peel" of any film. Its also super hydrophobic and self healing. Its a good bit more expensive than the others but I feel its worth it. Did whole front bumper, whole hood, fenders, rocker panels, first 1/4 of the roof, a pillars, both sets of my mirrors, bottom 2" of the doors, luggage loading area, behind the rear wheels, and the gas door for $2,500 but that was sorta a friend price from my guy. Looks amazing though.

Appreciate 1
      09-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
I went for Prestige Clearguard Nano on my M2, its by far the most transparent and least has the least "orange peel" of any film. Its also super hydrophobic and self healing. Its a good bit more expensive than the others but I feel its worth it. Did whole front bumper, whole hood, fenders, rocker panels, first 1/4 of the roof, a pillars, both sets of my mirrors, bottom 2" of the doors, luggage loading area, behind the rear wheels, and the gas door for $2,500 but that was sorta a friend price from my guy. Looks amazing though.

Your car looks great, I will have to take a look at that film.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

SunTek. No complaints. Front bumper and headlights. $500.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #9
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-too
Finally got my allocation for an October build! Once all is in process I have to get to auto paintguard to find out some prices!
Appreciate 1
Em-too279.50
      09-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybmmr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-too
Finally got my allocation for an October build! Once all is in process I have to get to auto paintguard to find out some prices!
Congratulations!
Appreciate 1
luvmybmmr305.00
      09-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #11
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Every high end reputable shop that carries (keyword) both Suntek and Xpel that I spoke with to get an estimate say Suntek is the preferred film and it's cost is cheaper. It's clearer, same healing properties, and has same durability as Xpel. Plus it's been around longer.
      09-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg
Every high end reputable shop that carries (keyword) both Suntek and Xpel that I spoke with to get an estimate say Suntek is the preferred film and it's cost is cheaper. It's clearer, same healing properties, and has same durability as Xpel. Plus it's been around longer.
Thanks for your sharing. After the couple days approached with those higher end detailer, they answered all the same thing as you mentioned. I'm going to install Suntek this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #13
SoCalBMWGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 6 Speed Manual

I am looking to put a clear bra on my car (full front), on the 28th of November. I am debating between Xpel ultimate and Suntek. The installer says that Suntek goes on easier and it has a glossier finish, while Xpel has a less glossy finish, more of an orange peel finish in regards to texture. It will cost me the same to do either film. Not sure which one to do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SoCalBMWGuy; 12-11-2016 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I don't understand where all this is coming from. Xpel has been the absolute rage on here with everyone doing it and saying its the best product etc. etc. now the convo is its orange peel finish with a less gloss finish and harder and more expensive to install???? what the...?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #15
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBMWGuy View Post
I am looking to put a clear bra on my car (full front), on the 28th of November. I am debating between Xpel ultimate and Suntek. The installer says that Suntek goes on easier and it has a glossier finish, while Xpel has a less glossy finish, more of an orange peel finish in regards to texture. It will cost me $2,000 to do either film. Not sure which one to do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'm with you here. Majority of the people on this forum have been doing XPEL ultimate but based on my research I would personally go with SUNTEK since it provides better clarity. I'm not sure about protection wise vs XPEL but I wouldn't mind giving up slight protection for better looks. Also another brand I was considering was Nano-Fusion which is an OEM certified PPF but I haven't looked into that as much but heard it's one of the best if not the best you can get. You can't go wrong with either one really and it's also recommended to do coating on top of PPF to bring back the gloss look and more.

I posted a thread about PPF and coatings you might want to check out. Good luck!

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1315358
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #16
SoCalBMWGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 6 Speed Manual

My installer says that the protection level from suntek and xpel is the same. I'll post pics on Tuesday when I get my car back with its new suntek clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #17
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBMWGuy View Post
My installer says that the protection level from suntek and xpel is the same. I'll post pics on Tuesday when I get my car back with its new suntek clear bra.
Good to hear you went with suntek. I've seen cars with xpel and suntek at various shops and even at SEMA. I'm impressed with suntek the most. The only minor drawback of Suntek is it has 5 year warranty vs Xpel's 10 year warranty. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #18
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I got Suntek as the price of XPEL in my area was 1.5-2 times the cost. Overall I am pleased with the clarity/look/coverage vs price paid. It doesn't provide as much coverage since the kit for the M2 is more limited then what XPEL has, but I did get the full hood done even though its not part of the kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
BC321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

I did Suntek when I got mine in April. Very happy with it and no issues. The guy who did mine has been in the industry for over 20 years and works on some very high end cars. He says Suntek is the best hands down for what it's worth.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      11-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #20
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2tek View Post
I got Suntek as the price of XPEL in my area was 1.5-2 times the cost. Overall I am pleased with the clarity/look/coverage vs price paid. It doesn't provide as much coverage since the kit for the M2 is more limited then what XPEL has, but I did get the full hood done even though its not part of the kit.

hmm...what's parts did suntek not cover on the kit? It only does partial areas for certain body parts?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #21
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHOI View Post
hmm...what's parts did suntek not cover on the kit? It only does partial areas for certain body parts?
Here is a link to the pieces you can purchase for the M2: M2 - Suntek

As part of the pre-cut kit, it is only partial hood, partial fenders, no rocker panels, etc.

I got the full hood done with a custom piece, everything else I left as is. I'm satisfied with the coverage.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #22
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I finally went with Suntek and 100% satisfied. Besides the film, I would say the most important part is about the shop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
D CHOI580.00