THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Just finished my first HPDE.

09-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Just finished my first HPDE.

I had a fun time. I was a little nervous each time I went out, but the more I learned, and got comfortable, the more fun I had. I learned a lot. I'm not sure if I'm going back or not, the next event is in October, so that gives me some time to think about it. I definitely see the appeal. I certainly have much more respect for my M235i now, and realize the car can do much more than my experience level dictates.

My instructor was awesome, even when I screwed up. I had a weird experience on my last session of the day, which was longer than the others. I was just about out of gas, and got a drivetrain failure. The car lost power, wouldn't allow me to accelerate, and died. My instructor had me pull over and let the tranny cool down, and wasn't sure what had happened. After a few minutes my car started up and I eased into the pits.

I did a search on this issue and, heard it could be bad gas. I know once I fueled back up I had no issues. I had to get the expensive gas at the track, just enough to get me to a nearby regular gas station. Other than that it was a good experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

You think you were getting fuel starvation in the turns? Could of been causing heating issues, but not really sure what heat or knock sensor car has or if they even detect that scenario.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

That's interesting and I haven't heard that before, maybe. I know it's happened to other people in M235i's. I was driving pretty hard on that last session. When I started I had about 25 miles of fuel reserve left. It was an extra long section and a got quite a few laps in before it happened.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

Did you get track insurance? I'm doing my first track event ever in Oct (also instructed) and that's the last big decision. Did you have everything on or Sport+?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

u sure you didnt blow your charge pipe?
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 05:17 AM   #6
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redontheline View Post
Did you get track insurance? I'm doing my first track event ever in Oct (also instructed) and that's the last big decision. Did you have everything on or Sport+?
Yeah, I got insurance for that weekend. I like the saying, it's better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it. My instructor suggested sport mode since it gives you better throttle response and steering. It also leaves everything on (the nannies as you guys say) for a novice like me. I also told him I liked sport-mode. One thing to note, my car had low pressure in one tire. After I aired it up for the next session it took a lap before the message cleared on the Idrive screen and it would allow me to go into sport-mode. Driving a lap in comfort-mode wasn't that bad. The car still tightens up once you start pushing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
u sure you didnt blow your charge pipe?

No I think it's ok, the drivetrain malfunction message cleared after I started the car again. I've driven the car for a day afterwards, and have no loss in power and the car drives as it did before. I have to get familiar with the terminology you all use on here, it's slightly different than on the Evo forums. They call the charge pipe the UICP & LICP (upper & lower intercooler pipes). I heard the upper pipe being called the charge pipe one the Evo forum, but i'm not sure which one you guys mean on here.

When I upgraded the upper intercooler pipe on my Evo X, I didn't tighten the connection to the intercooler enough and could notice the difference immediately on acceleration. I'm not as familiar with the design of the M235i system so this is something I will check for, but the car drives fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:35 AM   #7
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
You think you were getting fuel starvation in the turns? Could of been causing heating issues, but not really sure what heat or knock sensor car has or if they even detect that scenario.
I had the drivetrain malfunction a couple times at the track from what I believe to be fuel starvation. I always keep the tank above 1/4 now and have no issues.
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      09-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
mazerrackham
Private
Rep
Drives: i3, M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
One thing to note, my car had low pressure in one tire. After I aired it up for the next session it took a lap before the message cleared on the Idrive screen and it would allow me to go into sport-mode.
Congrats on your first event, I'm glad you had fun

Also just for future reference if you hold down the Sport button for a few seconds it will still go into sport mode even if you have low tire alerts.
Appreciate 2
qnet681.50