F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328d transmission shifts
GetBMWParts

08-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
nvidia
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

328d transmission shifts

Does anyone else with a 328d notice that from first to second the shift is a little rough? Seems like it tries to spool up the turbo by hanging a bit in first then shifting a little harshly into second? Only have 40k miles on mine so hoping its not a transmission issue. Coming from other luxury cars my 328d is far from smooth shifting. Also notice that when coming to a stop, the downshifts are rough as well. They really stop the car and make it hard to come to a smooth stop. Any input appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia View Post
Does anyone else with a 328d notice that from first to second the shift is a little rough? Seems like it tries to spool up the turbo by hanging a bit in first then shifting a little harshly into second? Only have 40k miles on mine so hoping its not a transmission issue. Coming from other luxury cars my 328d is far from smooth shifting. Also notice that when coming to a stop, the downshifts are rough as well. They really stop the car and make it hard to come to a smooth stop. Any input appreciated, thanks.
Many people first experiencing BMW's shift logic have commented on downshifts. BMW does it to keep the turbo spooled up so that full power is available. If you object to it, go to the eco pro setup and enable "coasting".

1st-2nd sometimes is "rough" with light throttle, or when the engine is cold and it's keeping revs up to help the car warm up quickly. I notice this a bit on my wife's 328xd (and on my older 335d.)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
nvidia
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Many people first experiencing BMW's shift logic have commented on downshifts. BMW does it to keep the turbo spooled up so that full power is available. If you object to it, go to the eco pro setup and enable "coasting".

1st-2nd sometimes is "rough" with light throttle, or when the engine is cold and it's keeping revs up to help the car warm up quickly. I notice this a bit on my wife's 328xd (and on my older 335d.)
Yes you said it exactly. Its on light through that it gets rough. Is there no way around this?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia View Post
Yes you said it exactly. Its on light through that it gets rough. Is there no way around this?
Not really. More throttle works - just drive briskly. Some people drive in sport mode.

Frankly, 1st-2nd is a problem on every transmission, even manuals.
Appreciate 0